Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Oil light flashing 88 924S automatic

Hi my Porsche friends, I know this subject has been up many times in the forum and I have read about all of them on the subject. Anyway my oil light has never flashed in this manner before I have double checked and gone over what others have said to check. Anyway the car is running fine. I taken it out for some test runs, and no odd noises, no leaking fluids, and everything seems ok. I noticed the other day that when I start it in the garage the light doesn't flash, but when I drop it into reverse and start backing out, it starts flashing continually and doesn't stop till I shut it off. I have great oil pressure on my gauge and I've about run out of things to check trying to figure out why it's flashing. I was cautious about at first, but since it's been running great it's just annoying now. And yes I have checked and tested the sensors and cleaned all my grounds etc, etc. Any ideas or assistance would be great, thanks and have a wonderful day all...
Old 06-23-2019, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It’s an oil level problem, either your oil is low or your oil level sensor wire is disconnected or your oil level sensor is toast.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
In the Fires of Hell.....

Garage
Buy a new oil pressure sensor and be done with it. The light and the gauge are on 2 different circuits, so one can be fine and the other failed.

It's a common issue - happened to mine while driving down the highway.
I can fix your late 944 Cruise Control module - PM for details

Last edited by kdjones2000; 06-23-2019 at 12:51 PM..
Old 06-23-2019, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Which symbol is it, the oil level or oil pressure?
Old 06-23-2019, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom944 View Post
Which symbol is it, the oil level or oil pressure?
It's the oil pressure warning light, that's flashing. If I start it up and just sit there idling no flashing, but as soon as I drop it into reverse and start backing out, it flashes all the time.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdjones2000 View Post
Buy a new oil pressure sensor and be done with it. The light and the gauge are on 2 different circuits, so one can be fine and the other failed.

It's a common issue - happened to mine while driving down the highway.
I have a new oil sensor on the way from Pelican
Old 06-23-2019, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9FF View Post
It’s an oil level problem, either your oil is low or your oil level sensor wire is disconnected or your oil level sensor is toast.
I had just recently changed the oil and my levels were ok. I traced the level sensor wire and from what I could tell everything seems to be working properly, but then again I'm no Porsche tech either. I learn something new everyday with these cars. I've owned mine for over 15 years now lol...
Old 06-23-2019, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest Another possibility

I learned from another forum that the oil level light may also flash if the brake fluid reservoir is low. I have no confirmation that that is true but worth checking out I would say.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: