Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Lifter tick? Car has been sitting for a 9-10 months

Hey guys,
just wondering if anyone can recognize this sound....

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwnLN_GlBNB/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=p80fd77m9fav

The car has been sitting for around 9-10 months. It did not sound like this before. Any ideas? I used some googlefu and amateur audio diagnostics via youtube and have hypothesized that it is lifter tick, caused by a leakdown of oil in the lifters. Should I be worried? Does anyone know how to remedy this situation? I really dont want to rebuild the engine... it only has 3 engine hours after a swap made by midwest eurosport a few years ago.

Moral of the story: if you own a porsche just drive the damn thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2019, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippo View Post
Hey guys,
just wondering if anyone can recognize this sound....

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwnLN_GlBNB/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=p80fd77m9fav

The car has been sitting for around 9-10 months. It did not sound like this before. Any ideas? I used some googlefu and amateur audio diagnostics via youtube and have hypothesized that it is lifter tick, caused by a leakdown of oil in the lifters. Should I be worried? Does anyone know how to remedy this situation? I really dont want to rebuild the engine... it only has 3 engine hours after a swap made by midwest eurosport a few years ago.

Moral of the story: if you own a porsche just drive the damn thing.

it only has 3 engine hours after a swap made by midwest eurosport a few years ago.

This would concern me as they are the ones that did the swap....they couldn't tell it was knocking...I'm sure they started it before giving it back to you...Was it running like a champ when they gave it back to you? Have you had the car sitting for 9-10 months straight?....IMHO a car sitting up not being started or being looked after is one of the worst things you can do to it....I have parts that I've bought brand new (LED DRLs) and came back to them three years later (only sitting on the shelf or in a draw) hooked them up and they are not working correctly...(pictures posted on Pelican - "Bumper Lights") and if this is the case you might end up paying for a rebuild or another engine swap! I know this is tough news but just about all of us I/we here on Pelican have been through what you are going through...get a second and a third opinion just as you would if your real baby or pet was sick. Lol! Maybe it might not be as bad as you think.

Last edited by PHillary; 04-23-2019 at 01:27 PM..
Old 04-23-2019, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Lifter tick? Car has been sitting for a 9-10 months

Yeah.. I did the swap in 2016 and Iíve only driven it/started it a handful of times until the battery died and I was too lazy to get a new one. Itís always been very smooth even after the swap so I donít think it has to do with their work... which leads me to believe it might just be lack of oil in some parts? maybe lifters?

I had an engine clock installed after the swap so I know it only has 3 hours on it.

It hasnít been started in the past 9-10 months at all, but started right up first try today. albeit with tapping

Last edited by Hippo; 04-23-2019 at 02:11 PM..
Old 04-23-2019, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Just let it run. The lifter went dry. It should quiet down shortly.

Last edited by Ga 951; 04-23-2019 at 06:16 PM..
Old 04-23-2019, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Agreed, run the engine, lifters usually will quiet down in 5-30 minutes.
Sometimes you have to drive it for a while to quiet down the stubborn one!
Old 04-23-2019, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

So there are 2 solutions here; the easiest one which usually takes care of the problem which everyone has pretty much already mentioned is run the car. Usually the lifters manage to re-prime eventually this way.

Alternatively, you can pull the cam tower and with a vacuum pump, glass mason jar filled with motor oil and appropriate fittings on the tin lid you can manually prime the lifters one by one. Once the air bubbles stop appearing in the oil you know that lifter is ready and its time to move to the next.

Around the 4:30 mark in this video you can see a demo by Van who uses the above method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GWBrsGTR2s
Old 04-23-2019, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

thanks for the advice!! Itís a relief to hear that its just the lifters like I suspected. I might try priming the lifters manually if its not too much work. seems like a relatively straightforward job Thank you all!

Old 04-23-2019, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: