Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

924S fuel smell in cabin AFTER car turned off

Just drove about 5 hours in the 924S today, didn't notice any fuel smells (just usual old-car smells), except right after filling up like I always do (need to do that filler neck seal one of these days). Anyhow, when I got home I probably had about 1/3 of a tank.

I went inside for a bit and then back out to the car to unload some stuff and check my tire pressures. While doing the tires I didn't notice any fuel smell at all, but as soon as I opened the door (windows were up, since rain is expected) the interior smelled strongly of fuel. I know for a fact it isn't coming from the access port over the tank (the sender unit is sealed well, and that cap is also sealed well with aluminum tape), and can't see why it would come from the filler since I had driven ~150 miles since last fill-up and tank showing 1/3 level.

So, could this be something to do with the return system or something? Still not sure why i'd smell it in the car but not outside. I got under the car and sniffed around (no fuel smell) and sniffed around the front left fender where the charcoal canister is (no fuel smell).

Only other thing that I'm thinking could be getting fumes in the car is the breather tank inside the passenger c-pillar? I've never opened up that area but is that something that would expel fumes after the car is turned off? I guess I'm not totally clear on what the expansion tank does exactly....
Old 08-05-2018, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

One possibility is small cracks in the tank itself, as it's probably plastic. I've had my 924S for 5 years
and started noticing a strong smell when the windows are down, or the sunroof is opened and I'm moving. Initially it was coming from the fuel sender itself, but I ended up JB welding it and it went away for a while. If I pull the sticky aluminum pad and the rubber cover and get down to the opening where I can actually sniff it (not easy for an old man)..it's strong, especially just after a fill-up
Old 08-06-2018, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast54 View Post
One possibility is small cracks in the tank itself, as it's probably plastic. I've had my 924S for 5 years
and started noticing a strong smell when the windows are down, or the sunroof is opened and I'm moving. Initially it was coming from the fuel sender itself, but I ended up JB welding it and it went away for a while. If I pull the sticky aluminum pad and the rubber cover and get down to the opening where I can actually sniff it (not easy for an old man)..it's strong, especially just after a fill-up
yeah, I never smell it when driving, with windows open or closed (AC on)....really just AFTER shutting the car down...hence why I figured it must be something with the evap system....
Old 08-06-2018, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Proprietoristicly Refined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast54 View Post
One possibility is small cracks in the tank itself, as it's probably plastic. I've had my 924S for 5 years.

More than likely a steel tank that due to chassis design has caused cracks in the top of the tank.

Gas fumes? Tank leaks? Read this.

J_AZ
Old 08-06-2018, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_AZ View Post
More than likely a steel tank that due to chassis design has caused cracks in the top of the tank.

Gas fumes? Tank leaks? Read this.

J_AZ
yeah, I've read all those, and that certainly could be an issue, but...

1. When there is that smell in the car, if I get under the car and sniff around, there is no fuel smell at all. To my knowledge, gasoline vapors are heavier than air and should "fall to the ground" all other things being equal, shouldn't they?

2. Also, if the tank was leaky, why wouldn't i smell it when the car is running (even just idling in the driveway), but only when the car is turned off?

3. Isn't the gas tank separated from the interior by a full firewall? I know there are 2 plugs and the wiring pass-through, but all three of those are sealed up pretty much airtight on my car (lots of black silicone and aluminum tape), so where else could vapors from the top of the tank come into the car?

4. I did, however, notice today that the hose to the charcoal canister is actually broken where the braided hose transitions to the black plastic hose in the driver's rear wheel well. I don't smell any gassy smell from there, and it looks like it's been broken for a long time.

Really I'm looking for some thoughts about the evap system....i think that may be the culprit, especially considering the broken charcoal canister hose.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'd look at the evap system first also.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2018, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
My 951 smelled like gas when I shut down the car. I had a leaky injector, so it only smelled on shutdown because when the engine was running the fumes were being blown out of the engine bay, and of course there was no fuel leaking when the engine was off so it had all evaporated. I am not sure how the smell got into my cabin (possibly a leaky heater hose or something?) but it did.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Recreational User

Garage
I've owned two '88 924s over the years. For both cars, I had to replace the tube running between the fuel tank and filler cap. In both cases, I knew there was an issue because there was a fuel leak visible from the exterior of the car. Maybe you have a slight leak here. The exterior vapors may be evaporating quickly but - if your hatch isn't sealed very well - the interior vapors are getting trapped due to the lack of ventilation. Just a guess.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie Boy View Post
I've owned two '88 924s over the years. For both cars, I had to replace the tube running between the fuel tank and filler cap. In both cases, I knew there was an issue because there was a fuel leak visible from the exterior of the car. Maybe you have a slight leak here. The exterior vapors may be evaporating quickly but - if your hatch isn't sealed very well - the interior vapors are getting trapped due to the lack of ventilation. Just a guess.
thanks, that's next on the list!
Old 09-11-2018, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: