Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Antipurist

Question Bent/Bowed Sunroof, or Roof Panel?

Either the roof is bent down just behind the sunroof, or the rear edge of the sunroof panel is bowed up. I think it's the latter but maybe someone sat on the roof with the sunroof off and bent the roof panel At first I figured the sunroof just got damaged while off at some point but then I started worrying that it was caused by the frame flexing and squishing it. Have you ever seen this before? Are my worries unwarranted? One way or another it needs to be rectified so any help is appreciated!

Old 02-04-2019, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
It's hard to tell by the picture but it looks like the frame on the car is bent.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

It is very difficult to bend that part of the roof (the metal part behind the sunroof) as it is reinforced from the bottom. Not saying it isn't possible, just very hard to do it. As in you can put another car on top of it and it won't bend.

It's more likely the fiberglass panel is bowed up. I would remove the sunroof and make sure there isn't something in the track. As well, the seal doesn't look like it's sitting on the lip of the fiberglass panel all the way so it could be that the seal is preventing the back of the panel from going all the way down.

Either way, you don't want to leave it in its current position as you can permanently warp the sunroof. Don't ask how I know this...
Old 02-05-2019, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Garage
Either that's a terrible picture that makes a perfectly straight roof look like it's bent, or your roof is really bent. Try another picture because to me the rear section of the roof behind the panel looks all wavy and bent such that I can't believe you'd need us to tell you that it's bent. It literally looks like I can see a butt shaped dent to the left of center as if some people were sitting there.

Try another picture? Remove the panel and try a picture?
Old 02-05-2019, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Antipurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoDoug View Post
Either that's a terrible picture that makes a perfectly straight roof look like it's bent, or your roof is really bent. Try another picture because to me the rear section of the roof behind the panel looks all wavy and bent such that I can't believe you'd need us to tell you that it's bent. It literally looks like I can see a butt shaped dent to the left of center as if some people were sitting there.

Try another picture? Remove the panel and try a picture?
There are obviously some small superficial dents in the roof sheet metal but what Iím concerned about is if thereís something wrong with the overall structure/frame that caused this.

I bought this car sight unseen so Iím going over it now to see what all needs to be addressed.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
The back part of the roof definitely looks dented to me It looks like someone heavy probably sat on the rear roof opening with the panel removed, possibly someone riding in the roof opening with legs down in the car. Alcoholic beverages may've been involved.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Antipurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkshdw View Post
It is very difficult to bend that part of the roof (the metal part behind the sunroof) as it is reinforced from the bottom. Not saying it isn't possible, just very hard to do it. As in you can put another car on top of it and it won't bend.

It's more likely the fiberglass panel is bowed up. I would remove the sunroof and make sure there isn't something in the track. As well, the seal doesn't look like it's sitting on the lip of the fiberglass panel all the way so it could be that the seal is preventing the back of the panel from going all the way down.

Either way, you don't want to leave it in its current position as you can permanently warp the sunroof. Don't ask how I know this...
The seal on the panel looks good (as in, not falling off), but the body section seal was indeed off in the center and squished in the gutter. I "fixed" it and put the panel back down but the bow was still there. Seeing this, would you say i I just need a new sunroof panel?

I just want to be sure this car is straight overall and didn't have a nasty off-track incident or something before I start the restoration/build. I have big plans for this car

Old 02-07-2019, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but in the first picture it does look as if the rear corner of the sunroof is down pretty low, indicating too much bend in the sunroof panel. I had this happen on a replacement panel I put in my car.

There are two adjustable crossbars inside the sunroof panel, going the long way across, which hold the panel curve. Maybe the rear cross bar is too tight?

The adjustment screw(s) can be accessed from the side of the of the interior cover piece. There are two holes (may be covered with plugs?). From these holes you should see a wide slotted bolt head in there you use to adjust the length of that crossbar
Old 02-07-2019, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Antipurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by theer View Post
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but in the first picture it does look as if the rear corner of the sunroof is down pretty low, indicating too much bend in the sunroof panel. I had this happen on a replacement panel I put in my car.

There are two adjustable crossbars inside the sunroof panel, going the long way across, which hold the panel curve. Maybe the rear cross bar is too tight?

The adjustment screw(s) can be accessed from the side of the of the interior cover piece. There are two holes (may be covered with plugs?). From these holes you should see a wide slotted bolt head in there you use to adjust the length of that crossbar
Oh yea, I remember reading about those truss rods a while back. I'll see if loosening the rear one helps
Old 02-07-2019, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Garage
This is one odd thread. I'm not sure what the car looks like in person, but that #2 picture makes it seem like there is a huge and obvious bend behind the sunroof opening. With comments on that, you then provide a third photo that shows what look like deep and heavy abrasion marks (white scratches) right in the same area, but the Photobucket logo is perfectly positioned right over the top of the suspect area.

I'm not sure what else we can do without some care in the pictures or an attempt with some good lighting to show what is going on there. I suggest you take that same picture angle used in #2 but with the vehicle in a place where there are no misleading reflections. I can't get over that #2 photo and I bet there are others here in the same position.

Happily, the #1 photo makes it look like there is a good chance the sunroof is crooked, not the car. But that #2 panel dominates for those of us not there at the car...
Old 02-07-2019, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Antipurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoDoug View Post
This is one odd thread. I'm not sure what the car looks like in person, but that #2 picture makes it seem like there is a huge and obvious bend behind the sunroof opening. With comments on that, you then provide a third photo that shows what look like deep and heavy abrasion marks (white scratches) right in the same area, but the Photobucket logo is perfectly positioned right over the top of the suspect area.

I'm not sure what else we can do without some care in the pictures or an attempt with some good lighting to show what is going on there. I suggest you take that same picture angle used in #2 but with the vehicle in a place where there are no misleading reflections. I can't get over that #2 photo and I bet there are others here in the same position.

Happily, the #1 photo makes it look like there is a good chance the sunroof is crooked, not the car. But that #2 panel dominates for those of us not there at the car...
Well it's a bit of an odd car lol I wish I knew its full history. It may have been a "barn find" at some point. The paint is heavily faded, the rubber spoiler and bumperettes have that old UV-aged look that can't just be "fixed" with some detailing, and the PO said he found some mud dauber nests in/around it. However, mechanically it's solid. It just needs a new head gasket (probably/hopefully).

The white in photo 3 is actually just old wax that someone didn't buff off completely.

Sorry for the bad pictures, they're just quick cellphone snapshots. I thought maybe this was something that you guys who know these cars inside and out might have seen before or know right off the bat. I'll try to flag the bad reflections and get some real photos soon with better light (I can't move the car right now)

I get what you're saying. My gut says its just the sunroof because the curve/shape of the rear edge of the roof seems to better match the curve of the roof where it meets the rear of the sunroof, i.e., both parts are more "flat" than round/bowed.

Aside from getting another sunroof to see if that's the culprit, I might try using a long level to measure and compare roofs by setting it on the roof, holding it level, then measuring down to the roof/a-pillar trim piece. I'll repeat the measurement with the level set on the rear of the sunroof. If I also do this on a "good" car, it should give me a better idea of what is correct.

Thanks for all the replies!

Last edited by Kwazii; 02-08-2019 at 06:41 AM..
Old 02-08-2019, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
bent , bowed , roof , sunroof