Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

88 944 engine in 84 944

Will a 88 944 engine work in a 84 944? I know the ECU will need to be from an 88 944. Will the tachometer, speedometer, etc work with the 88 harness or will it need modified? I guess my question should be, will it be plug and play?

Old 05-13-2019, 09:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
In the Fires of Hell.....

Garage
Modifications are needed.
I can fix your late 944 Cruise Control module - PM for details
Old 05-14-2019, 04:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdjones2000 View Post
Modifications are needed.
What will need to be modified? Thank you for your time.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
In the Fires of Hell.....

Garage
Unless you swap out the engine wiring harness, you will need to change the connector between the DME and the dashboard. The early cars have a rectangular connector, while your '88 harness has a blade-like connector. It's an 8-pin connector I think - not that hard to change if you are so inclined.

There may be another connector that is different in the engine compartment up near the top of the firewall as well. Earlies have a white ~12 wire connector near the brake booster, while late ones have a different connector under some cover farther to the driver's side.

You can take your early harness and put it on your late engine, but you will lose the oil level sensor, and maybe have issues with the 1 wire vs. 3 wire oxygen sensor. I don't know when that changeover was done.
I can fix your late 944 Cruise Control module - PM for details
Old 05-14-2019, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdjones2000 View Post
Unless you swap out the engine wiring harness, you will need to change the connector between the DME and the dashboard. The early cars have a rectangular connector, while your '88 harness has a blade-like connector. It's an 8-pin connector I think - not that hard to change if you are so inclined.

There may be another connector that is different in the engine compartment up near the top of the firewall as well. Earlies have a white ~12 wire connector near the brake booster, while late ones have a different connector under some cover farther to the driver's side.

You can take your early harness and put it on your late engine, but you will lose the oil level sensor, and maybe have issues with the 1 wire vs. 3 wire oxygen sensor. I don't know when that changeover was done.
Okay thank you for the information. Sounds like it won't be too difficult to make it work. I will have the 88 harness with the engine.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I have an early motor in a late car, so the other way around from yours.

There's also a temperature sensor on the block (coolant?), under the intake, which is different: early is single wire, late is a two-wire connector. They are NOT interchangeable - the hole in the block is a different size.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: