Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest So....how fast are them there P-cars?

You know we have all timed our cars 0-60 and 1/4 mile. So what are the results? Now lets not have any fictional 3 second times, just honest, repeatable results. Lets see who wins!!!

Cyber-racing maybe?? is that a word? or even legal?

And a whole bunch of German scrap metal shaped like 924's.

Old enough to know better, and stupid enough to do it anyway!
Old 03-14-2003, 09:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

I have no idea. All I know is that my 924S is spunkier than my old car.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 03-14-2003, 11:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
previous owner claimed he did 0-60 in 7.6, and dinoed at 163hp. I was skeptical of this at first, but considering that I just discovered that he had installed KONI yellows on the car and i never knew about it, my car might have a few more surprises.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 03-15-2003, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
least common denominator

Talking

The 944 series cars are incredibly slow, they are also, old, unreliable and ridiculously expensive to maintain...
Do yourself a favor and mail your sighed pink slips to,
Scott Buckler
P.O. box 1234
San Pedro, CA.
I will arrange pickup at your convenience.
A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
Old 03-15-2003, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Being given that they are not dragsters and that repair bills can get pretty high, I only made about 4 runs on a G-Tech Pro in order to see what the car was able of.

with these tires:

I changed them later for 245-45ZR16 Kuhmos and I would say that I'm now about second faster on the rare crazy launches.
Old 03-15-2003, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Nice Yan. I did it when I had the CTS kit; 1/4 13.7@109mph running 225/50/15 all round. Never did the 0-60 tho.
Old 03-15-2003, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Non Compos Mentis

I have no idea on 0-60 or 1/4 times. I DO know that at my last track day I walked away from a couple of Muistang Cobras with my little '85NA. Mustangs have to slow down for corners. Can you imagine that?
Old 03-15-2003, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

mark: Wow, 13.7 is pretty impressive. What is a CTS kit and what model is your 944 to run 15" all around? Did you have other modifications?

My only known mod is a shimmed wastegate @ about 14-15 PSI.
Old 03-15-2003, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
CTS was the old Callaway Turbo Systems kit I had on my '86 non-turbo.
Running 15 psi with turbo internals. Had a few more minor mods. But you guys should see the new setup when it's finished. Gonna be a little while tho.
Old 03-15-2003, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
Quote:
Originally posted by Dantilla
I have no idea on 0-60 or 1/4 times. I DO know that at my last track day I walked away from a couple of Muistang Cobras with my little '85NA. Mustangs have to slow down for corners. Can you imagine that?
Umm.. which year Mustang Cobra's?
Old 03-15-2003, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Yan... I love that 0-100 mph video you have....it sits on my desktop...and I show it to all my friends....

Marksportscts.....I emailed you back...... i have what you want ready to go. Just need your address... !!!

Dantilla ???What year cobra as well... I can see how for a few seconds you may have the turn on an older cobra...but any cobra from 2000 on would eat our little NA for a breakfast, lunch and supper.... now the turbo... well thats a different story.....
That 2003 cobra with some exhaust and chip work (minor mod) puts all the numbers wayyyyyyyy over 400hp/400 lbft... a track ready cobra is no laughing matter.

Shameless Plug:
And everyone else if you want Marksportcts old callaway setup + Turbo Pistons + J&S V.01 ultrasafeguard email me...... I am going to be putting it for sale next month as a complete package !!! I am saving for next winters project.......
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 03-15-2003, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

no way on a newer cobra.. early nineties.. yeah sure, my mountain bike handles better than those things do. they have some of em..(over 450 hp's..) with a tom of torque constant throughout the range....no way.. just not possible..
Old 03-15-2003, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Non Compos Mentis

There is a very small track, about 1.2 miles that is part of a local airport. Yeah, the Mustangs have me in the straights, but they added a very tight chicaine 2/3 down the main strait that most were taking at 20-25 mph. I was able, after a few laps, to slide through it at about 40. Just about crapped my pants every time, but did it consistantly. This track is also very hard on brakes. At the driver's meeting, they will always tell you that you can't take every lap all out or you will overheat your brakes. The mustangs would have to brake much earlier than me, and once we got in the twisties, I was hugging their bumper until they let my by on the next strait. I had to wiat for them to let me by, but after I got around them, I was actually pulling from them on every lap. Suprised the snot out of me. I have a stock engine, but the suspension is set up for autocrossing.

If the extra chicaine was not added, it would have been no contest.
Old 03-15-2003, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

O.K. now your speaking English.... Mustangs. all of em... suck as far as handling goes..... thy are dogs in the corner... I hate that car I never liked em... Don't get me started on how much Ihate the mustang.... pooping pony.... ew... a turbo would Dut a cbra even with out the chicane, the cobra's would be o worried about the porsche crawling up their asses that 1/3 of em would wreck due to their ego' not being in check.....a 951 or a 968... would destroy a stock SVT cobra.. it'd be an embarassment for FORD........ I'd lv to see a Boxter chew on the SVT pos's that are being forced down the publics throat......
Old 03-15-2003, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I'm with Frank....
1988 Merkur XR4TI
Old 03-15-2003, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Frank, I may be your hero. Or King Poophead. I barrel rolled one 'stang 6.5 revolutions long. Yep, finally came to a stop on the roof. Walked away from it too. I've got pictures. Not proud of it, but I agree the mustangs have the power to get you into trouble, but not the handling to get you back. That was a long time ago. I was very much a poophead in need of a wake up call. I got it.
The new Cobras with the independent rear I'm sure would be better.
Old 03-15-2003, 07:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
Best times were 5.0 for the turbo and 7.2 for the NA. Repeatable is closer to 5.4 or so for the turbo and 7.7 for the NA.
Ahmet
Old 03-15-2003, 07:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Hey cool Sid!!!
.. I broke 69 Camaro RS in half trying to keep up with a 924 once..I slung it around one corner then oversteered throught the next corner the car grabbed too much then I countersteered right into a HUGE Maple tree Sideways going about 40 MPH.. {{{Crrrraaaakkkk}}}.. I was ejected throigh the passenger window between the tree and the A-pillar.. I landed doing a summersalt, and running forward.. basically I supermanned my self out of the window... I didn't get a scratch on me just a bruise on my left thigh where I snapped off the shifter knov when I was ejected.. I don't really favor the bigger old cars like I used to..... they're dangerous, I've owned quite a few muscle cars in my days.. I can't believe some of the crazy stuff I've done in them.... But I do have to say one thing.. I'd love a 69-70 Superbee... THAT is a Muscle Car.....
Old 03-16-2003, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Sorry I'm so late getting back on this thread, I was on seven ships this weekend. Just like the good old days (pre 9/11).
Y'know, I don't really care how fast a 1/4 mile time my car could do. Straight-line racing doesn't excite me. I joined the PCA so I will have the opportunity to do some track events. Power without handling to match is pointless, at least if you ever plan on turning that steering wheel.
I work with a guy that has a Buick Grand National. It's cool to work with a fellow gearhead, but it's also frustrating. Just speaking for myself, I want my exhilarating driving experiences to last longer than 15 seconds.
That said, rapid acceleration is fun. Especially when that turbo gets spooled up. Sorry for the rant, I just get this every day at work. I'm venting. And I'm wired. Forgive me.

P.S. Frank I think we're close to the same age. When we were in high school, the old muscle cars were just old cars, they weren't classics yet. So we all had them. '69 Camaro, '72 Camaro w/a 396, '69 Mustang, '68 Cougar, '65 Mustang fastback, and a GTX that never ran was in my crew. God every kid should grow up like that. Yeah most of the guys had mullets. I never heard the GTX run. Ever. See above paragraph for apology for the rant. I am REALLY wired.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
in high school, i worked as a union grocery store employee,making lots more than most , and the older guys bought the best, and would do burn outs in front of the store when they were upset with the manager of the store. these displays of anger were viewed by all the checkers and sackers thru the large plate glass windows across the front of the store. the offending vehicles were a 1969 black/black convetible 440 gtx auto on polyglass tires, a 1967 black/black 396 chevelle convert, auto, a 1962 4 door chevy (rear doors glassed, dingo balls)327, 3spd, a1956 olds 4dr, something good under the hood, chromies, and a 1970 340 dart swinger on polyglass. good thing my schedule was always the same....3 to 11 after school...i just don't think the nonsyncro 36hp oval window could have taken the beating.......guess i could have honked..............and I had the pretty "older" girl!!

Old 03-17-2003, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: