Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
curtisr

Garage
Clunking sound from the rear end area

The other day I noticed a clunking sound coming from the rear of the car. After determining the whereabouts of the kids and dog, I continued out of the driveway. It was then I noticed that the brake warning light on the consul was on. At first I thought it might be a dislodged e-brake shoe but taking the rotors off ruled that out. The e-brake also appears to be working properly.

The sound comes and goes with speed, coasting, and in neutral.

Here's a video of my turning the half-axle. The car is in neutral (manual transmission). It's only 15 seconds long and not knowing how to insert it, I've used a shareable link from my Google Drive.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. (And, yes, I know it sounds like 'Chain Gang'...)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1t17YZnCXlmoRHxoeKpcmU33XB7iUedbb
1987 924s Garnet Red
1982 928 Silver (sold)
Old 09-05-2018, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
Pull the rubber inspection plug and see if the drive shaft coupling is loose or broken. Verify that all of the bolts on the CV couplings (both sides) are intact. Pull the parking brake slightly on just to create some drag and see if that affects the sound. Hold the CV coupling in your hands and turn the shaft to see if you can "feel" the clunk to locate the area of the noise. Good luck with this.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
curtisr

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytrplseven View Post
Pull the rubber inspection plug and see if the drive shaft coupling is loose or broken. Verify that all of the bolts on the CV couplings (both sides) are intact. Pull the parking brake slightly on just to create some drag and see if that affects the sound. Hold the CV coupling in your hands and turn the shaft to see if you can "feel" the clunk to locate the area of the noise. Good luck with this.
Finally got to this! Here's my report:
  • Viewing ports opened. (It's strangely clean and like new in there...)
  • CV joint bolts all good.
  • E-brake pads all good.
  • Shaft coupling appear to be clamping tight.

It's really difficult to isolate the sound! Wondering if it isn't a torque tube bearing issue. I'm going to try to have a look with a camera.

Thanks mytrpseven!
1987 924s Garnet Red
1982 928 Silver (sold)
Old 09-07-2018, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
curtisr

Garage
I couldn't really see anything with the camera. I can rotate the driveshaft perhaps an 1/8th of a turn freely and then it stops. Not sure what to do next.
1987 924s Garnet Red
1982 928 Silver (sold)
Old 09-10-2018, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
In listening to the sound on your video, at the end you can hear a metallic ringing sound, like something hitting a piece of tempered sheet metal. A similar sound is sometimes made when you hit the sheet metal splash guards/backing plates protecting the brake rotors. Can you rotate each wheel and check for interference or contact by anything with these brake shields?

Last edited by Spring44; 09-10-2018 at 12:24 PM..
Old 09-10-2018, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: