Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Should I cut the doors and panels for better speakers

Hi all. I'm recovering my door panels in leather. I've already stripped the old material off. Before I recover them I debating on cutting out for 6.5 inch speakers. I'm looking for some opinions. If I do it now there will be no signs of the old holes but I will have to use 1 inch spacers for clearance. What do ya'll think. Cut or not cut that's the question

Last edited by zrxz1dave; 10-04-2018 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: Pictures
Old 10-04-2018, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
If I was you....I would see if you could convert them to the 968 style door panels you could then add the 968 speaker pods underneath the door handle arm....which requires cutting a hole in the door panel anyway...What year car do you have? Looks like an early model...not sure if the would fit but definitely worth researching though. Keep us posted!
Old 10-04-2018, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Previous owner of my car did this - though not as neatly as you are. He also cut holes in the top of the doors for tweeters.

Kept his speakers when he sold me the car, so I had no choice but to throw a pair of 6.5" component speakers in the holes. Purely for aesthetics, you understand.

I thought they looked fine. Just clears the diagonal profile of the bottom of the dash, and I went with black grills/trim against a black panel.

Sounds great.

Of course, he also converted the cabbies in the trunk behind the rear wheels into subwoofer enclosures...had to fill in those holes as well.

So hard for me to isolate the sound from just the front speakers.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
My car is an 87 924s. 968 panels wont work. already put 6.5 infinities in the rear along with 6x9s in boxes in the back. the 4x6s just dont have the quality sound.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Hilary, I'm converting to the 968 panels, since mine were cut up. Not a straight swap.

The best I was able to do for speakers were a 5.25 and a 3.5 in the stock locations. Some trimming was required. Not sure if that beats a 6.5. Then you need to source a 3 way crossover (or have a crazy multi amp setup that filters the frequencies). Also was a bit of a challenge to mount a tweeter behind the stock grill.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I also have black leather with red stitching for the 85.5 and up panels that I bought and found out it was wrong if any of you want them on me for pics. I'll let them go for cheap
Old 10-04-2018, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Not sure now....you might have to make a flat panel out of 1/4" MDF (love this stuff) to mount your speaker to behind the door panel...I'm afraid for you...if you cut the hole and just put the speaker in the door panel without a mount of some sort you will most likely hit the window winder mechanism with the end or back of the speaker and your windows might not go up and down properly.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
To me the question boils down to this tradeoff - better sound quality versus original look.

The sound quality improvement is somewhat in the ear of the beholder. The original look is in the eye of the beholder. So which is more important to you and possible future buyers of your car - sound or original look.

There is only so much one can do given the structural limitations of the car. A superb sound system probably means lots of modifications to the original look.

I'm facing this question and have chosen to go with digital sound processing head unit / amplifier set up that gets the most out of programming the units to optimize the sound. This allows me to avoid the "cutting the door card question. If programming the sound to optimize the current speakers isn't enough, then I can go down the cut the panels route later and put better speakers in the car.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumflick View Post
Hilary, I'm converting to the 968 panels, since mine were cut up. Not a straight swap.

The best I was able to do for speakers were a 5.25 and a 3.5 in the stock locations. Some trimming was required. Not sure if that beats a 6.5. Then you need to source a 3 way crossover (or have a crazy multi amp setup that filters the frequencies). Also was a bit of a challenge to mount a tweeter behind the stock grill.
Probably not the best way but I did not use a crossover or eq of any sort....I just ran my new speakers and door tweeter wires to the old 4x6 connection and spliced them in....to much work to source that old crossover or adding a new one on to the system...maybe later I'll have a local music shop or best buy add it in but for now that's how I have done it and they all play and sound good to me...but I am not a DJ or an Music producer...I don't even own a pair of beats headphones...so what do I know. Lol!

Last edited by PHillary; 10-04-2018 at 01:33 PM..
Old 10-04-2018, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Original look is gone. I stripped out everything. Put in new carpet. New headliner ,leather dash and a pillars and headliner trim. Leather on rear speaker areas 928 power buckets. The 1 inch spacers would have to go outside the door panels to space them out from inside the door.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
My car
Old 10-04-2018, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

JL may have some of the cast frame 4x6 German made speakers floating around.

These are some mercedes dash speakers for the phone out of a older style W140. They fit with a little Dremel work in the side vents. They're fine for upper midrange.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Misunderstood User

Garage
Nice looking Dave. I like the seats.

1983 944n/a
2003 Mercedes CLK 500 - totaled. Sanwiched on the Kennedy Expressway
Old 10-05-2018, 04:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
GO AWAY! Stay in Cali

Garage
In my humble opinion I feel that type of mod looks tacky and doesn't belong on a Porsche. But it's your car and my guess is that you will cut the panels. Keeping the look as stock as possible keeps the classy look and feel of the vehicle and enhances it's resale value.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for everyone's input. After closer examination I decided to go ahead with the model. I started it today. I only have to cut the door for the clearance of the magnet. A little light fabrication for a filler on the door and patch the panel. With new batting and the new leather it will look nice. Posting pics of progress.

Old 10-05-2018, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
More pics

Old 10-05-2018, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
More pics
Old 10-05-2018, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Tomorrow I will cut the door. The cut will be between the two black lines as only the magnet needs clearance. So a small cut. 1 original mount hole will be used top left and a pre drilled hole on top right. Will post update tomorrow
Old 10-05-2018, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

check the door check strap clearance when the door is closed.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
I checked the clearance and I have plenty of room
Old 10-06-2018, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: