Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Battery Box!

Does anyone have any pictures or could take pictures of a good well maintained battery box area of their car (without the battery) ....mines has rust holes all in it and I lost the bolt down to the battery box because it is all rusted out. I wanted to see what a good example of one looks like so I could get as close as possible to it when I repair mines....like I don't even see the drain hole anymore maybe it has rusted into a bigger hole oh! mines is a 87 S model not sure if this makes a difference but....

Will post pictures later, at work right now, so I can't post them now.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I don't even see the drain hole anymore maybe it has rusted into a bigger hole oh! mines is a 87 S model not sure if this makes a difference but....

Drain opening is on the left under the fender side. Same applies to the driver side opening,on the right side.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Do these help? Photos are from a '87 944T; I linked them to my blog cuz for whatever reason the pelican photo attach didn't work.

Last edited by Waz951; 08-29-2018 at 11:31 AM..
Old 08-29-2018, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Battery Box Repair

Yes those do help....can you please point out the drain holes? These are from my car....any suggestions on what to do...I wanted to keep the battery hold down bar in the middle of the box but mines is pretty rusted...just wonder about how could save it or just cut it out and weld a new piece in....?

Old 08-29-2018, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I updated the first photo on the blog take a look. As for fixing your setup I think its usually common to cut out the crap metal and weld in a donor from a scrap car.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
So that pink circle by the hold down bar is the drain hole...it almost looks like an rip?
Old 08-29-2018, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

If you go to the drivers side; directly under the hood shock attachment point you'll see another example of the same style of drain inlet.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
So as long as that is cleaned out periodically on both sides I shouldn't have any water build-up...Right?
Old 08-29-2018, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
The rust hole you are looking at is right above the passenger floorboard and the DME computer and wiring harness

It needs to be repaired otherwise water will get inside and damage the computer and wiring harness.

It was caused by battery acid.

Nothing is more important to these cars than the electrical system.

I used POR-15 and fiberglass mat to repair mine. Make sure you do it in a well ventilated outside area.

Last edited by djnolan; 08-29-2018 at 03:03 PM..
Old 08-29-2018, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Besides that side drain, there is another drain at the center-front bottom of the battery box. It is round in shape, drains directly into the engine compartment and usually has a hinged rubber flap covering it in the engine compartment. It is subject to being plugged by dirt, trash and leaves. Just stick your finger through it periodically to keep it clear.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring44 View Post
Besides that side drain, there is another drain at the center-front bottom of the battery box. It is round in shape, drains directly into the engine compartment and usually has a hinged rubber flap covering it in the engine compartment. It is subject to being plugged by dirt, trash and leaves. Just stick your finger through it periodically to keep it clear.

Pictures please....
Old 08-29-2018, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
[QUOTE=djnolan;10161474]The rust hole you are looking at is right above the passenger floorboard and the DME computer and wiring harness

It needs to be repaired otherwise water will get inside and damage the computer and wiring harness.

It was caused by battery acid.

Nothing is more important to these cars than the electrical system.

I used POR-15 and fiberglass mat to repair mine. Make sure you do it in a well ventilated outside area.[/QUOTE

Pictures please, as I was thinking of going this route but I a co-worker at my job that can weld...so, the materials, time & labor is free on this project so that's the way I'm going, but if it wasn't for that I would definitely try fiber-glassing it myself as well.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I will take a picture tonight. Mine is fairly original but still a bit of rust from a leaky battery.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
The advantage, POR-15 is a rustproofing compound, so it wont rust again.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Here is an image of the battery box

Drain hole is below where cables exit
Old 08-30-2018, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
In the Fires of Hell.....

Garage
Lewis, yours is an early car, or 924S.

His is a late car, and the drains are different.
1987 944S - Restored salvage title, ready to live again
Old 08-30-2018, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis774 View Post
Here is an image of the battery box

Drain hole is below where cables exit

Wow! Seems like your box is just as bad as mines....well yours is less rusty.....im working the rust in the box right now....I will order some POR 15 until then I brought some cheapo rust and paint remover from the local walmart....do they sell the 15 at lowes or home depot???
Old 09-03-2018, 12:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Some of the auto parts stores sell por-15. just follow the directions.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I recently fiberglassed mine as well. It was barely rusted at all, but there was a hole big enough to allow rain water in. I left my car parked outside for awhile during rainy season and it was an interesting science project, combining rain water, old carpet and the greenhouse effect. I think if I hadnt checked it I’d probably have mushrooms by now.

The fiberglass was a big success. I also made some steel plates with studs that I fiberglassed in, so as I could bolt in an aftermarket plastic battery holder.

My driveway is pitched, so I started parking the car so that the nose is lower, which prevents water from collecting there in the first place. Even with good working drains, that section behind the firewall certainly turns into a tidepool during a heavy rainstorm because nearly every drop of water that lands on the top of the car wants to flow there. Something also adviseable
https://instagram.com/bradical924/
Old 09-03-2018, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradical View Post
I recently fiberglassed mine as well. It was barely rusted at all, but there was a hole big enough to allow rain water in. I left my car parked outside for awhile during rainy season and it was an interesting science project, combining rain water, old carpet and the greenhouse effect. I think if I hadnt checked it Id probably have mushrooms by now.

The fiberglass was a big success. I also made some steel plates with studs that I fiberglassed in, so as I could bolt in an aftermarket plastic battery holder.

My driveway is pitched, so I started parking the car so that the nose is lower, which prevents water from collecting there in the first place. Even with good working drains, that section behind the firewall certainly turns into a tidepool during a heavy rainstorm because nearly every drop of water that lands on the top of the car wants to flow there. Something also adviseable
Can I see pictures of yours? Were you able to keep the contours of the box with the fiberglass?
Old 09-04-2018, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: