Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Fresh air blower not working

Hello All,

I am presently trying to get the fresh air blower (heater) motor on my '83 944 to work. I have gone through the following steps with no success:

1. Pulled the three position switch from the dash. Cleaned contacts and checked for continuity. All passed.

2. Pulled the cover off the blower. Cleaned contacts, checked continuity through the resistor, connected fan to battery. Fan motor runs fine.

3. Checket the fuses and cleaned the contacts. Checked for continuity. All passed.

4. Searched for the heater relay. Haven't found it yet? Where is it hidden, and how do I check it?

Am I missing any other thing? Occasionally, when I hit a bump just right, the blower starts to work. Hasn't in a while. Other info about the car: it has air conditioning.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

E. C. Jones
Old 03-22-2003, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have gone through this with my 81 924 dont know if its similar or not.........disconect the positve and negative leads to the fan start the car and check to see if you have 12V going to the connectors.
If you dont there may be a wire in behind the center console disconected from its plug.......
hope it helps.
chris.
Old 03-23-2003, 10:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

You have covered most of it. Find the relay.

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

check the relay.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 03-24-2003, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

O.K.,

Pardon my ignorance, but where is the relay located? I have been looking for one that has the right combination of red, red/brown, black/purple and brown wires, but haven't located the relay. Any help here?

I haven't found the relay, so I bought a 30 amp relay and connectors to bypass the original. The ground side works fine, since when all is connected, I get all fan speeds. The problem is that I don't like to jimmy rig or "bodge" things together if I can help it. However, I also need the blower fan. Anyway, I didn't cut anything and should easily be able to put things back together once I find the relay... and the time!

Thanks all for the replies,

E. C. Jones

'83 944 N/A
Old 03-24-2003, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

here you go, located under the dash, drivers side.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 03-24-2003, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks!

I also have this chart from the Porsche manual. However, it lists these as being for model years 1984 and onward. Are they the same for the '83 model? My owner's manual lists relay #3 as the air conditioning system. Is this an error?

Thanks for the help.

E. C. Jones
Old 03-24-2003, 07:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: