Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

944S coolant leak

a friend called me about his car just springing a big leak. water runs down from the rear area behind the drives side front wheel.

been looking at PET and the WSM. just can't put my finger on where water would come from in that area. HCV and heater connections are on the passenger side.

I have not seen the car yet, just happened and we're just starting to investigate.

one thing I noticed in PET is the water drain for the HVAC system inside the dash. wondering if something coolant wise could have broken in there and the water came out that drain line?

any ideas?
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Before you take a look at the car, get to Autozone or OReillys for one of their "rental" coolant system pressure testers. (You leave a deposit and get it back when you return the tool).

It is much easier to diagnose a coolant leak under pressure when the engine compartment is cold.
We buy 944s and sell 944 parts (845-379-1944)
We rebuild torque tubes and instrument clusters for 944/968/928
Old 06-19-2019, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

If you get the coolant system tester be sure to pick up the cap adapter. The drain tube in the cap well blows out on the drivers side front wheel well.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have one of those pressure testers but not needed. water runs out when running.

had to use that to find the coolant weep from the head gasket on the 951.

but from working on these 944s I just can't recall anything in that area where water would come from.

ironic as I am in the middle of a R&R of an intake on a Jag 4.2 V8 due to the coolant hose under the intake in the valley blew. intake off and waiting for parts. when they towed it to the shop, pour water into the tank and it would just gush out the back of the engine. sigh...
Old 06-19-2019, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Water running out the overflow when running - Blown head gasket
Water running out after shutdown - Bad pressure cap
Old 06-19-2019, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

there is that middle of the road thing too...if the cap releases steam at below its rated value and allows the coolant to nucleate boil around the cooling passage near the exhaust valve...which makes the car run a bit hotter then blows the head gasket?

the dreaded loss of coolant with nothing on the ground but that sweet smell every once and a while.

I cull them when they start to go weak.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

this car has been running great for several years. I got a video from the guy showing the water running down under the car from somewhere around the drivers side front wheel.

after looking more closely it is likely coming from around the coolant tank, maybe one of the hoses popped or or ruptured.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
He should check all the coolant hoses, I've had to replace almost all of mine. Especially the one under the airbox (remove the airbox) and the short one on the top of the engine where the bleeder screw is.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: