Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to richarddspano
944 1984 just dies...!

I have a '84 944 non-turbo. It will usually start nicely and smoothly first thing, and run like a top, and suddenly, without any warning, instrumentation or otherwise- just die. Electrics stay on, but leaving it in gear if I was moving doesn't kick it back over. Then it will usually NOT re-start, and seems to flood easily. If I let it sit for 20-30 minutes, it will usually start back up, but belch white smoke, and run VERY roughly.
Is this a common occurance, and do you have any advice?
I already replaced all plugs, wiring, dist and rotor and fuel filter.
any advice would be helpful
Richard
Old 03-18-2003, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Compression and leakdown test! White smoke might mean coolant is entering the cylinders. Possibly a bad head gasket.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 03-18-2003, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I am interested to find out if your problem has been sorted out.My 944 has a similar problem on accellerating from take-off and some-times when slowing to a halt.The agents replaced my fuel pump (it had just had a major service and fuel filter,plugs etc changed.I also replaced my HT leads and cleaned female connector in distributor with silicone spray)).It is almost as if the key was switched off and on a couple of times, then it catches on ok as revs increase.Agents suggested replacing o2 sensor next.I have disconnected sensor plug connectors, dug out bits of broken bakelite and bent the copper female connector contact in to make better contact,and sprayed these with silicone moisture repellant.So far the problem has not reappeared for 2 weeks but I still need to go for a long ride.
Old 04-12-2003, 03:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

A bad o2 sensor?...I'm not sure it would behave just "as if the key was switched off".

But I bet if your reference sensor had a poor connection you could experience a momentary loss of spark...and it sounds like you cleaned it up a bit. Naaaa...nobody is that lucky - are they?

Durban is a bit like like Malibu...does the 944 get much salt spray?

(btw...my wife ran about 60k of the comrades a couple of years ago...the one when that young policemen collapsed...sad)

Early '85 944
Old 04-12-2003, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Tom,
I do not know which reference senor you are talking about. There is the air flow sensor with its own temp sensor, a seperate temp sensor on the manifold,the throttle position sensor and the o2 sensor. I cleaned up the plug connectors at the air flow sensor and the two at the rear of the engine on the engine bracket and near the firewall.
BTW, I live in Amanzimtoti, "Zulu for sweet waters" 25 km S of Durban and right on the coast (1/2 km from the sea). My car sits in the garage overnight, and only gets washed every second week or so, and the previous owner lived in Pinetown on the Comrades route,30km inland from Durban. There is not a spot of rust although salt spray does occassionally find its way on the car. What I am careful to do is to wash inside the wheel arches when ever I wash the car.My biggest concern is the wankers that open their car doors on my car whenever I go shopping (this is my main transport which I alternate with my bike when dry)
That comrades is a tough run,I did the Dusi canoe marathon from Pietermaritzburg, which is 150km over 3 days,but that was college days 26 years ago.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hi Paul,

Yes...that what I meant...the 2 sensors near at the back of the engine on the 'bell housing behind the oil filler tube. The one towards the front is the 'reference sensor' and tells the computer when to start the spark (and other timing) sequence. The one sharing the same bracket holder is the 'speed sensor’, which if the engine RPM falls below 200...will shut off the fuel. Those wires up to another bracket and there are 2 male/female connectors. I thought these were the ones you cleaned and it sounds like you did. If you can find "Permatex" brand 'dielectric tune-up' grease at an auto supplies shop, it does a better job than the spray you used and last a very long time. So you could've fixed it. Time will tell.

My wife spends a lot of time in a suburb of Jo'burg working for Seimens. She just called me here and I told her I was writing to someone in Amanzimtoti. She corrected my pronunciation of course. Good grief!…the Comrades I think is about a 90k run…the Dusi canoe marathon 150k…these are ultra-marathons.! I think Dawn (spouse) was about 38 when she ran Comrades. Can’t remember which direction that year…uphill to Pietermaritzburg or downhill to Durban.

Let us know if the problem returns.

Early '85 944
Old 04-14-2003, 03:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

'cept that Paul says he has it "on accellerating" too.

Early '85 944
Old 04-14-2003, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks guys,did an autocross with the porsche club here this Sunday and the car was pushed quite hard on a very tight track slightly larger than a go-cart track, going full revs in second down to almost standstill for hairpins and it did not jerk once,so hopefully all is sorted out.
By the way, my R/H door lever has packed up. The agent tells me that the L/H lever can be swapped around with the R/H by knocking the pin out for the opening lever mechanism (where plastic linkage connects) and moving it to the other side of the handle support mechanism. It will work as I have already stripped the handle to check. My explanation is probably as clear as mud,but what has happened on my handle is the support where the pin presses through has broken.What im saying is handles are interchangeable.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Well maybe you are lucky ! Good news.

Now the door handles?

Try starting a new thead wheneven the answers stop coming.

The subject 'door handle problems' is bound to get answered by someone who just went through this...

btw check out:

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/body-12.htm

for help changing door handles

Early '85 944
Old 04-15-2003, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: