Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to 944S Boyeee
Mystery of the self-fixing 944 or am I up a creek sans paddle??

I posted a topic a bit back about my car hesitating/stumbling while on the highway in high gear (just did it one time). That problem was weird cause it only did it when the car was in gear. If I put it in neutral and revved - no problem, so I figured it wasn't a fuel-related thing.

Anywho - it hasn't happened since and the car hasn't run better (used to have hestitation when getting back on gas after coasting, but that is now gone).

So, that problem seemed to "fix itself".

Now last night I was driving home and heard what sounded like someone about a block away hitting a hammer on tin. As I drove more, the sound got louder and I realized it was my car (duh!!). It sounds like something "caught-up" in the back drivetrain. It doesn't make the noice if the car is just rolling, so it's not a brake/wheel thing. It does make the noise when I'm on the gas (but only when moving) and it gets louder with more gas.

I did a search and CV joints kept coming up - but this sound isn't present until I hit the gas. Will bad CV joints still clunk/knock/ting only if the car is under load? Shouldn't they make the noise all the time?

Now the weird part. While driving last night I turned into McDoanlds to get some food. The sound was so bad at this point, I was going to leave it there and pick it up tommorrow. It sounded like if I really got on the gas, that something was going to snap or fly off. Pulled into the drivethru - sound was there (and really bad). Pulled out of drivethru and it was GONE! No sound whatsoever.

Is this CV joints or a pinion thing in the transmission, OR has my amazing self-fixing 944S done it's thing and I won't hear the sound again (I wish)??? Could what happened on the highway be in any way related to this sound???

Note - I have a small tranny fluid leak around the re-fill plug. It doesn't drip much, but when re-filled last, it was down 1/4 of the way (re-filled 7000 klms ago). What happens when the tranny fluid is low?

944S Boyeee

Old 03-04-2003, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Come on......10 people viewed this and nobody can venture to guess what the problem is or have experienced this problem???

I'm scared to drive my car!!!!

944S Boyeee
Old 03-04-2003, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Sounds like a combo tranny low/CV joint problem

Grab the axle itself (between the CV joints) and see if there is a lot of play sliding it back and forth (trying to move the shaft to one joint and then the other)

Determine cause of leak around drain/fill plugs - loose or on need of replacement. Sometimes a teflon tape can snug the plug in a bit - do not overtorque.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 03-04-2003, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

AFJuvat,

First off, thanks......

Second off - why would that sound be so aggressive, then go away? That is what scares me the most! Is something going to "snap" and leave me on the side of the road?

944S Boyeee
Old 03-04-2003, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
It sounds very much like my problem. Probably CV joints.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 03-04-2003, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Since it doesn't sound like any noise I have ever heard of I would guess its the torque tube.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
Quote:
Will bad CV joints still clunk/knock/ting only if the car is under load? Shouldn't they make the noise all the time?
Yes to the first part, and no to the second..

crawl under your car on the side that you thnk the noise is coming from.. if you can't pin point it.. just use the force dude... then get back under the car, grab the axle (one at a time) and tug it in and out of the wheel and dif... it will probablly clank for the first 7 yanks then it will lightly thud.. stop when it thuds........ What you are doing, is pulling (pumping) the grease back into the C.V and onto the race and bearing... that'll keep it lubed until you pull it apart to either replace it or repack it.

A good repacking may be all that is needed.. the grease breaks down and then (spins out) just like the bottom bracket of a Bicycle..... so an (overhaul) or repacking will work well if you do not have the $$$chi-ching$$$ to buy a new assembly.... good luck and may the Schwartz be with you......

Frank B
Old 03-04-2003, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

What is the price range for re-packing vs putting new CV's on??? I heard it's only a quick job for the CV's.

944S Boyeee
Old 03-05-2003, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

You can get rebuilt drive axles (complete assy) fairly cheaply ($80 each)

New ones are about double that.

takes about an hour to put new ones in.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 03-05-2003, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
noise hammering, tin........

you were driving your porsche at mcdonalds?????hahahaha

one time, on my 84 bronco, i was sure i had a gearbox full of bolts and washers......turns out it was the tin cover on the catachalismic converter!

tin foil crumpled into a wad and jammed between cat and cover fixed it........but you will have to go to a finer eating establishment to get tin foil!!
Old 03-05-2003, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Hey - I can't help it!!! I just moved and have no stove yet....I'm installing one of those "counter-top" stove deals soon.....

....and the McDonalds here has just about the cutest drive-thru girls I've seen AND on Tuesday and Thursday they have McChicken's and 1/4 Pounders on for $1.65. LOVE the $1.65 days (each day has a different sandwich, but only Tuesday and Thursday I like - although Sunday is McFishwich day and I have been eating those also).

Anyone here ever do the 1/4 Pounder With Cheese PLAIN thing? I always get my 1/4 Pounders with just cheese/meat and bun - nothing else. Man o' man - them boys em' tasty!!

I'm going to die young!

944S Boyeee

Last edited by 944S Boyeee; 03-05-2003 at 08:37 AM..
Old 03-05-2003, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
What would Darth Vader do

Send a message via Yahoo to Gordon Rankin
If you have the tail end of your car in the air, check your rear wheel bearings by pushing the top/bottom of the wheel, in and out. The play should be minimal to none. I had a strange noise similar to your description and it turned out to be bad wheel bearings.
NEVER put a used water pump in your car...
Old 03-05-2003, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Thanks Gordon....

...but my sound was only present under load. Wouldn't a wheel bearing make noise all the time?

944S Boyeee
Old 03-05-2003, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I'd go the cheap route 1st- Repack the cv's; if it works- GREAT. If not, then you're only out your time and $3 for the grease.

Speaking of grease; keep eating those chicken sandwiches and 1/4 pounders- I'm sure the ladies will love your new physique
Old 03-05-2003, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
well, if its grease you need, mcdonalds has plenty!! and i wouldnt mind "sandwiching " those little honeys at the window, (my next ex?) remember, the more mcdonalds, the more wear on car components, slower et's, slower acceleration, increased fuel consumption, higher center of gravity,and less room for hotties. the things you eat today will be walking and talking tomorrow!!
Old 03-05-2003, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Definately a CV joint candidate.

Its not a big job and Pelican has a tech article on doing it yourself.
Old 03-05-2003, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Quote:
Originally posted by 944S Boyeee

Anyone here ever do the 1/4 Pounder With Cheese PLAIN thing? I always get my 1/4 Pounders with just cheese/meat and bun - nothing else. Man o' man - them boys em' tasty!!

I'm going to die young!

944S Boyeee
My freind, Opie (not his real name), Does the "Meat and bread only. Nothing else. If there is so much as a dollap of ketchup on it, I'm throwing it back through the window. Do-you-un-der-stand?". It was neat to watch, it was like a little switch was thrown and the mantra came out, back to C drive.

I've seen more than one drive through attendant duck a soiled dblqtrlb'er comming in hot and heavy. He got the Mach II burger idea from me. I lived a block away from a Sonic, and I was an at least a 1 a day customer. Ordered the same thing. Every day w/o change, no exceptions, no deviation from the identical thing: "Ft. long cheese coney, Xtra cheese, onions. Chili cheese fries w/onions. Rt. 44 Coke. That'll be all".

One day they started screwing up my order. I never checked before I left, so I would always get home and my thing would be not what I wanted. 3 days in a row. When I got home the 3rd day, I tossed it all in a bag and wrote a 2 page (front and back) note that wasn't so nice, and drove back through lobbing it nicely into the drive through window. Opie witnessed the whole sortid affair.

'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
What would Darth Vader do

Send a message via Yahoo to Gordon Rankin
I thought the same thing until it happened to me. I had an imtermittent "noise" and then it kept going

"..but my sound was only present under load. Wouldn't a wheel bearing make noise all the time?"

Just get the rear wheels in the air and try to move them, in and out. You can tell easily.

NEVER put a used water pump in your car...
Old 03-05-2003, 11:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: