Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bartow, Florida
Posts: 560
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHEN View Post
I am looking forward to seeing it finished.

Good Luck!

GHEN
Thanks....Me too...Lol!
Old 09-29-2019, 12:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 456
Garage
Definitely drive it and have fun with it. The pictures of the block with pistons numbered is NOT a Porsche shop and they were taken in 2011. The other pictures at the "dealership" seem legit. But then the engine in the car with animal-left nutshells on the shock tower, the timing cover missing from the engine, and other things do not seem like a Porsche Dealership built the engine "bottom to top", nor did they install it. Combine that with the non matching and dented and incomplete body and no factory wheels and a cut up interior with no factory seats, you have a car worth about $3k tops.
__________________
84 944, 87 Vanagon, 88 Mitsubishi Van Wagon, 88 Supra Targa, 1990 Audi 90 20V Quattro sedan, 1992 Lexus LS400, 1993 LandCruiser, 1997 LandCruiser, 2017 Subaru Outback.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bartow, Florida
Posts: 560
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoDoug View Post
Definitely drive it and have fun with it. The pictures of the block with pistons numbered is NOT a Porsche shop and they were taken in 2011. The other pictures at the "dealership" seem legit. But then the engine in the car with animal-left nutshells on the shock tower, the timing cover missing from the engine, and other things do not seem like a Porsche Dealership built the engine "bottom to top", nor did they install it. Combine that with the non matching and dented and incomplete body and no factory wheels and a cut up interior with no factory seats, you have a car worth about $3k tops.
Really!!! the car was at the dealership for almost 9 months totalling almost 12K in repairs I have pictures and actual receipts of the work done!!! and I posted some videos of the car finally running at the dealership a while back...Don't be a hater!!! I will post the info later I'm at work now and read this and your right the picture showing the inside of the engine is from a mechanic that I was referred to from here no less however I had such a bad experience with him I won't dare say his name...which is the reason why I took it to the dealership in the first place...I just didn't know at the time the dealer was going to treat me and my car with such a level of respect as if it was a GT3 and I was the owner which is why I am very pleased with their service...now my car's rebuild process is documented across the country in their system...Can you say that for your car???


and to each their own about the interior anybody can switch the car back to the factory interior and they will still probably add the 968 speaker system back in in a different color maybe as desired by them but highly plausible to think this way??? but the bare bones of the car is one of a kind and aint no way in hell I would even entertain a low balled offer such as that....a lot of you guys are on here with vacuum leaks, DME issues, brake troubles, non-start problems, and still paid 3K or more for that car...and yes I've noted and acknowledged that the car the still needs work...eventually I will get the interior professionally redone and the AC redone by the dealership and Professionally painted (probably a new Porsche color but I haven't decided yet) I'm still adding extras though like I wanted 968 door handles and mirrors to go with the 968 inspired spoiler and the Turbo rear diffuser to go with the Turbo inspired front bumper The hood is dented because it is old it is from a real 1978 931 that actually seen races (I know nobody cares but me) but it is not some aftermarket made up thing...it was made by Porsche. I have a set of 16" late offset phonies in storage I have been thinking about selling because I like the Victor Equipment rims better but that's just me...at least they are specifically designed to fit on Porsches...I did my research, they are just about the only aftermarket wheel manufacturer for our cars...without getting into forged $3.5-4K market...you know I really didn't expect so much hate from this forum...I thought you guys would recognize and respect the work that has been put into the car so far all of the mechanics of the car have been redone..PERIOD with receipts no less...it has a custom designed by me and inspected, assembled and installed by the dealership Big brake kit I created for this car see my other posts??? I have adjustable Ground Control coilovers on all four. RS Barn Strut bar I still haven't installed..a ECU from a car with 50K miles on it? full ceramic coated exhaust and a sport catback with a free flow muffler I have lindsey semi-hard motor mounts I have a 968 inspired carbon fiber spoiler on it a kit but none the less real carbon fiber Semi race Web Cams (the ones right before you need an aftermarket ECU) I wanted to use the stock ECU and not have to deal with tuning a aftermarket kit to run the car seemed like a no brainer to me...its a street car. JE pistons (and I posted the pictures of that because they are just beautiful!!!) yeah they were installed by this guy..and re-examined by the dealership before they put it together, as a matter of fact, I made them disassemble the whole engine again and start from scratch putting it back together because of the troubles I had with this guy....and they did a fantastic job!!! Oh! I will enjoy the car!!! but you guys are being really critical, when all of my parts I have installed have less than 6 miles on them...really guys...nut shells in the engine bay it doesn't have a engine cover because I couldn't find one in all of America to fit an 87' S engine (still looking for one anybody?) hence the car is 32 years old..WTF really? and since then I have detailed the engine bay of the car myself no nuts shells and leaves now...its a garage queen and not being left outside like it was at the dealership...they finished the work and I owed them a couple of thousand dollars and they waited for me...Awesome? They are awesome and I would recommend anyone of you all to them to get any work done well worth the ticket.

Sorry for the long post but dang you guys are way too harsh on a car that has all of the bare bone mechanics completely renewed or rebuilt....ask yourself where you are at with your car and can you say a dealer did the work...no certified service records just you saying what you had done to it but where is the Proof???

Last edited by PHillary; 10-04-2019 at 11:38 AM..
Old 10-04-2019, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bartow, Florida
Posts: 560
Garage
Real Pictures from the dealership's garage

From pieces on the floor in my garage and this guy's garage to assembled on the dealer's stand...











Last edited by PHillary; 10-04-2019 at 11:39 AM..
Old 10-04-2019, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bartow, Florida
Posts: 560
Garage
To assembled and in the car










Old 10-04-2019, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 3,559
Just because you paid that much doesn't mean someone else will find it worth that much.

Everyone here knows that, unless maybe they have a factory original low miles mint car.

Just the price we pay to enjoy the cars.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
 
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 456
Garage
Hey, just to clarify, we are all enthusiasts here and you should be doing exactly what you want with your car and enjoying it your way!

However it is worth noting that your thread title is asking "What's my car worth?" and you mentioned "$12-$25,000". If you really want an answer, I felt it worth pointing out what I perceived as a difference between your narrative and your pictures. The first pictures clearly show a guy in blue jeans in a building with unpainted plywood walls working on the bottom end of your engine. So I mentioned "top to bottom" doesn't match that. You could correct me by saying "Yes in this latest work at the Porsche dealership they did tear down the engine's bottom end and rebuild the engine from top to bottom." But you didn't.

I also pointed out that it does not look like a Porsche dealership installed the engine as there are nutshells that appear to be from an animal eating stuff on top of the shock tower, and the engine is missing the timing cover. You could have corrected me and said "Yes the Porsche dealership installed the engine in my car after rebuilding it top to bottom." But you didn't.

So, I wanted you to have a realistic expectation on the value of your car and was pointing out a couple things that will make a big difference. It's hard on the internet to be critical of something without appearing to be an ass, so I apologize for the shortcomings of the conversation we are having, but I wanted to be clear about my feelings about your car's value as a 40 year multiple car owner, blah, blah. Hope thats useful info.
__________________
84 944, 87 Vanagon, 88 Mitsubishi Van Wagon, 88 Supra Targa, 1990 Audi 90 20V Quattro sedan, 1992 Lexus LS400, 1993 LandCruiser, 1997 LandCruiser, 2017 Subaru Outback.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bartow, Florida
Posts: 560
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by v2rocket_aka944 View Post
Just because you paid that much doesn't mean someone else will find it worth that much.

Everyone here knows that, unless maybe they have a factory original low miles mint car.

Just the price we pay to enjoy the cars.
You are absolutely right about me seeing value where others don't...It's just that I thought most of you guys felt the same way as I and when you guys didn't it kinda shocked me!!!

I figured since the car was well sorted it would hold more value over the rest and plus as someone pointed out previously...Yes! I have seen the 944 market prices rising in general. Recently when some of you pointed out the obvious about the AC, the body work, the factory originality of it, I felt like you guys were just nick picking at it...and sorry! for that because me too! as an perspective buyer I would take those things into consideration as well (even if it was just to get the seller to drop the price a little bit) just about anybody buying a car nowadays would do that...I should come back and re-post this thread after all work is completed and re-title it "So now what do you all think about worth"....Lol!

I see you guys point on those things and thanks for the feedback and yes I asked in terms of getting honest answers and you all did just that gave honest answers....so thanks for that. I didn't like you all's truth really but I can respect the truth...Wishing all Pelicans much success with their cars and I will be monitoring you all just because I'm a gear head and we all are 944/951/968 brothers...Hope to see some of you all cars in real life one day...Peace!

Last edited by PHillary; 10-05-2019 at 05:39 AM..
Old 10-05-2019, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bartow, Florida
Posts: 560
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoDoug View Post
Hey, just to clarify, we are all enthusiasts here and you should be doing exactly what you want with your car and enjoying it your way!

However it is worth noting that your thread title is asking "What's my car worth?" and you mentioned "$12-$25,000". If you really want an answer, I felt it worth pointing out what I perceived as a difference between your narrative and your pictures. The first pictures clearly show a guy in blue jeans in a building with unpainted plywood walls working on the bottom end of your engine. So I mentioned "top to bottom" doesn't match that. You could correct me by saying "Yes in this latest work at the Porsche dealership they did tear down the engine's bottom end and rebuild the engine from top to bottom." But you didn't.

I also pointed out that it does not look like a Porsche dealership installed the engine as there are nutshells that appear to be from an animal eating stuff on top of the shock tower, and the engine is missing the timing cover. You could have corrected me and said "Yes the Porsche dealership installed the engine in my car after rebuilding it top to bottom." But you didn't.

So, I wanted you to have a realistic expectation on the value of your car and was pointing out a couple things that will make a big difference. It's hard on the internet to be critical of something without appearing to be an ass, so I apologize for the shortcomings of the conversation we are having, but I wanted to be clear about my feelings about your car's value as a 40 year multiple car owner, blah, blah. Hope thats useful info.
I apologize for seeming harsh on you about your assessment of the car...I don't know why but in my head I felt like the entire pelican community already had background knowledge in their head about the car since I have been putting up pictures of the car every since I brought it home a few years ago now. It never dawned on me that people actually have lives...Lol! and knowledge of my car is not something people are concerned with...for some stupid reason I thought because I posted it on here the whole world already knew the background story??? Sorry for that!

Last edited by PHillary; 10-05-2019 at 05:40 AM..
Old 10-05-2019, 05:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bartow, Florida
Posts: 560
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
My guess is it adds value depending on the condition of the rest of the car and its overall mileage.

For example, a perfect low mileage car would bring top dollar. On the other hand, a high mileage car (say +100K miles) that needs a suspension rebuild, has a high mileage clutch, and rotors that need replacing at the next brake pad replacement will see minimal bump in overall worth.
And this is why I thought the car would be of a higher value to you guys because it now has all of those things mentioned above...and I probably wouldn't even sell to anybody but the Pelican family and the Rennlist'ers I also figured if anybody saw the value in it, it would be one of you all!!!
Old 10-05-2019, 05:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 456
Garage
It's important for you to know that to get higher value for a vehicle, it must be finished and complete. Buyers can be divided roughly into three categories as follows:

Willing to pay top dollar: Car must be complete, running well and essentially something they can buy today and drive tomorrow to start impressing their friends immediately. Extremely good cosmetics, and these buyers don't work on cars. Collectors also reside here.

Willing to pay normal prices: Car must again be complete and running but it's intended to be more of a driver and they tend to be original with few modifications and have some typical wear. Owner can do light maintenance.

Willing to pay only well below normal prices: Car can be incomplete, nonrunning, have cosmetic issues, or have engine swaps, lowering kits, and nonstock modifications, customizing, etc. These folks love wrenching on cars and are comfortable making the car their own no matter what they bought it as. But they don't pay much.

So, if you are putting money into this car expecting to get top dollar, or even get your money back, you should reconsider that strategy given you are modifying it. It sounds like you spent good money on the engine at a dealership so it should be reliable. But you should finish the car and start enjoying it yourself as the best way to get a payback in my opinion. Do some Craigslist shopping to get an idea of what these cars are actually selling for every day, versus the collector grade examples at top auctions everyone likes to talk about in terms of price. These are fun cars to drive, so don't let yours sit in the garage!
__________________
84 944, 87 Vanagon, 88 Mitsubishi Van Wagon, 88 Supra Targa, 1990 Audi 90 20V Quattro sedan, 1992 Lexus LS400, 1993 LandCruiser, 1997 LandCruiser, 2017 Subaru Outback.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Montgomery Tx
Posts: 497
Garage
Oh snap it has 968 door handles in it. That brings it up to $3200
18 speakers $3250
Custom engine and interior paint $2250

I can keep going
If you don’t want to hear what people think then don’t ask people what they think but at the end of the day it doesn’t have to please anyone but you and if you’re pleased with it then who cares what I think. I just think your money could’ve been spent in better ways.
Tony
Old 10-09-2019, 04:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
 
Patrick
 
pfarah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Plymouth MA
Posts: 1,343
Garage
If I may chime in...

These cars are great fun to both drive and wrench; I derive great pleasure in the restoration/repair process, never thinking about a return on investment. Even the guys that own garage queens still have to factor in annual maintenance, insurance, storage fees (if applicable); all the while worrying about the future's market. Unless one is a serious collector (they wouldn't really consider this model anyway), care for it, drive it and then fix/restore as needed. The 944 is a wonderful way to get into the car hobby! Try to enjoy what you have and, by all means, keep being engaged in this and other forums. This is definitely a great group of people who will try to help a fellow 944 owner.
Just my 2cents...
__________________
1984 944 NA, constant tinkering
Old 10-09-2019, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bartow, Florida
Posts: 560
Garage
Yeah I get it...I just didn't think I was going to get the response I got and yes although I got a bit defensive, I did ask for other peoples opinion as "BigToe" pointed out...like they say sometimes the truth hurts Lol! Anyways I do not plan on selling it no time soon. I was just testing the waters as they say and with the response I received, it just confirms that I will sit on it and make some more modifications that pleases "me"...and thanks again all for your (Pelican Family) honest opinions and I apologize to any of you all again for losing my cool or seeming unacceptive of any of you all opinions. Til next time!!!

Last edited by PHillary; 10-09-2019 at 06:42 PM..
Old 10-09-2019, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:16 PM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.