Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Today I replaced my ugly rotor and dizzy cap and still no start. New plugs have fuel on them and after charging battery I am reading 12 volts at coil. When I hook up the #1 plug wire directly to the coil I get great spark. I then hooked coil wire back up and tested for spark off #1 plug and got shocked holding the plug wire trying to to ground it to the engine and get spark. Never saw the plug spark but I got jolted. Could I have bad enough plug wire(s) to be creating a short?
Old 05-02-2019, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Alright! You’ve got spark! Now charge up that battery!
I replaced dizzy cap and rotor and coil cause good spark to plug when I hook #1 spark plug and wire directly to coil. But, once I put all wires back in place, I don't receive a spark at the plug?? So I know coil puts out signal to dizzy cap, but energy does not reach plugs?? I did get quite the shock handling the #1 plug wire searching for a good ground to try to get a spark.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Is the distributor rotor turning? Hard to imagine you have spark at the coil but not at the plugs unless the cam belt is gone and the rotor is not turning. Plug wires are usually OK if the OEM type.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wool007 View Post
I am in sc
Sorry I am not closer to you.

Did you say you have an alarm system installed?
If "Yes" then, please post a picture of the alarm system AND the engine compartment.
Most "Factory" alarm systems have a sensor plug located near the Electrical Fuse Box in the engine compartment. The alarm sensor plug is activated when the hood is open and this "sensor" is attached to a bracket inside the engine compartment.

ALSO, now that you know you have a tach bounce AND you have spark try this:

Spray some starter fluid into the intake and try cranking the starter. If the car runs for a small amount of time (about 30 seconds or less) then your electrical system is working fine.
IF NOT, then I would suspect the DME/ECU brain is non-functional.

Good luck, and let us know how this test goes for you.
1987 944 Manual (Donated to the Nat. Kidney Foundation)
1987 944 Automatic (Recently sold to another Pelican)
Old 05-15-2019, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
In the Fires of Hell.....

Garage
Sounds like a rotor/distributor issue, assuming that compression is there.
1987 944S - Restored salvage title, ready to live again
Old 05-15-2019, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: