Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1984 944 clutch pedal not returning completely

My 944 runs and drives good, only problem I am having is the clutch pedal only comes back about half way compared to the brake pedal. The car shifts just fine and the clutch operation seems normal.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It’s a sign that you have air in the clutch hydraulics.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I recently went through a similar problem on my 944 turbo; pedal would flop to the floor despite new slave and master, and clutch hydraulics being bled perfectly.

I finally got pretty fed up and removed as much tension as I could on the over center spring (still the same problem), then started lengthening the rod between the pedal and the master cylinder.

As I lengthened the rod, I could feel the pedal coming back. I finally had the pedal returning to its uppermost postion and the clutch operation was as good as it had ever been since I owned the car. The pedal is now perfectly adjusted.

I will be putting more tension on the overcenter spring to finish up the job (to help with keeping the pedal down at a stop light).

So, don't jump to the conclusion that it is air in the hydraulics. It might be something more mechanical.
We buy 944s and sell 944 parts (845-379-1944)
We rebuild torque tubes and instrument clusters for 944/968/928

Last edited by 944 Ecology; 06-18-2019 at 08:43 AM..
Old 06-18-2019, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

This was happening to me after I replaced the master cylinder so, If you did that recently, I would take a look under the pedal and take the circlip off of the peg coming from the master cylinder, if the master cylinder rod flops, you may need a new master cylinder ( or rebuild it at home) , but if it seems fine and stays pointing the same way just loosen the locking nut near the long screw off connector with the hole and screw it a bit off of the rod so that the length of the rod is overall a bit longer. You can test the pedal by just sliding it on and pressing without putting the clip on, but just be careful the rod doesn't fall off. Just keep unscrewing until it feels right to you and lock it down. If it never does, first try a good bleed at when the pedal is adjusted further back, and then I would look at replacing the master cylinder.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: