Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Driver

Garage
What shocks do I have? WITH PICTURES!

Hi All,

I was told by an alignment shop I needed to replace my shocks because my right front shock was "moving from the top".

Took the wheel off and took some pictures. Are these stock shocks for an '87 944 NA? I know the PO was a bit of a "wrencher" but I don't know what has been modified or not.

I took the part number from the label and it seems to correspond to the stock shocks, but I am thrown by the "ADJUSTABLE" stamped into the body and the yellow color.

BTW I put my hand as high up as I could go and could not get any movement of the shock tugging quite hard.

I did get some rotational movement on the spring that seems normal.

Appreciate the help as always.

GHEN

Old 09-15-2018, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Bilstein ?
Old 09-15-2018, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Those look like Koni adjustable struts. Look at your options decal and check if you have option code M474 listed, if you do they originally came with the car.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9FF View Post
Those look like Koni adjustable struts. Look at your options decal and check if you have option code M474 listed, if you do they originally came with the car.
I DO have 474 listed under my option codes (see attached picture).

What does this mean from a replacement perspective? Are these easier to find than the non-Sport Shocks?

If I grabbed these near the top and tugged and felt no movement, am I probably OK? I have no idea what the mechanic could be talking about.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHEN View Post
I DO have 474 listed under my option codes (see attached picture).

What does this mean from a replacement perspective? Are these easier to find than the non-Sport Shocks?

If I grabbed these near the top and tugged and felt no movement, am I probably OK? I have no idea what the mechanic could be talking about.
The M474 struts you have were a desirable upgrade, you have three choices:

1. Remove and send your struts to Koni (or their agents) for a rebuild,

2. Strip, cut and drill them to accept the Koni inserts, or

3. Fit the stock Boge/Sachs struts instead.

If your mech said he couldn’t align the car due the the top of the strut being loose, I’d believe him. These cars have nothing special on the front suspension that many other cars have, so he is likely very familiar with the McPherson struts fitted. Plus it seems like your struts may be original and therefore very old, unless you have proof that they were previously repaired or replaced.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I'd send them to Koni for a rebuild on the originals. Ask them to retain the original housing if possible. That's what I'd do as it's more valuable with the originals.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2018, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Thanks, Mike, I really appreciate the help.

Quote:
Remove and send your struts to Koni (or their agents) for a rebuild.
I'll probably do this. I'll get to Googling but if you have a link to the relevant Koni site that would be very helpful.

Quote:
If your mech said he couldn’t align the car due to the top of the strut being loose, I’d believe him.
My only concern here is since I cannot replicate it, I don't know if there is another problem somewhere besides the strut assembly. I guess in the grand scheme of things I'll have the struts rebuilt anyway but if there is something else to be done I would like to do it while the struts are out. I don't want to take it apart, then put everything back together only to have not solved the problem.

Is there any way I can figure out where this "looseness" is? I cannot replicate it by hand.

One other question, while the front suspension is out of the car, should I have some props where the suspension should go?

GHEN
Old 09-15-2018, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
That's the plan :-) Thanks for the input, I'll ask Koni to retain the originals if possible.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I’ve used True Choice to rebuild Konis in the past, they are official Koni agents and know their stuff.

As for the “looseness”, why don’t you ask your mech what exactly he felt was loose. Imo it could either be the strut shaft or the top mount, nothing much else on a strut that could loosen with wear. Also sometimes you need to use leverage with a tool to see loose parts, using your hand just don’t work in most cases.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Misunderstood User

Garage
It may not be the shock. I was told by an alignment shop I needed to replace my shocks because my right front shock was "moving from the top". I would look at the top mounts - that could be a problem and possibly an expensive one.

1983 944n/a
2003 Mercedes CLK 500 - totaled. Sanwiched on the Kennedy Expressway
Old 09-16-2018, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Very helpful

Struts are tricky to understand on the late 944’s..
Old 09-16-2018, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcommin View Post
It may not be the shock. I was told by an alignment shop I needed to replace my shocks because my right front shock was "moving from the top". I would look at the top mounts - that could be a problem and possibly an expensive one.
Yes, this is my fear. I am going to (try to) remove the front shock assemblies today and bring them to TruChoice for rebuilding. Unless I am mistaken, the top mount comes out with the entire assembly so I will look at that as well.

GHEN
Old 09-16-2018, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHEN View Post
My only concern here is since I cannot replicate it, I don't know if there is another problem somewhere besides the strut assembly. I guess in the grand scheme of things I'll have the struts rebuilt anyway but if there is something else to be done I would like to do it while the struts are out. I don't want to take it apart, then put everything back together only to have not solved the problem.
I'd really check the lower ball joints for looseness while you have the strut off. Last time I replaced struts the upper strut bearing plates were ok and I just repacked them with grease. But the lower ball joints were shot and had to be replaced.

On the early cars like mine it is an easy job to replace ball joints and the parts are really cheap. I think that I got my ball joints for about ten bucks apiece. Can't advise you on the alloy strut ball joints if you have them, but they need to be checked too.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring44 View Post
I'd really check the lower ball joints for looseness while you have the strut off.
Good advice, thanks!

GHEN
Old 09-16-2018, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: