Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to fty
Angry Extremely Bad News@!!!

Person was driving with suspended liscense....
If any of you are familiar with dead mans curve oin the Belt parky way, the sharp bend near exit 21...well anyways....Guy was intox, going to fast collides with overpass and spins into road, has sand and glass in eyes and is walking in front of car, its 3am and Im comin home, its dark very dark, I see a white car and him crawling around, I slam on the brakes...tiores melting away, i see a front end collision comin on hardcore, so i get off the brakes, rip it hard to the left and to the right missing the TWO people and clipping the front end of his car with the rear passanger side of my car....He went away in an ambulance and hes getting arrested...below are some pics...

The big question is..his insurance company should pay for all repair costs correct, the cops wrote the accident report as he was traveling to fast and that I came around abliong corner and tried to avoid teh accident and stuck his car when my car slide out trying to avoid him and the car, he was also arrested for driving on a susupended liscense.... -why me....-chris
Old 03-18-2003, 03:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

*blind corner, the report was written in my favor totally, I also have a cop as a witness....Im exhuasted and extremely pissed...help..
Old 03-18-2003, 03:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hey fty, hope you are alright. I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune, just when least expect it, something like this happens. I hope it all gets sorted out at this idiots' cost. I'm not familiar with the American system, so I can;t advice you on this one.
Be thankful that you walked away in one piece.

http://www.p-caronline.com/directory/coupe

Porsche 944 Turbo, 1986
Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo, 1997
Old 03-18-2003, 03:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the kind words..this is my first accident ever..still a bit shookup and extremely pissed....-chris
Old 03-18-2003, 03:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

dunno, but I think New York laws may say that driver must be control of the vehicle at all times (anticipating the unexpected). I’ve heard of people in cases like this not collect full cost/damages because of ‘contributing negligence’.

Hope it goes your way though. But on the other hand it could have been much worse. All us Long Islanders know that ramp is deadly!

Early '85 944
Old 03-18-2003, 03:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to stray15
If it was written up as his fault then his insurance should be paying for all of your damages and injuries. If worse comes to worse, get a lawyer and go after his insurance company. You are a cop so you already have an upper hand.

Good luck Chris, sorry to hear about it. Are you hurt at all?
Old 03-18-2003, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

His insurance will only cover 85% and lay 15% blame on you for not having control of your car. This would be the best you can hope for.

Worse case would be that you hit his car and his insurance will not pay anything. It doen't much matter what the police report says, insurance companies have thier own way of thinking and not what a normal person will full mental capabilities and sound logic thinks.

You can also contact the NY state insurance board and file a complaint after the insurance company gives you the bad news.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
Wow... I hope you are ok.

In the end... just remember its just a car. They are replaceable you are not.

Well he was driving suspended, intoxicated etc... yah you'll be fine.

Assuming he has insurance?
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 03-18-2003, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I hate to be the bearer of bad new, but if he didn't have a license, are you sure that he even had insurance? Is New York a "No Fault" state? If he doesn't have insurance, your insurance should cover it - they should be the ones to sue his ass - not you.

Sorry about the trauma, glad you're ok, glad it wasn't the P-car.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

Put on your best negotiators hat on when you talk to his insurance, and TAKE NOTES!! Be very proffessional, and anticipate their every move, and have a response prepared. If you are getting no where on your own, the insurance company will wake up real quickly if they get a call from an attorney representing you. If you need an attorney, it will be the "cheapest" couple hundred dollars you spent for the results.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

All i have is liability and i think new york is a no fualt
Old 03-18-2003, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Thanks to your evasive driving maneuver that suspended SOB is alive. Too bad he did not get plastered against the wall. Soon he will be out doing it again. I am very familiar with that bend and the area...you cannot be too careful there!
Old 03-18-2003, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Man that sucks. Having liability only is like having no insurance at all.

You might be screwed on this one bro.
Old 03-18-2003, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
I'm only basing this on what you've written but good job avoiding a bigger accident.

However one could also say you were travelling too fast for the conditions...

Good luck w/the insurance company and glad you were OK.
Ahmet
Old 03-18-2003, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

The thing is I would have if I had left the car LOcked up...slammed into my own(off duty NYPD) pullin this scumbag from the road and had a nasty frontend impact....this is my first accident and hopefully my last....I have that cop as a witness to the guys poor driving and the guy did get locked up for a suspended liscense, I checked up this morning and he got processed and is sitting in a cell as we speak...either the insurance company will be sued or he will be sued either way Im not paying for this crap...-chris
Old 03-18-2003, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
white wheels?

seriously, glad you're okay, hope it works out.

Old 03-18-2003, 08:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Chris, glad your ok,sorry about the car,call a lawyer or your ins. company,and ask them. It might bring good news.
928 OC member
PCA member
Old 03-18-2003, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Trevor
Car looks like it might be totaled based on it's age. Your car had rear disc brakes? Cool. This is a pic of my Jetta, what it doesn't show is the slightly bent roof and trunk that won't close. It doesn't even look that bad, but once they started measuring stuff they said the whole car was "bent." Hope it comes out well.
My encounter with a drunk driver:
2001 Taurus noooooooooooooo!
1993 325is
Old 03-18-2003, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to overkill
Quote:
Originally posted by SidVicious
Man that sucks. Having liability only is like having no insurance at all.

You might be screwed on this one bro.

Your ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!! The way I see it,... if your car is of great value, as in money, and it gets into an accident and is totalled, then go to your insurance agency for your money. That is if you have full coverage. Your car does have a good amount of damage to the rear but if the whole insurance bit of this doesnt go the way you want it,... your rates are gonna go up. You have to ask yourself is it worth it, the higer rates that is. I might be a good idea to just suck it up and fix it yourself. But, then you never know,... it might be worth your while to ask around and see if someone other than your insurance pays for it. Just be careful, if your insurance agent finds out they might want more money. I am shooting more towards that so I would just take care of it yourself. But then, it's your car. You dont want to get scewed a second time Becareful. OH, and about the liability thing above,... if you car is really worth anything liability is the way to go. So many people report the stupidest **** to their insurance agencies. Thats why I have to pay SOOOO much to drive ANYTHING!!! I got 1 speeding ticket a couple years ago,... in VIRGINA!!! I am also accident free BUT,... I'm the one that has to pay out of the ASS!!!
Old 03-18-2003, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Overkill what are you thinking? That hit is not a cheap fix, no way Chris should pay out of pocket on that one. BTW, liability isn't the way to go. Even if your car is only a few thousand, it's stolen, then it's gone, you pay out of pocket to replace it. Chris's car looks like it's worth more than $4,500, I'd hate to "suck it up and pay out of pocket".
Old 03-18-2003, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: