Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to overkill
Crankcase ventilation system

What is it? I mean is it a devise, a valve or something? I was told that if it fails that it could send crankcase pressure into the intake?!?! Is this true?
Old 03-21-2003, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Crankcase should be at slight vacuum because intake draws off the oil vapors or whatever gas is in there. It's supposed to go to intake. Intake is what ventilates it.
1987 328GTS
2011 528i

Last edited by Lawrence Coppari; 03-21-2003 at 11:17 AM..
Old 03-21-2003, 11:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

While we are on this...how much 'draw' is normal ? I have been chasing a hesitation issue for sometime and pressurized the intake and got a lot of flow through the Crankcase vent system. When I plugged the vent line at the J boot, I couldnt finde any vacuum leaks.
When at Idle, If I remove the filler cap the Idle picks up and is rougher. Is this normal?
I was thinking the hesitation might be from drawing too much from the crankcase vent line, perhaps something is wrong allowing too much to be drawn. I have thought of inserting a PVC valve in the vent line to limit the amount it draws.
Old 03-21-2003, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to overkill
Dude, wheres the vent line?
Old 03-21-2003, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
It's the biggest vacuum line on the car, I think it was ment to handle the extra blowby on start/warm up so that you don't pop your dipstick out or blow you seals. Your Idle picks up and is rougher because you are drawing in "false air" that your injection system isn't designed to compensate for. That's why your block is air tight
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 03-21-2003, 10:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

When I pressure tested the intake with 10psi, there was a lot of air 'flowing' thru the vent line, no leaks at the hoses or oil separator. If the block is air tight...then where could it be flowing?? Is there somewhere on the block that could be leaking air and causing a vacuum leak thru the crankcase vent system?
Old 03-22-2003, 02:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
When I pressure tested the intake with 10psi, there was a lot of air 'flowing' thru the vent line, no leaks at the hoses or oil separator. If the block is air tight...then where could it be flowing?? Is there somewhere on the block that could be leaking air and causing a vacuum leak thru the crankcase vent system?
This is not really a problem. The reason you get air leaking is because you are pressurizing many areas that aren't meant to see that kind of pressure, but instead a slight vacuum. One of these is the air/oil seperator. The air/oil seperator is designed to seal under a vacuum. When you apply pressure to it, you are actually pushing the snapped-on cap away from the o-ring. In contrast, when under a vacuum, the lid is actually sucked down onto the o-ring.

Personally, I don't like pressurizing the crankase. Look at the size of your oil pan and estimate the force you are appliying by pressurizing the crankase to 10 psi. I wouldn't think this would be very good on the oil seals and gaskets as well, since you are essentially trying to blow them out. Thus, I now allways disconnect the line going to the seperator before checking the intake system for leaks.

Rob
Old 03-22-2003, 05:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
also it could be going out around the piston to the exhaust valves if they're open
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 03-22-2003, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

There is an elbow on top of your filler vessel. My old one had cracked so I replaced it some time ago.
1987 328GTS
2011 528i
Old 03-22-2003, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: