Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
CV inspection/repair questions

Hey all.
The time has come. I am going home to Bristol for 2 weeks this weekend, and I have put off my CV problem for too long already. So, next week I will finally get under the car and inspect the CVs (just to make sure it is the CVs that are making all that noise), repack them with grease, put them back, and order new ones. So, here are my questions:

1) DOes anyone have a picture of what a worn CV joint will look like, for comparison purposes?

2) Does anyone know where I can find a detailed walkthrough? I searched the forum, but didn't get anything concrete. I also have the Haynes manual, but I feel the black and white photos fall short sometime.

3) Anything in particular I should keep in mind while doing this? Any definite dos or don'ts?

Any and all help will be appreciated
-CJ

Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 03-04-2003, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to 944S Boyeee
Just curious.....what symptoms did/do you have that the CV's are gone?

....and how long can/did you run the car like that?

944S Boyeee

(Sorry I can't help - I think I'm having the same problem)
Old 03-04-2003, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to chapstic2001
I just replaced mine over the weekend. I didn't have to repack anything. Mine were shot so I just replaced the entire axle.

1. I will see if I can get you some shots of where it is worn. It is so dirty, it is really hard to tell. I can tell you it sounded great when I was done (no more knock-knock-knock.......)

2. http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/susp-01.htm

3. I. Make sure you clean out the 12-pt 8MM bolts before attempting loosening them. If you strip one of them you just increased your work time 3 fold.
II. Have a buddy there to hold the tire while you are loosening the bolts (and tightening them too)

That's about all. For just replacing the axle, it is pretty cut and dry. Good luck.
Old 03-04-2003, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Bay Area Patriot

worn CV joints have housings that are grooved more from the bearing. It's more noticeable when you jiggle the ring holding the ball bearings in it. If there is excessive play then the joint is worn. This contributes to the knocking noise.

1987 928 S4 - 3" Single Exhaust after cats
1999 Mercedes C280 Sport Package
2003 Mercedes ML350
Old 03-04-2003, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
944Sboyee - I posted on Pelican numerous times about my symptoms... i thought it would be either the clutch or the CVs, and I am now 99% sure it is the CVs. That is why I am going to check them and repack them with grease first, before I order new ones. My car is at home in Bristol while I am at school in Boston. It is driven for about 4 days per month. The CVs have been making the noise for 5 months or so. I have been told they can last a long time like this, but it's better not to tempt fate.

My symptoms were a kind of rhythmic knocking that occurred in any gear, and that increased as the wheel speed increased (but not necessarily the revs... i think). The sound seemed to go away somewhat when the clutch was in or the car was out of gear, which is why i thought it was the clutch for awhile. But, I guess the theory goes, the sound is made while in gear because that is when the driveshaft is feeding imput to the wheels (ie the wheels aren't just rotating, they are being driven)

Chapstic2001 - thanks for the info and walkthrough. I'm sure it will come in handy! How do you know that it is shot enough to replace the whole driveaxle?

And does anyone have any photos to go along with the walkthrough (or a walkthrough WITH photos?)

Thanks again
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").

Last edited by CJFusco; 03-04-2003 at 02:40 PM..
Old 03-04-2003, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

A new CV joint was $90, +$5 for the boot and clip, +$10 grease. I figured if one of the CV joints on the axle was shot, the other was to soon follow. $105 x 2 = 210. A rebuilt axle with repacked CV joints, boots and warranty was $190. This way I saved $20 and didn't have to worry about screwing anything up (more than usual of course.).
Old 03-04-2003, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Writer/Teacher

Garage
That's a pretty good point... I will have to see how far gone mine are.

Another question: How long will it take for someone who has never done this and doesn't really know their way around cars very well yet? I have this site, a Haynes manual, a friend that has worked on GMs and a friend that has worked on GMs, Fords, and Hondas all helping me.
Old 03-04-2003, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
Re: CV inspection/repair questions

Quote:
Originally posted by CJFusco
Hey all.
The time has come. I am going home to Bristol for 2 weeks this weekend, and I have put off my CV problem for too long already. So, next week I will finally get under the car and inspect the CVs (just to make sure it is the CVs that are making all that noise), repack them with grease, put them back, and order new ones. So, here are my questions:

1) DOes anyone have a picture of what a worn CV joint will look like, for comparison purposes?

2) Does anyone know where I can find a detailed walkthrough? I searched the forum, but didn't get anything concrete. I also have the Haynes manual, but I feel the black and white photos fall short sometime.

3) Anything in particular I should keep in mind while doing this? Any definite dos or don'ts?

TODWIC!!!!!!!!!

Any and all help will be appreciated
-CJ
Old 03-04-2003, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
ok... what was the point of that post?
Old 03-04-2003, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

That's what ya call a "hydgy-post", where the hydroponic cannabis was so strong that Frank actually forgot what he started the post for.

Done it many times myself...........

944S Boyeee
Old 03-05-2003, 07:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Oh, and about the CV joints.....

.....joints........CV.........CJ...........CJFusco

...where was I going with this......???

Three and pass Frank, three and pass!!!!!
(Frank is hording the cheebis!!)

944S Boyeee (King of the "Hydgy" posts)
Old 03-05-2003, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Silent Bob....I mean CJ, I was fortunate enough to have acess to a lift to where I could stand under the car and have easy acess to the axle. It was my first time changing a CV joint too. They say give yourself 2-3 hours. It honesly took me about an hour and a half, and I was looking around while I was underneath.

I was seeing where all my mods, I mean money, was going. New wastegate, springs, anti-sway bars and shocks. Damn it was fun to be under there.

***another recommendation I need to make. Make sure the lift, this is for furture reference as well, is low enough to fit under the car. I had to take a jack to raise the rear of the car enough to get the lift under it. That was 20-minutes to get that far. (That time was not factored into my 1.5 hour)***
Old 03-05-2003, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
Quote:
Originally posted by CJFusco
ok... what was the point of that post?
I screwed it up... I suck at this!!!.. dammitt!!!
Old 03-05-2003, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
OK, a couple more questions: (i post em as i think of em)

1) I know that a temporary "solution" (until I order the new parts) is to switch the CV joints from one side to the other. Now, when people say this, do they mean to switch the CV joint from one side of the axle to the other side, and put that CV joint where you got the first.... or to switch CVs between the two different axles?

2) When I jack the car, should I use the two jacking points that are under the door (the punched diamonds), or somewhere closer to the back of the car. Where is the best place to jack during a CV procedure (please, no jokes about the wording of that last sentence )?
Old 03-05-2003, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Just did this last weekend. For a temporary fix (may only last 50k miles or so ), rotate the axles in place. Remove the left rear axle, then when installing it, put the outside cv to the transmission and the inside to the outside. What this does is to change the wear point. It worked really well for one of my axles, but I think the other is too far gone. It helped a bunch, but not totally.

Make sure you clean the old grease out really well and use CV joint grease. Plan on getting insanely greasy in this process. It really is almost a must to have access to a solvent tank.

"Don't retreat, reload." Sarah Palin
Old 03-05-2003, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
kewl thanks a bunch sasquach
Old 03-05-2003, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to hoff944
My friend's 944 was making that same noise. We thought it was a CV joint too, but actually it was the drive shaft that was going out.
Old 03-05-2003, 11:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Quote:
Originally posted by 944S Boyeee
Oh, and about the CV joints.....

.....joints........CV.........CJ...........CJFusco

...where was I going with this......???

Three and pass Frank, three and pass!!!!!
(Frank is hording the cheebis!!)

944S Boyeee (King of the "Hydgy" posts)
I think you both need to "puff puff give". Don't make me break out the smaking glove&reg.
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 03-05-2003, 11:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
hoff944 - how will I be able to tell that it's the CV and NOT the driveshaft?
Old 03-06-2003, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
by drive shaft you mean torque tube or axle between joints?

'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: