Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Edward Larsen

Garage
Send a message via MSN to 911flyer Send a message via Skype™ to 911flyer
Renovating an old glass hatch. Help.

Hi guys. So I got a hold of a rear hatch via a friend and since I have a turbo wing laying on the ahelf I decided I would take it and fix it up and mount the turbo wing on it. Its unfortunately not a 44 hatch but it instead must have belonged to 924s or 931, I’m not sure. A small wing seems to have been mounted at some point.

Never the less. I have ran into a problem with the locking pins on the hatch. They are in horrible shape and need to be replaced. Rust everywhere as the hatch must have sat outside for years!!

I need to remove them in order to move forward. I’m afraid of destroying the mount. Any help?

The hatch is otherwise coming together quite nice the trim will be refilled after perfect fitment and resprayed in satin black.

Thanks!!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2019, 11:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Brush the threads thoroughly and soak with penetrating oil (for several days if necessary) and try to back the locking pins out of the alloy mounting block. If you can do this, just replace the pins.

The alloy block is attached to the frame with two Phillips-head screws, whose slots are sometimes stripped. My pins were badly rusted to the block and the screws were stripped so that I had to drill the head off of the screws, slip the mounting block off, and then back the remaining shaft of the screw out with vise grip pliers.

The pins and mounting block are still available new from suppliers ,in carbon and stainless steel, so you can always just replace them. The critical part is getting the Phillips screws out of the frame intact if you need to remove the block. Good Luck!

Last edited by Spring44; 02-06-2019 at 09:46 AM..
Old 02-06-2019, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I was only able to remove one of the four Phillips screws with a driver, another two with an “easy out” and the last one with a drill (to remove the broken “easy out”). Attached are pics from that saga. Good luck!

Old 02-06-2019, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: