Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Timing Belt Tensioning Trouble

In the middle of tensioning the timing belt on my 1986 Turbo after a few months from the original change, and I'm having quite a bit more trouble with it this time around. I've finally got it back on after a bit of trouble (removed it entirely to change the front camshaft seal) but I can't get a read on the tension. Basically as I was tensioning it, the tensioner would only tension the length of belt between itself and the crankshaft, every other portion of the belt, from the water pump to the camshaft or from the camshaft to the crankshaft would be noticeably less tight. I pulled the flywheel lock off and gave the crankshaft a few rotations hoping it would even out the tension, but even now, I tensioned it to just under 40 ft/lbs according to my Krikit Tool, it seemed appropriately taught. I've cranked clockwise to the point where the mark on the camshaft gear has rotated 90 degrees, and now the length of belt that I measured between the crankshaft and the camshaft is completely slacked. I didn't have this problem before at all, has the belt been stretched out too much? I'm at a loss for what to do here, I imagine slack buildup will be less of a problem under constant rotation, but I don't want to risk damaging my valves if I'm wrong. Any advice for this? I can post pictures or videos to explain this if it can help anyone offer suggestions.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
As a sanity check on the cricket tension, there is the thumb on water pump pulley check and the 180 degree belt twist check. Check Clarkes for the details. I think both of these methods are based on the back side of the belt being taught and with the cam at TDC.

Also crank it through by hand at least two revolutions to make sure the valve timing is correct, and there is no interference from the valves.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero06 View Post
In the middle of tensioning the timing belt on my 1986 Turbo after a few months from the original change, and I'm having quite a bit more trouble with it this time around. I've finally got it back on after a bit of trouble (removed it entirely to change the front camshaft seal) but I can't get a read on the tension. Basically as I was tensioning it, the tensioner would only tension the length of belt between itself and the crankshaft, every other portion of the belt, from the water pump to the camshaft or from the camshaft to the crankshaft would be noticeably less tight. I pulled the flywheel lock off and gave the crankshaft a few rotations hoping it would even out the tension, but even now, I tensioned it to just under 40 ft/lbs according to my Krikit Tool, it seemed appropriately taught. I've cranked clockwise to the point where the mark on the camshaft gear has rotated 90 degrees, and now the length of belt that I measured between the crankshaft and the camshaft is completely slacked. I didn't have this problem before at all, has the belt been stretched out too much? I'm at a loss for what to do here, I imagine slack buildup will be less of a problem under constant rotation, but I don't want to risk damaging my valves if I'm wrong. Any advice for this? I can post pictures or videos to explain this if it can help anyone offer suggestions.
REFRESH the procedure;https://youtu.be/jpR6dWWiILk
Old 09-08-2018, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
slack , tension , timing , timing belt