Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1984 944 no start

I bought a 1984 944 that had sat for 10 years. I drained the gas and replaced the fuel filter. It cranks over but will not start. I have no spark and the tach does not move when I crank the engine over. I pulled the dist. cap, rotor is in place and tight. I have some fuel in the fuel rail. With the end cap off it shoots gas out when I crank it over. The wires look good and I replaced the plugs. Thanks

Old 05-22-2019, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Kept checking things over and I think I found a bad reference sender. The speed sensor Ohms was 1100 and the reference sender was zero. I ordered a new sensor. Is there any hints about installing the new one?
Old 05-22-2019, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Check out Clark’s Garage for clear instructions on how to install the reference sensors. (and lots of other things!).

The sensor spacing is key.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I replaced the reference sensor and now the car fires while I turn it over but will not stay running. If I press on the gas or release the key the car stops firing. I also have no movement of the tach needle while cranking. I replaced the cap, rotor and plugs, no help.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Got it. I pulled the plugs and noticed that only one looked like it fired. So I suspected plugged injectors. I thought about pulling the fuel rail and injectors but before I did that I tapped on the injectors and that freed them up. Car runs great now. Thanks everyone.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson63 View Post
Got it. I pulled the plugs and noticed that only one looked like it fired. So I suspected plugged injectors. I thought about pulling the fuel rail and injectors but before I did that I tapped on the injectors and that freed them up. Car runs great now. Thanks everyone.
To keep the injectors from trying to stick again, in your first three or four tanks of gas, add a bottle of Chevron Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner. It is the best additive for this purpose and will continue to clean the varnish out of the injectors as you drive as well as your valves and combustion chambers.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: