Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Any good videos on replacing fuel injectors on an 88 924S?

Hello again everyone, I've read as much as I could find on fuel injection. I was wondering if there are any good videos on the subject. I've looked through Youtube and not much on there, unless I've overlooked something. Thanks...
Old 01-10-2019, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I don't have a video but I did this about 2 weeks ago. Just unplug the wires from the injectors by pulling on them. Unhook the vacuum hose and the two fuel hoses on the fuel rail. Remove the four small bolts from the fuel rail. Lift up on the fuel rail and the injectors come out with the fuel rail. Remove the four metal clips and pull out the injectors. Put the new ones in, insert the metal clips and reinstall fuel rail, hook the hoses back up, and plug them in. It took me about 45 minutes to do this. Its really easy. I have an 88 924S.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16again2009 View Post
I don't have a video but I did this about 2 weeks ago. Just unplug the wires from the injectors by pulling on them. Unhook the vacuum hose and the two fuel hoses on the fuel rail. Remove the four small bolts from the fuel rail. Lift up on the fuel rail and the injectors come out with the fuel rail. Remove the four metal clips and pull out the injectors. Put the new ones in, insert the metal clips and reinstall fuel rail, hook the hoses back up, and plug them in. It took me about 45 minutes to do this. Its really easy. I have an 88 924S.
Thanks I really appreciate your comments. As I've stated before in other forums. I'm lost when it comes to fuel injection, and don't need to incur more expenses with my human factor and lack of knowledge mistakes. Thanks again...

Last edited by Johnny O; 01-11-2019 at 01:20 AM..
Old 01-11-2019, 01:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16again2009 View Post

This is exactly what I did as well...on my 924S 1988.......mini '88 club?!

M
Old 01-11-2019, 04:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
It would also help if you would post your location. If one of use lives close to you we would probably come help you. If I live close to you I will do it for you for free.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I would recommend following strict safety precautions so you don't set the car or house on fire:

1. Do the work outside,
2. make sure the engine is cool,
3. have lots of catch rags for spilled fuel, and completely dry any spilled fuel immediately
4. have a fire extinguisher handy, and
5. pressure test for fuel leaks by jumpering the DME relay before trying to start it.

Also lube the orings on the new injectors so you don't overstress the fuel rail when installing...

Are your fuel lines original, they are a very common cause of 944 engine fires...

http://www.arnnworx.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=page&id=17&chapter=1

http://www.arnnworx.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=73

Last edited by djnolan; 01-11-2019 at 07:03 AM..
Old 01-11-2019, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Also DO NOT pull on injector wires to remove them. Due to old crispy wiring, you'll cause more damage that may appear to be injector-related.

To properly remove injector connector:

1. Locate locking square-spring at tip of connector
2. Pry off spring ends with precision screwdriver
3. Hold plastic body (not wires) of injector connector to pull off

Might as well slice off rubber boot to verify wiring inside isn't cracked or broken just before it enters plastic connector body.

If your wiring is cracked or broken, you can cut it out and butt splce in replacement injector pigtail from Napa. In parts list here: DIY - Harness Connectors

Last edited by DannoXYZ; 01-12-2019 at 12:23 PM..
Old 01-12-2019, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: