Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Porsche Crest Budget Suspension

Hey everyone!

I am 18 years old and have been working on a project 944 for the past year or so. I bought the car to daily with the occasional autocross every month or so. I've been all over the forums and there seems to be quite a bit of controversy regarding how to go about stiffening up the car via Konis, coil-overs, lowering-springs with stiffer strut cartridges, etc. I am trying to stay on a budget (about $1000) and was wondering what would be the best choice. Also, this car is going to be my daily for college next year so something with adjustable dampening and/or a ride which won't leave you apologizing to your car after being on a rough road would be a plus.

Thanks for your time,

Ben K.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Not controversy, just many ways to skin a cat. What year is your car, what kind of 944 and do you know what suspension is currently fitted? Your options change slightly if is '87 or newer due to differences made when ABS became an option.

If you're after a quick fix, you can find good secondhand suspension parts from 944 Turbo, 944S2 and 968.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Misunderstood User

Garage
If you have an N/A, get a pair of 951 sway bars and new bushings. You can find them used. Pass on the coil overs - a set on Koni adjustable will do just fine. And if you have extra money - you could get a pair of Weltmeister springs but you will need an alignment. You could also lower the rear ( I would do it the same time if/when you change the front springs).

And of course a good handling car needs brakes and tires.there are brakes and tires.

This is assuming your front bushings, top mounts and ball joints are in good shape.

1983 944n/a
2003 Mercedes CLK 500 - totaled. Sanwiched on the Kennedy Expressway
Old 04-29-2019, 03:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1NX3D View Post
Not controversy, just many ways to skin a cat. What year is your car, what kind of 944 and do you know what suspension is currently fitted? Your options change slightly if is '87 or newer due to differences made when ABS became an option.

If you're after a quick fix, you can find good secondhand suspension parts from 944 Turbo, 944S2 and 968.

It's a 88 N/A 944. Thanks for your reply!

Sent from my LGUS997 using Pelican Parts Forums
Old 04-29-2019, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcommin View Post
If you have an N/A, get a pair of 951 sway bars and new bushings.  You can find them used.  Pass on the coil overs - a set on Koni adjustable will do just fine.  And if you have extra money - you could get a pair of Weltmeister  springs but you will need an alignment.  You could also lower the rear ( I would do it the same time if/when you change the front springs). 

And of course  a good handling car needs brakes and tires.there are brakes and tires.

This is assuming your front bushings, top mounts and ball joints are in good shape.

Great thanks for the advice. For the back, would you recommend I purchase the 30mm torsion bar or just reindex the one I have in combination with higher dampening from the koni adjustables?

Old 04-29-2019, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
No need to re-index the torsion bars, unless you want to go very low (not recommended for ride quality). You can lower the rear enough using the adjustment system provided by the factory.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theer View Post
No need to re-index the torsion bars, unless you want to go very low (not recommended for ride quality).  You can lower the rear enough using the adjustment system provided by the factory.

Would that be the eccentric bolt? Thanks for the reply!

Old 04-29-2019, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Check out the 944 classifieds here on pelican.I just bumped my 951 sway bars towards the top.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by benkopiec View Post

Would that be the eccentric bolt? Thanks for the reply!

Yes, exactly.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

The plot thickens... I took off my front wheel to see the diameter of what I thought were Bilstein struts turned out to be the 474 koni adjustables! They felt super squishy because they were in the softest setting. Now all I need to do is purchase the back koni shocks, some new bumper stops, and mess around with the eccentric bolt and I think we are gonna be in business!

Old 04-29-2019, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga 951 View Post
Check out the 944 classifieds here on pelican.I just bumped my 951 sway bars towards the top.

I'll give them a look. What diameter are the 951 sway bars?

Old 04-29-2019, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

front 25.5mm rear 18mm
Old 04-30-2019, 02:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
944 , autocross , coil over , porsche , suspension