Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Recreational User

Garage
Vibration Issue: 1988 924S

Hey all,

I recently had some major work done on my car, including engine swap (used '88 2.5 liter), new clutch, and cheapy motor mounts. The car is all back together now, but I'm feeling some vibration. The funny thing is, the vibration is cyclical and not constant. If I have the car in neutral and hold the engine speed at a constant RPM, I can feel the vibration slowly go from smooth to rough and back again, over and over again. The mechanic I took it to who isn't super familiar with these cars thinks it's most likely the cheapy motor mounts. I'm not a mechanic, but in my mind - if the issue was simply cheap motor mounts - it seems like the vibration would be more constant/linear with the rise and fall of engine speed. My initial thought was the an out-of-balance flywheel. Maybe it wasn't resurfaced correctly? Of maybe an issue with the balancer shaft?

Does this issue sound familiar to anyone?
Old 09-08-2018, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Too Many Porsches

You can feel motor mounts mostly at idle, sounds like your balance shafts are out and the most common mistake with those is the lower shaft being set 180 degrees out. It’s an easy mistake to make for someone unfamiliar with these cars. Does it get any better in the higher rev range?
Old 09-08-2018, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

+1 on the balance shafts. I had one that was a tooth off. It made this harmonic vibration in the interior that drove me crazy.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Recreational User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9FF View Post
You can feel motor mounts mostly at idle, sounds like your balance shafts are out and the most common mistake with those is the lower shaft being set 180 degrees out. Itís an easy mistake to make for someone unfamiliar with these cars. Does it get any better in the higher rev range?
No, it doesn't get any better with higher revs. The rate at which it moves from smooth to rough and back again is quicker though, as you might expect.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Recreational User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga 951 View Post
+1 on the balance shafts. I had one that was a tooth off. It made this harmonic vibration in the interior that drove me crazy.
Yeah, this makes more sense to me than an issue with the motor mounts.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Recreational User

Garage
Ok, so I have more information. I was finally able to put a good amount of miles on the car and get a better feel for what's going on. The vibration is most intense in 1st and 2nd gear, and at higher RPMs. While still noticeable, it's not as bad in higher gears, even at higher RPMs. I also noticed that after the car gets warmed up and has been driven a few miles, the vibration overall diminishes somewhat. It's definitely still noticeable, but it's not as intense. Does this still sound like a balancer shaft issue?
Old 09-18-2018, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Cheap motor mounts are only rough at lower idle (I have the cheap ones on my '88 924S as well, and even with my idle bumped up to about 1050rpms, they're smooth....but rough below that). But above idle the motor mounts wouldn't cause vibration to any notable extent.

I'd still lean toward balance shaft being off a tooth or more. Does it do it all the time, whether the car is moving or not?
Old 09-18-2018, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

This sounds like a balance shaft issue and you should check the balance shaft phasing. If you cannot do this yourself you are going to go broke owning the car so it'd be good to start learning that sort of thing. It's a bad idea to run with the vibration as it can cause cracks in the oil pickup tube and that leads to oil starvation. The belt tension needs to be checked and re-set also after the belts run-in.

Re: engine mounts, How cheap is cheap? I put in the Meyle mounts and they are working great, very smooth idle. It appears that the URO mounts are Meyle with the name ground off, but that might just be the mold and not the rubber compound and filling. My concern about the Meyle mounts is that they may not last 20 years but function-wise they are fine.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Recreational User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish44j View Post
Cheap motor mounts are only rough at lower idle (I have the cheap ones on my '88 924S as well, and even with my idle bumped up to about 1050rpms, they're smooth....but rough below that). But above idle the motor mounts wouldn't cause vibration to any notable extent.

I'd still lean toward balance shaft being off a tooth or more. Does it do it all the time, whether the car is moving or not?
It does it all the time, but it's hardly noticeable when the car is at idle. It increases with RPMs... even if the car is standing still.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Recreational User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfrahm View Post
This sounds like a balance shaft issue and you should check the balance shaft phasing. If you cannot do this yourself you are going to go broke owning the car so it'd be good to start learning that sort of thing. It's a bad idea to run with the vibration as it can cause cracks in the oil pickup tube and that leads to oil starvation. The belt tension needs to be checked and re-set also after the belts run-in.

Re: engine mounts, How cheap is cheap? I put in the Meyle mounts and they are working great, very smooth idle. It appears that the URO mounts are Meyle with the name ground off, but that might just be the mold and not the rubber compound and filling. My concern about the Meyle mounts is that they may not last 20 years but function-wise they are fine.
Yeah, I went with the $45 mounts instead of the $250 OEMs. I expected a little more vibration maybe, but not what I'm experiencing. Thanks for the info. The mechanic seems to be in denial about the possibility of it being the balancer shaft - and he may be right. But as I said, he's not super familiar with these cars, so I'm taking that into consideration.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I expect the reason your vibration diminishes after warmup is that the Balance Belt streches a bit after it warms up.

My car has a BB whine when it is cold. After 10 minutes it disappears. I have tried so many times, but never seen to get the exact tension to stop it, either the whine, or too loose (up to the point of slapping the cover!). I have just learned to accept it...no big deal.

As you can tell, I still think you have a BB issue.
Of course, this advise is worth exactly what you paid for it

Last edited by Ga 951; Today at 03:11 AM..
Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: