Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rainwater in floorboards

We've had some fierce rains over the last week and I've noticed saturated carpet in both the front and rear floorboards. I've checked the door seals, the roof seals.Since there's a hump between the front and rear I don't think it's coming from the battery tray area. What other area might I be looking at? Unfortunately I haven't been in the car during the rains. I can always run it through a carwash I imagine
Old 08-19-2018, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
In the Fires of Hell.....

Garage
Battery tray, or possibly the tubes for the drains from the sunroof are detached/clogged.

Water will get to rear floorboard, no problems, from battery tray.
1987 924S 944 SPEC racecar - '88 pistons/DME, short 5th
1987 944S - Restored salvage title, ready to live again
Old 08-19-2018, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Patrick

Garage
I agree; remove the battery and closely inspect the entire tray area. If it looks good, then it well might be the sunroof drains (forward side).
Old 08-19-2018, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'd say battery tray, but it would be tough for that to get to the rear floor too. I'd say sunroof drains. BTW, my sunroof drains are perfectly clear, my car has brand-new sunroof seals, and the sunroof STILL leaks (drip, drip) in heavy rains.

Is it only the passenger side, or both sides?
Old 08-19-2018, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Just the passenger side. I see nothing in the battery tray to indicate it would be the issue. I also blew compressed air in both drain tubes and they sound hollow. Where do they actually drain to? However, I did notice that the passenger door is leaving a gap of about an 1/8" -1/4"at the latching end. I don't recall ever having that issue before, so....
Old 08-20-2018, 04:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

When my car did that it was the drain by the fuse box. I had to reach behind the wheel well liner to clear it out from behind. It looked clean in the fusebox area but water would not drain quickly enough in a downpour. From the wheel well it looked like a birdnest there was so much stuck in there.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Check the sunroof drains well. Don't waste your money on a car wash, just get a cup of water and pour it into the drains. You should see water coming out by the rear tire and behind the front depending on which drain it is.

Even with my sunroof drains clear, I still got water in the rear seat from a bad body sunroof seal which allowed water to come down the b-pillar and into the floorboard.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Poured water down all 4 & the only clear is behind the driver. Getting good flow at that one..more compressed air and we'll see what we shall see
Old 08-20-2018, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Use a piece of weed trimmer line and shove it down each of the sunroof drains. If that doesn't work, use a length of aluminum (soft) wire with the end tucked up and wrapped with electrical tape.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkshdw View Post
Use a piece of weed trimmer line and shove it down each of the sunroof drains. If that doesn't work, use a length of aluminum (soft) wire with the end tucked up and wrapped with electrical tape.
I second this, don't use compressed air. You can blow the hose off and it is less effective.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
It looks like I have the same issue,only on the driver side . While running a hose on the windshield close to the wiper .I was able to put a mirror on the floor with a flashlight shining on the mirror that cast light up under the dash and looked in mirror to see up under the dash and I was able to see water coming in what look like a little pinhole or maybe even a weep hole but not sure where it is on the outside .🤔
Old 09-05-2018, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish44j View Post
I'd say battery tray, but it would be tough for that to get to the rear floor too.
Mine managed to soak the entire carpet, in front and behind the passenger seat- it was the battery tray, I dont have a sunroof. Just throwing that out there.
https://instagram.com/bradical924/
Old 09-06-2018, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: