Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Been a long, long time

Well over a decade since Iíve been on the board. But Iíve still been in the Porsche world. I was caught up in my 914, which is close to being done as a restoration project.

Sooo...what did I do? Pick up another project of course. I just added an Ď86 944 Turbo. When I checked it out I realized it was pretty rough. It seemed to run okay (I used to own an Ď87 944 S back in the mid 90ís so Iím at least familiar to what 944ís sound like). But the clutch pedal went to the floor when depressing it. Guy thought it ďhad to be the clutch...or the clutch cableĒ. I didnít have the heart to tell him that 944ís donít have clutch cables.

Anyhow, I get the car towed home and it wonít start. I put a new battery in it but still no go. The car turns over but wonít start. So down to basics...air, fuel, spark.

I didnít hear the fuel pump running, so I checked the DME relay. It checked out fine but still no fuel pump. I built and installed a jumper and can hear the pump running now. Still no start. So now Iím thinking spark. I checked the coil, plug was disconnected! Plugged it back in but no start. Checked plug wires in correct order. All good there. Distributor cap was installed incorrectly. Fixed that but still no start. Looked at the sensors on the flywheel, they look okay, which doesnít mean much. It looks like the connectors fell apart and someone did a repair and ran it straight to the DME.

I pulled the DME and looked inside. I didnít see anything obvious but it didnít look great in there. My plan is to check the wire repairs to the sensors. Is there anything else Iím missing before I blame this all on the DME box?

Car is below...after itís running Iíll get the clutch sorted. Then a water pump and timing belt. Then brakes and then those wheels. Man those wheels are ugly...

Old 09-24-2018, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

And a few pics of the 914

Old 09-24-2018, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Garage
Ah my eyes!!!! Heh - I have nothing productive to say about the DME other than to do the diag tests on it, but I had to make a smart aleck comment on the wheels.

The 914 is gorgeous. Every year that "nothing like it at all" shape looks cooler and cooler.

Doug
Old 09-24-2018, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Ha, yup the wheels gotta go. They’re MSW wheels and are missing the center caps...not that center caps would help visually.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Use the procedure on Clarks to diag the no-start. Regarding the sensors, are you getting tach bounce?
Old 09-25-2018, 03:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Iíll take a look at Clarkís page.

I just went out and checked, no tach bounce. What does that signify, exactly?
Old 09-25-2018, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

The newest of the noobs!

Sensors not working
Old 09-25-2018, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
The wheels would be pretty bad ass if you cleaned them up put the center caps back on and painted/powder coated them gold or white. Then you would be feeling them....I think white rims on the red body you have would be killer in that old BBS look alike style.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
White Rims

Do you see what I mean....?

Old 09-27-2018, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Well, I ‘kinda’ like BBS wheels (I liked them more back in the 80’s!!) but I don’t think the MSW wheels will ever ilook that good. I saw a pic of them here a few days ago while searching the Internet. Also, I think the center caps will be ultra tough to find.

If I can find the original phone dials I may go that route. But those are tough to find as well because of the 1986 offset. Cup 1, Cup 2 and certain Boxster rims in 17 are a possibility. That’s a ways down the road though. I e got lots of other stuff to get ironed out first!

Still no start!
Old 09-27-2018, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I would also consider the factory alarm system if it has such as that will disable ignition and present with no start condition. My 88 presented a no start suddenly last year and it was the alarm. I jumped per forum instructions and it started immediately. Also Clarkís is a good resource for that as well as this forum.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Thanks for the tip. No factory (or aftermarket for that matter) alarm on the car.

I checked the sensors per Clark’s page and they appear to be good. They look fairly new. They’re connected but it looks like someone cut the factory wires and spliced in new wires that go directly to the DME. Next step is to make sure I have continuity for both sensors where the DME wiring harness plugs into the DME. Personally I’m leaning towards DME. I opened the box a few days ago (and there was evidence it had been opened several times before) and the inside just looked like it could use some help.

Would love to find a DME to borrow here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area to verify, but that’s a long shot.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-O View Post
Would love to find a DME to borrow here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area to verify, but that’s a long shot.
Do you know of Zim's Autotechnik up in the Hurst-Bedford area? They are a great parts supplier and have a workshop too.

Last edited by Spring44; 09-28-2018 at 12:47 PM..
Old 09-28-2018, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Yup, I know Zim’s. Have already been by several times to get parts for this project. Good guys over there.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the tip. No factory (or aftermarket for that matter) alarm on the car.

I checked the sensors per Clarkís page and they appear to be good. They look fairly new. Theyíre connected but it looks like someone cut the factory wires and spliced in new wires that go directly to the DME. Next step is to make sure I have continuity for both sensors where the DME wiring harness plugs into the DME. Personally Iím leaning towards DME. I opened the box a few days ago (and there was evidence it had been opened several times before) and the inside just looked like it could use some help.

Would love to find a DME to borrow here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area to verify, but thatís a long shot.
I went through quite an ordeal with my 951 for a no-start issue. Finally took it to a shop and they confirmed the DME was bad. I sent both the DME and KLR to ECU Doctor in Florida and they said both were bad. $900 later the car starts fine! But you could just send yours out for testing.

Nice looking car, though would have to agree the wheels aren't the best looking. To me, an 86 951 in red with the one-year-only 16" deep dish phone dials is the perfect looking stock turbo. I have a pair of the hard to find 8" rears if you're interested, though probably a low priority at the moment. Good luck with the car!

Oh by the way, my 87 with Boxster wheels:
[IMG]20180923_081139 by Jeremy Mayne, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old 10-01-2018, 10:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Yeah I’ve narrowed it down to the DME/KLR. I have a few questions for the fTech9 guys (like why I might need or want a 28 pin chip connector instead of the stock 26 pin connector) and then I’ll probably go that route. I’ll keep thing stick for the most part, but I think I’ll override the stock part for the fTech DME.

I will keep the 8”x16” phone dials in mind. I still have a little research to do but I’m leaning towards the phone dials. If I go later rims I’ll need to get spacers. Just an added cost I’ll need to factor in. I’ll be doing the brakes soon and rotors will be a part of that equation. Not sure if I can add later rotors to an early Turbo and end up with the later offset. Or if rotors and calipers and ? Would need to be replaced too.

I like your 951. Is that a stock color?
Old 10-02-2018, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Yeah Iíve narrowed it down to the DME/KLR. I have a few questions for the fTech9 guys (like why I might need or want a 28 pin chip connector instead of the stock 26 pin connector) and then Iíll probably go that route. Iíll keep thing stick for the most part, but I think Iíll override the stock part for the fTech DME.

I will keep the 8Ēx16Ē phone dials in mind. I still have a little research to do but Iím leaning towards the phone dials. If I go later rims Iíll need to get spacers. Just an added cost Iíll need to factor in. Iíll be doing the brakes soon and rotors will be a part of that equation. Not sure if I can add later rotors to an early Turbo and end up with the later offset. Or if rotors and calipers and ? Would need to be replaced too.

I like your 951. Is that a stock color?
Thanks. The color is Nautic Blue, fairly uncommon factory color.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: