Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to pearldrum
Porsche Crest it WAS running...

Finally got everything put back together. It was great, the engine was a lot more quiet and running strong. Got about a mile and a half from my house and it started knocking really bad and really loud. From what I can tell it is coming from inside the engine. The only thing I can think of it being is that last cylinder that we had trouble with. My dad is going to listen to it tomorrow and see what he thinks....

This sucks...I was so happy, only to be shot down and rejected...
Old 03-16-2003, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Sorry to hear that. Good luck

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 03-16-2003, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Trevor
Bummer. :-( I'd check and see if the plug is fouled where you had the gouged cylinder wall to see if you're getting oil seapage.
2001 Taurus noooooooooooooo!
1993 325is
Old 03-16-2003, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to overkill
Did you replace the whole engine? I know you had to have got a new head but what about the block? If you didnt replace the block I would check the last cylinder seeing that it was gouged. As trevor said
Old 03-16-2003, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

We just replcaced the head, and the cylinder wall was fine...and from what we were thinking is that maybe the oil was just seaping because there wasn't any pressure. When the cylinder is under compression it probably wouldn't go through...
Old 03-17-2003, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
knocking really bad and really loud.
Was it a low or high kncking sound? If low, I would think it's the con-rod bearing.

My Gaming Forums. Xbox360gen.com
Old 03-17-2003, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
we were thinking is that maybe the oil was just seaping because there wasn't any pressure.
Dude, you had no oil pressure? You should have plenty of oil pressure with just a few cranks of the engine using the starter. I hope you werent running the car without oil pressure.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I don't know. I need to listen to it again, but it seems to be in the middle, not really high or low pitched...I think my dad stopped by today to listen to it, I'll talk to him later and see what he thinks...
Old 03-17-2003, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Power steering? who needs it!
ROFL! When I had my 83 944, I had no power steering too. I want to take it out in my 88. It only will give more troubles.

My Gaming Forums. Xbox360gen.com
Old 03-17-2003, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

sorry...No oil pressure when we had the head off and hand-turned the crank to see if the cylinder was scratched. Anyway, yeah My dad says it sounds like something with the piston. At the end of this week or next week we're going to take it back to my dad's shop, take the head back off, support the engine and pull off the oil-pan.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

There isn't gonna be any oil pressure cranking it over by hand.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

yeah...that's what I was saying, that the oil might have been streaking because there wasn't any pressure...
Old 03-18-2003, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Ummm, no. Dude more oil pressure means more streaking. Your getting streaks because the oil is passing through the oil ring. Where the valve slice into your cylinder wall,... it might of damgage your rings for that cylinder. That could be the knocking noise? My the piston is knocking again the cylinder wall, i dont know. Some oil should make it's way past the rings but very little. The streaks should be some what even to. You have a line of oil right where the valve sliced into the wall.
Old 03-18-2003, 08:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

The valve didn't hit the wall... yeah, but we were also thinking that maybe when there is compression in the cylinder it would keep the oil down. I don't know...It doesn't matter anymore. I'm just trying to go from what someone else was saying, but looks like we'll be pulling that piston anyway. that's what we were worrying about at first, the rings, but we tried anyway... I see what you are saying now though...
Old 03-18-2003, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Dude, when the piston moves down is when the oil is left behind on the walls. The oil ring is suppose to pull the oil back down into the oil pan. Compression will not keep the oil out of the cylinder. I saw in one of your pictures that the face of the valve cut into the very top of the cylinder. Maybe I didnt see it right. Take pictures of the rings when you get them out.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Yeah, I knew that about the rings, but I was just going by what I heard it might do with the compression. Oh well...thanks for clarifying that. Anyway, yeah I'll take pictures. The valve sliced into the head. It went right where it was supposed to, just sideways...
Old 03-18-2003, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Do you have those pictures? I can't seem to find them?
Old 03-18-2003, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Nevermind I found them,... yeah your right the valve cut into the crown of the piston. We'll see,... best of luck.
Old 03-18-2003, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

With that kind of hit, it probably bent the rod or cracked the rod bearing.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: