Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to gearhead290
Angry I Hate My Car!

I've had it back for less then two weeks, low and behold it breaks...again. This time I took out the valvetrain (that's what my dad said anyways), it started doing it on the interstate and I was in the middle of nowhere so I just kept on driving, inexperienced and I kinda panicked. I think the cause is that I ran it too low on oil, but this oil change only had 1000k on it and I never would have dremt I would burn 4 quarts of oil in 1000k. Any advice on fixing it?
Old 03-20-2003, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to stray15
whats its doing?
Old 03-20-2003, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

How does one take out the valve train - except by breaking a belt (or breaking a valve...)

running it without oil - you have bigger problems than a trashed valve train - like burned rings, spun bearings, scored cylinders etc...

What happened, walk us through your problem -= symptoms, etc. What were your gauges reading?

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 03-20-2003, 03:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pearldrum
Porsche Crest

Trust me, I know how you feel, i finally got my car running. Then drove for 20 minutes and heard knocking, it was a major let down...
Old 03-20-2003, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hmmm, I think it has something to do w/ the 3rd gear "chirp". JK
Old 03-20-2003, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Nabeel
Quote:
I Hate My Car!
I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

j/k
76K miles
color-matched fuchs

SOLD
Old 03-20-2003, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I was just driving and it started making the sound a lifter does, but it was A LOT louder. When my dad (a mechanic) got home he said it sounded like the valvetrain was out. Any way you look at it I don't have the cash to fix it because of the whole tranny thing.
Old 03-20-2003, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Take any hard croners with a suspected low oil condition? If so you may as well pull the motor since the #2 rod bearing is probably gone.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 03-20-2003, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
If runing the engine with very low oil and all those bearings, valves etc sounds, sounds like a top and bottom engine job. I would just buy a used engine. Save $$ and time.

My Gaming Forums. Xbox360gen.com
Old 03-20-2003, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Maybe the "chirp" in third gear was actually the squeal of metal-on-metal in the engine due to low oil. This is why children should not play with men's toys.

"ABUSE IT AND LOSE IT!!!"

Even professional racers, with their equipment maxed out for strength, power, and durability don't abuse their vehicles until after the race - and even then, only when they do victory donuts.
Old 03-21-2003, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Yeah, it was stupid of me to be out screwing around with it. But it had been so long, I just needed to go and play. I'm sure you've all lost your car for awhile and had to screw around when it got back.
Old 03-21-2003, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Yeah - I feel the same way about sex - it's been so long since the last time!!! (..... sigh)
Old 03-21-2003, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by profssr2017
Yeah - I feel the same way about sex - it's been so long since the last time!!! (..... sigh)
Shouldn't have got married!
New Users please add your car's year and model to your signature line!
Never break more than you fix!
Old 03-21-2003, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Tell me about it - you haven't lived dangerously until you've lived with a woman going through menopause!!!!!!!! At least the first 30 years were good.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Friend of Warren

Re: I Hate My Car!

Quote:
Originally posted by gearhead290
I think the cause is that I ran it too low on oil, but this oil change only had 1000k on it and I never would have dremt I would burn 4 quarts of oil in 1000k.
Do the words "preventative maintenance" mean anything? On any car at least once a week you should as a minimum check the oil level, brake fluid/clutch fluid level, tire pressure, head lights/tail lights, brake lights, signal lights, grab each tire and pull it out at the top to check for wheel bearing play. I'm sure others can add to this list. But the above should take only 5 minutes out of your tv/video game watching day. If you trashed your engine from lack of checking the oil level you get no sympathy from me.

Gone, but not forgotten: '86 Carrera, '72 911E, 2001 Boxster
Old 03-21-2003, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Yep, sounds like an expensive lession...Good luck with her...& Sorry to hear of that problem.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Re: Re: I Hate My Car!

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurt V
Do the words "preventative maintenance" mean anything? On any car at least once a week you should as a minimum check the oil level, brake fluid/clutch fluid level, tire pressure, head lights/tail lights, brake lights, signal lights, grab each tire and pull it out at the top to check for wheel bearing play. I'm sure others can add to this list. But the above should take only 5 minutes out of your tv/video game watching day. If you trashed your engine from lack of checking the oil level you get no sympathy from me.
nobody is perfect. I would check all of that when I changed my oil, which was every 2500 miles. I did mean to check it everytime I put gas in it, but I would always forget. Just proves that ignorance is kicking my butt!
Old 03-21-2003, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Very expensive lesson.....

Don't hate the car, the car did not fail you, you failed it.

Poorer but wiser I hope.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 03-21-2003, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by AFJuvat

Don't hate the car, the car did not fail you, you failed it.

AFJuvat

Excellent Comment!
Old 03-21-2003, 09:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
least common denominator

Quote:
Originally posted by Nabeel
I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

j/k
Ditto here...
But not kidding.

Checking oil = good
Old 03-21-2003, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: