Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via Yahoo to neildeshpande
<944> R&R Quarter Window Glass

Gruppe:

I will be removing and replacing the quarter window glass on the passenger side on my 87 944. Any pointers on how to do it from those who have done it/seen it before? Thanks in advance!

Neil Deshpande
Old 03-19-2003, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Rennlist Member :)

I really reccomend having a helper for this to catch the window as you push it out, and to push the window in as you pull the rope.

Also always make the first out, last in corner be the top back one as it's the easiest.

To remove just pull back the rubber while pushing on the window (firmly, but don't break the glass). I used a screwdriver to help this, but as an afterthought a slip could cause a broken window, so maybe an ice scraper would be a better idea.

To put it back in use the rope as FR described and just run it through the gap in the rubber as someone pushes the window in.

The whole process is so easy you'll be kinda surprised when you're done. Hardest part is getting it started/finished, but it's really not all that bad.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Gruppe:

I ordered the glass from <http://www.partsheaven.com> today for $20. I'll post my experience when I get the pane. Thanks for the detailed and prompt pointers.

Neil Deshpande
Old 03-20-2003, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Gruppe:

I got the quarter window glass on Thursday (ordered on Mon from Parts Heaven) and installed it today. Took me about 30 mins to get it done with the trim under the rubber gasket as the interior headliner kept slipping out from under the gasket. Had to repeat 3 times.

Tips (including those learnt here and confirmed):
1. Start at forward lower corner and have the rope ends sticking out about 1/2" away from this corner so you can ram the corner into the car nicely.

2. End at forward upper corner. Here you can pull hard on both ends of the rope (it will be out everywhere else) to pull the corner in.

3. Use 3/8" rope. Wrap around gasket in the channel leaving ends sticking out about 1/2" from forward lower corner and bring those ends inside the car.

4. Perhaps tape the headliner/trim to the window seam to keep it in place.

5. Two people are needed to make it work well. Second mainly to hold the glass.

6. Once the glass in held in place, start pulling the rope out and easing the gasket in place.

Easy! Many thanks to this board again!

Neil Deshpande
Old 03-29-2003, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Took my 944 to the glassiers to get those windows out, the guy bashed it with his fist, and it took him 30 seconds and both were out. I was genuinely shocked at the brutality! :O
Old 04-24-2003, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Good ideas here. I'm going to have to do it again within the next couple of days.

When I tried it previously, one piece of rope was futile. Instead, I cut the rope in 4 small sections with each one at each corner. I then pulled each corner in and then used a flat head screwdriver to pull the middle (e.g. easy) parts in.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: