Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Yellow Crud Inside Throttle Body - 86 944 NA

I'm in the middle of diagnosing a starting issue, I pulled off my J hose to replace the Temp sensor and found this crud sitting inside the throttle body and slightly into the J hose. It wiped right away and wasn't anywhere else that I could see (I didnt open the throttle body) but I'm clueless as to what it is, any ideas? Whats a good cleaner, brake fluid?

I've only owned the car for a couple months so I don't know the maintenance history, it ran perfectly until a starting issue that is unrelated (I assume)

Pics below:

Last edited by jwolfe; 02-15-2019 at 03:43 PM..
Old 02-15-2019, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

At first glance, it looks a little bit like the "milkshake" you get when the head gasket goes and you mix oil and coolant.
Current lineup: 1990 944 S2 Cabriolet - Long term project | 1971 914 - Long term project #2 | 1971 914 - Driver
Old 02-15-2019, 07:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbanks View Post
At first glance, it looks a little bit like the "milkshake" you get when the head gasket goes and you mix oil and coolant.
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2019, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbanks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuyNeil View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking.

after some research it appears a head gasket issue isn't the likely cause. I don't have this same residue in my oil dipstick reservoir, and none of the other common issues (white smoke/overheating etc).

Others who have had this problem said it was a seal at the AOS and/or oil cooler that needed replacing.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfe View Post
Others who have had this problem said it was a seal at the AOS and/or oil cooler that needed replacing.
yep!!!
may not be only seal, but its AOS -
100%
Old 02-17-2019, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfe View Post
after some research it appears a head gasket issue isn't the likely cause. I don't have this same residue in my oil dipstick reservoir, and none of the other common issues (white smoke/overheating etc).

That's better than a head gasket as far as repair cost. I have heard the oil cooler failures meantioned frequently.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
I'm wondering if the oil cooler seals had been replaced at some point, due t failure, but the oil had not been changed quickly enough and as such (due to faulty AOS seals), the crud got into the intake and was never cleaned out. If you currently have a clean dipstick, then the oil cooler seals are probably ok but a thorough rebuild of the throttle body is warranted.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

AOS seals are definitely at fault here. In regards to the the "milkshake" you have going on, its most likely just moisture in the oil that hasn't evaporated. I bet you don't drive this thing much? If that's not the case it may be your oil cooler seals, make sure your oil/coolant are both clear

Last edited by matt1415; 02-18-2019 at 05:23 PM..
Old 02-18-2019, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1415 View Post
AOS seals are definitely at fault here. In regards to the the "milkshake" you have going on, its most likely just moisture in the oil that hasn't evaporated. I bet you don't drive this thing much? If that's not the case it may be your oil cooler seals, make sure your oil/coolant are both clear
I've only owned the car for 3 months and it's the first time i've opened up the J boot. In general I only drive the car 3-4 times a week though. I cleaned it out and will inspect again after a month to see
Old 02-20-2019, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Jwolf...Why don't you give your body throttle a good clean up reinstall it & drive around for a while see what it does .It might be that the probleme is all that was mention above by different persons,but it could also had been cause by the oil cooler giving up at one time or the other & they never took the time to check & clean the body throttle.

83-944 show room -sold___New ride 93-968 with SC steering wheel-ROW signal ligths- Susp M030 mods lowered,Porsche VA springs- Adjustable struts - Bilstein inserts - Bilstein sport rear -LSD -riding on Cup 1 wheels 17x8 frt 17x9.5 rear road contact Falken 452/ 225-45 ZR Front 255-40 ZR Rear -- Motor Mods /chip /K&N / mod air boxe just love the handling & power
Old 02-22-2019, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: