Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Driver

Garage
Do I need to remove the races?

Hello all,

I am putting new inner and outer wheel bearings in my front wheels.

I have both bearings out, the races are still in the hub.

Is there any reason they have to come out, or can I just put the new bearings in after packing them with grease? I mean, I will just have to turn around and put the races right back in right?

I feel as if I am missing something lol. The bearings are the roller bearings, and the races are the solid, round pieces of steel. I have the outer bearing (fell out when I took the wheel off). I have removed the dust seals and the inner bearing was underneath that, I THINK I have all of the bearings I should have.

GHEN
Old 09-23-2018, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
944 S2

Didn’t the new bearings come with new races?
I would replace both. The races should be press fit.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Go to one of the auto parts stores that loan tools and get the installation tool. They come out pretty easy with a punch and install easy with the tool no reason not to change them. As stated they should be included with the new bearings
Old 09-23-2018, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Never heard of anyone just using half a new bearing, why would you do that other than laziness. The races are part of the bearing and they generally wear together. If you fit new ball bearings into worn races, it’s likely the new bearings won’t last too long.

Get a brass punch and work the race out carefully so as not to make contact with the alloy hub with the punch. There are cut-outs on the hub to provide access for a punch, takes a couple of minutes for each race.

Last edited by 9FF; 09-23-2018 at 12:42 PM..
Old 09-23-2018, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
To tell the entire story, I don't have the new bearings yet, I figured I would see what came out of the hubs and buy what I needed. I didn't know new races came with the bearings...glad I asked the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9FF View Post
Never heard of anyone just using half a new bearing, why would you do that other than laziness.
Ignorance, as stated above. I didn't realize they came together.

Quote:
The races are part of the bearing and they generally wear together. If you fit new ball bearings into worn races, it’s likely the new bearings won’t last too long.
This is the answer I was looking for, thank you.

Quote:
Get a brass punch and work the race out carefully so as not to make contact with the alloy hub with the punch.
LOL, if only it was that simple. Like everything else on this particular car, the races are fighting me. I have massively deformed my brass punch.

Quote:
There are cut-outs on the hub to provide access for a punch, takes a couple of minutes for each race.
.....In a perfect world.

Thanks for all of the kind replies, massively helpful!

GHEN
Old 09-23-2018, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

it is best to heat up the hub in an oven to 225-250 degrees F to remove and install the outer races. you should still use a press to be sure the races are bottomed in the hub and it helps to chill the races in the freezer. with the temp differential, they pretty much drop in.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHEN View Post
...LOL, if only it was that simple. Like everything else on this particular car, the races are fighting me. I have massively deformed my brass...
Brass usually works if the hubs have been heated first as thomasryan suggests, you can use a steel punch, just be careful to not score the hubs. Line up the punch in the cutout and tap it with a heavy mallet, firmly securing the hub in a vice really helps. Work both sides evenly through the respective cutout and the race should shimmy out.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Brass usually works if the hubs have been heated first as thomasryan suggests, you can use a steel punch, just be careful to not score the hubs. Line up the punch in the cutout and tap it with a heavy mallet, firmly securing the hub in a vice really helps. Work both sides evenly through the respective cutout and the race should shimmy out.
I heated the hubs with a MAP torch for a bit and am using a vice, I finally got the races out of one hub but the other is still fighting me.

I re-faced and re-formed my brass punch and went back at it, but didn't heat again.

I wonder if I throw it in the oven will my kitchen smell like old grease? Mrs. GHEN wouldn't like that.

GHEN
Old 09-23-2018, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Tired Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasryan View Post
it is best to heat up the hub in an oven to 225-250 degrees F to remove and install the outer races. you should still use a press to be sure the races are bottomed in the hub and it helps to chill the races in the freezer. with the temp differential, they pretty much drop in.
This ^
Support vehicle - '00 Suburban 2500 4x4
Son's - '85.1 944
Old 09-23-2018, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

"I wonder if I throw it in the oven will my kitchen smell like old grease? Mrs. GHEN wouldn't like that."

Wouldn't have the 'nads to try that one...try MAP again It will come out eventually!
Old 09-23-2018, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: