Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche 924 Non Starter

Hi all, I am a new owner of a 1987 Porsche 924S automatic. I am also a home mechanic with limited knowledge or equipment but need a helping hand. I bought it at auction with very limited knowledge about the car. When i got it, there was an alternator in the car and the balance shaft belt was removed, so i assumed they were replacing the alternator before selling it. The last MOT was 2014 and i can only assume it hasn't been started since then.

Since getting the car, I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter and rubber hoses by the tank. I also drained and flushed all the fuel, which came out green and was barely flammable. I put fresh fuel in and it is definitely getting to the fuel rail, as I can hear it when the pumps running. I also believe fuel is getting to the cylinders as when i take the spark plugs out they are wet.

The spark plugs are sparking when i take ground them to the car, I also connected the engine straight to the negative terminal of the battery in case it was a corroded ground wire.

There was a break in the vacuum line which I repaired and believe the rest of the lines to be good and connected properly.

After all this i turn the key and it turns over and wants to start, but only fires in one cylinder. This is because only one exhaust is warm, i think cylinder 4 (closest to the steering wheel).

The passenger foot-well seems dry so i don't think the DME is damaged but could have been previously. There's also a metal on metal noise coming from the engine which is worrying me.

So, what next to start it?? I am pretty much stumped!! Any help would be appreciated
Old 10-12-2018, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
In the Fires of Hell.....

Garage
Start with the holy trinity:

1) Spark - check
2) Fuel - check
3) Compression - ?

Timing - Make sure that your wires are connected in the order shown on the cam tower. Not much else to do other than make sure that camshaft is in time with crankshaft, which should show up in compression testing.

This is an interference engine, so metal on metal could be a bad thing...
1987 944S - Restored salvage title, ready to live again
Old 10-12-2018, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

If you have fuel-pump running and a at least single spark, following is OK:

- speed/ref sensors
- DME relay
- DME
- fuel-pump

Check following:

- cam-timing
- distributor rotor orientation
- distributor rotor/cap wear
- fuel-injectors. Pull fuel-rail and place little paper-cups under each injector. Crank for 5-8 seconds. Are fuel-level in all cups same?
- fuel-injector harnesses.

With ALL injectors disconnected, key ON, you should get full battery-voltage on one terminal of connector, and ZERO voltage on other. ANY voltage on 2nd terminal means you have cracked/corroded injector-harness wiring . They often break under rubber boot.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The metal on metal could be lack of lubrication from sitting, and then turning but not building oil pressure / circulating oil perhaps?

If you tank needed to be cleaned, then your fuel lines may be clogged as well. You need to be taking fuel pressure at the rail, and verify that your fuel injectors are spraying healthily.

It sounds like you are close to getting it started, but you need to check these things
https://instagram.com/bradical924/
Old 10-12-2018, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Borrow or buy a set of noid lights and test to see if all injectors are getting an electrical signal to fire. If you are getting fuel, injector signals and the engine tries to start but doesn't, then your injectors may be plugged with old fuel varnish. Clean the injectors yourself or have them professionally cleaned and flow tested. It only costs about $15-20 each here in the colonies, but not sure about Canterbury.

When I revived my '84 after a long storage, I had to finally drop my fuel tank and have it cleaned because it kept feeding residual fuel varnish to the injectors and replugging them. I also periodically add Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner to my fuel to keep the injectors and valves deposit free. It is great stuff!
Good luck!

Last edited by Spring44; 10-12-2018 at 06:27 PM..
Old 10-12-2018, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys, took the injectors out this evening and cleaned them out myself with carburettor cleaner, put them in the car and started a treat!! Now to start fine tuning and replacing all lines, never mind the body work!!
Old 10-15-2018, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: