Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to ae1969
WOOOO HOOOOO My NA LIVES AGAIN!!

Hoooooooooooooray!!!!

Got the oil pressure to build up.....and then ............plugs in...and

SHE STARTED RIGHT UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so excited..... complete rebuild complete....

Hopefully she makes it to her first oil change!!

Ok I am gonna go drive her around.... see you guys later!!!!

Wooo hooooo..... uhmmmm maybe I'll get that exhaust whistle for her........ cause u wanna woooooooooooooo wooooooo
www.edmontonrealestate.ws

Last edited by ae1969; 03-22-2003 at 05:52 PM..
Old 03-22-2003, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
least common denominator

Thumbs up

Cool dude...
Just no third gear chirping and keep an eye on the oil level.
A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
WE WANT PICS

Just out of curiousity, why did you even bother with your NA if you already have a Turbo? (maybe i'm just envious)
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 03-22-2003, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats!

Enjoy driving her.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 03-22-2003, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pearldrum
Porsche Crest

congratulations...how long have you been rebuilding it? It's been several months hasn't it?
Old 03-22-2003, 05:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys!!.

CJ... I actually had mine torn down to the mains and was ready to install the callaway turbo kit i bought from marksportscts.... but lordgrommits car came up.... and I wanted a weekend car and a daily driver... so I bit the bullet and rebuilt her back as my NA (daily driver). SHe has been really good to me over the last 12 years so its kinda hard letting her go.

Anyways.... I ran her for about 100 miles around town...... She ran like a top... oil pressure good, temperature good.... no problems overall pretty fun...

BUTTTTT now i have one minor issue and a major one.......

Minor one:

Exhaust leaks under the car....... easy fix.

Major one:

NEED HELP ON THIS ONE!

Here is what we have done to rule out:

THE PROBLEM while driving:

1. While accelerating in every gear but 1st. We hear this clicking/clunking sound, from the rear of the car.

2. The noise is more apparent during acceleration but still there under steady cruising.

3. When i push in the clutch noise goes away.

4. The faster we go.......the louder and faster the frequency of the clicking. Speed related, not rpm. Higher gears at same speed.

OUR HIGHLY TRAINED DIAGNOSIS....hehehe:

1. We put the car on stands.....

a. we spun the wheels by hand and could hear clicking, the faster we spun. We could hear it/ feel it at the rear of the tranny.

b. we tried both wheels separately (while holding one). The noise was the same.

2. We ran the car on stands....

a. we ran the car in neutral there were no noises

b. we ran the car in 1st gear ...slight clicking

c. we ran the car in 2nd gear....clicking was faster and louder ..same engine rpm

d. we held each wheel separately....and noise did not change.

HENCE THE TRANNY (THE ONLY PART THAT I DID NOT REPLACE ON THE ENTIRE CAR)

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhh

In conclusion ....any thing we are missing??? for this diagnosis??? also.... when I was coupling the tranny to the torque tube it was a tight fit as you recall........ could??????? the input shaft on the tranny been pushed back and caused major problems??????
Old 03-22-2003, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Problems aside, congratulations, ae, isn't that one of the greatest fealings when she fires right off?
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 03-22-2003, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Sounds like you got grunged up CV's If these are new ones, were they sitting with the caps on - if they are your old ones, were they capped while they were disconnected? Cleaned, re-packed with grease?

Failing that, drain the tranny and refill with clean fluid - jack the car up and spin the wheels in gear - you may have dry spots from it sitting for a long time without movement..

Last resort, remove tranny and reinstall.

Doubt it is serious tranny problems. - the torque tube\tranny is a tight fit to begin with.

easier to get more clicking in 2nd because the wheels are turning faster - would have probably clicked like crazy in 5th.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 03-22-2003, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Well done ae1969. Its nice to know that there is another 944 on the road. The more the better. More cars means, more parts for less money.
Yahooooooooooo

http://www.p-caronline.com/directory/coupe

Porsche 944 Turbo, 1986
Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo, 1997
Old 03-22-2003, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

It clicks like crazy as it moved up the gears, the faster I went the worse the sound........... I thought it was a CV

but I swear the noise is right at the back of the tranny?? where the black cover is??? I could feel the tranny case. It felt like something was clicking and clanking in there???

I have never had a CV go on me... where does the noise normally originate???

Also when I spin either wheel i get the same noise at the back of the tranny? Shouldn't only one side give you the noise??? What are the odds they both went on me............

any ideas....
Old 03-22-2003, 10:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by AFJuvat

Failing that, drain the tranny and refill with clean fluid - jack the car up and spin the wheels in gear - you may have dry spots from it sitting for a long time without movement..

AFJuvat
Uhmmm I did replace the fluid.... but will try this as well....
Old 03-22-2003, 11:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
good job ae. say, you like to work on cars...feel free to come by to see me in seattle with 968 parts all over the garage in a couple of months.

Old 03-22-2003, 11:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
Differential Maybe?..
Old 03-23-2003, 04:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
Sounds like CVs to me... they are awfully darn close to the transmission, after all.
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 03-23-2003, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to XJOSHX Send a message via Yahoo to XJOSHX
Glad to hear she is going again Alex. Hows the turbo doing?????
1984 944 N/A (Sold)
1986 944 N/A (Sold)
Old 03-23-2003, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Blackfoot: I fly into seattle every few months....I would love to get my hands dirty on a 968

Frank: Differential... I thought that...but I pretty much rule it out... by spinning either wheel and holding the opposite one...and the clicking remained. No change in tone....

AF... changed the fluid same crappy sound.......
grrrrrrrrrrr. It still comes from the rear of the tranny. I could feel the gears with my hand, and I stuck my ear right to that trannies ass!!!!!!!

The good news ...

My friend has an 83 tranny I can use. He says I can take it and swap and see if the problem goes away...

As far as I know these are a straight swaps unless someone can tell me different....
Old 03-23-2003, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Glad to hear its running. All that hard work seems worth it when the engine fires up.

Sorry to hear about the odd noise. It certianly sounds like a tranny problem. Although when things start making noise after I put them back togeather its usually my fault.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 03-24-2003, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Thanks rog....

Yah the tranny thing is annoying me..... last night I had Mother Juvat on the phone and stuck the phone right up against the tranny...

I guess its not a common problem but definitely the tranny.

So I am in the market for one.....

Otherwise the car fires right up..... so I am eager to run her a bit...
Old 03-24-2003, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
cool, let me know when you're gonna be in seattle.

Old 03-24-2003, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Don't buy the tranny til you check out the CVs. Mine did the same thing you described (click increases as speed increases, louder clicking during accelleration and no clicking while clutch is engaged). Turned out to be one bad CV that was rebuilt for under $100.

Good luck.
Old 03-24-2003, 08:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: