Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

what parts? 944, game on!

Hey all, well, i'm getting very close to pulling the trigger on that cheap 83 944. many thanks to all of you who replied to my last post. I really do appreciate it.
Well here is the deal.
As you may recall, the timing belt went out this car while it was in the driveway. I have located 2 possible replacement heads for very little money. one of them was just milled and has been ported/polished w/ valvegrind. so that's the route i'm leaning, just cause i can.
well, i need to figure out all the parts i need and where to order them from, here is my list so far, and please tell me if i'm missing something.
waterpump, belts & roller kit, head gaskets, my buddy says to also get exhaust manifold gaskets or bolts ? not sure why though.
Is Vertex alright for 944 parts?
any help appreciated thx Kyle.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
least common denominator

Porsche Crest

Well I hate to point out the obvious (NOT)
Have you checked here at Pelican? (maybe you just droped into the BBS and are not aware they {Pelican} are a parts supplier)
Do a search here on Vertex I think some of the folks here were not happy with the service they got.

Good luck
Old 03-18-2003, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

you are completely right Scott. what i really is a list of parts that i might need? i've never owned a 944 before, yet alone replaced the head on one. sorry for the confusion. Kyle.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
least common denominator

Porsche Crest

Fortunately I have not had to do any repairs to the engine (cross fingers, and toes, knock on wood, rubbing rabbits foot)
Unfortunately I'm not a mechanic so when I take my car in for service in the next month or two I expect to shell out major dough for some of those parts. {Yeah, I'm paying a mechanic to work on my car - I know - I am big lazy wussy mama's boy poopy head}

Anyway if we can get the attention of some of the wrench heads around here, (many have done the job you are preparing for) they should be able to give you a heads up on the parts list.
Old 03-18-2003, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Talking

Get the Head Set , this will include all the gaskets you will need including exhaust and intake. Around $75 - $100
It's a good Idea to get exhaust nuts, more than likley you will round off one or two during the removal. $6.00 (*****************)
You will also want to get the fuel injector seal kit, may not be neccassary but will save you grief if they get damaged during removal.

Personally I have not had a bad experience with Vertex.
Most of my parts came from pelican.

Not sure what your technical background is but How about a shop manual?.....Trust me!

See Ya!
Old 03-18-2003, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Go the easy way, buy a kit for changing out the head. It has everything, including intake and exhaust gaskets.

I have tons of spare parts, let me know what you need.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
since the belts went on this car.....

- get the headgasket set
- new rollers, idlers, tensioners
- new water pump

good luck
www.edmontonrealestate.ws
Old 03-18-2003, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Parts list

Get a new thermostat along with new seals for the water pump.

Get the Power steering and A/C belts, do them all along with the timing and balance shaft belts.

Get all new from end seals.

Good luck

http://www.p-caronline.com/directory/coupe

Porsche 944 Turbo, 1986
Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo, 1997
Old 03-18-2003, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to overkill
Valves, guides, and stem seals. Just to bring it to your attention, springs are expensive so whether you replace them is totally up to you, If one or more of your springs are damaged they might break and you'll end up in pearldrum's shoes or back to square one. Also, check you oil cooler and make sure it is leak free. It is alot easier to get to once the head is off.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Assuming the head has already been rebuilt:

definately get the headgasket set - when installing it, make sure OBEN is facing up.

New pump, thermostat

Rollers as needed - you can spin them and feel if they need replacing or not. If they are iffy - replace.

You may or may not consider replacing the front seals on the car - by the time you are replacing the waterpump, you are "right there" for all of them. It adds an hour or so to the job.

When installing - like the 911, nothing is torqued down by a gorilla.

Vertex - had mixed success with them myself.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 03-19-2003, 01:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Dont forget to get a water pump gasket.. Doh.

88 924S Guards/ Black ~ 10 years as a Daily Driver and STILL SMILING!
87 NA Diamond Blue Metallic ~ Gone
Old 03-20-2003, 03:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
While you're in there it's a real good idea to replce the oil cooler seals. They're cheap (around $25) and it will be be a real easy job with the head out. If you don't change them they will leak sooner or later.

My P-car Online Profile
Old 03-20-2003, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: