Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

To put on a new head, or not?

I have an interesting question. I have priced a repair of just the corrosion on the head that I have and a decking for $300. That is the best that I can find.

I have also priced a rebuilt head for $450 with all of the work done and a 2 year warranty. $200 core or exchange.

My engine currently has 120k on it, and somebody I know who is experienced in rebuilding domestic automobiles suggested that if I put a rebuilt head on without putting in new rings I could get oil blowing by into the comb. chamber, and resultant smoking.

What do you guys think? Anybody with a better price/other suggestions?

BMW 318iS 1991
BMW 325iS 1988
Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon 1992

Quote of the week:

"This chemical is known to cause Birth Defects in California."

Poor Californians, they are always getting the short end of it, and now this?
Old 03-22-2003, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I really don't know why the rings would need replacing with a head rebuild. My 86 NA 944 has 215,000 miles (daily driver) on it and I did a head rebuild about 170,000 miles due to a cam belt break and bent valves. My rings are original and I have 150 lbs on each hole. A 944 with regular oil changes have been know to go 400,000 miles on the rings I have read and heard.

The rings slide on the silicon cylinder walls, reyolds 360 I think they call it (aluminum and silicon mix is the way the block is cast with the aluminum polished away in the honing to leave your rings sliding on slick silicon). The rings last bout forever unless there is a problem otherwise I think.

I am no expert this is my experience and what I have read. Domestic and a 944 block are totally dif, no sleaves in a 944 block due to the silicon.
Old 03-22-2003, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I wouldn't worry about it unless you have ran it extremely hot most cars can take a valve job up to 150k and not have any problem. If you have little or no ridge at the top of your cylinder walls most likely it will be just fine.
93 968 interior.
Old 03-22-2003, 08:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: