Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

968 starting problems??

I have a 93 UK spec 968, and recently it refused to start, and made a loud ticking noise when i turn the key -

After replacing the battery it was fine for a matter of days... then the battery went flat and yet again the same problem -

I'm guessing it's a problem in the starter motor, but does it sound like it needs to be replaced?

If so, is it a big job?

appreciate any help....
Old 03-23-2003, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Not difficult at all - it is right under the car, very easy to get at.

Howeever, by your description, I would be more inclined to suspect alternator failure first.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information
Old 03-23-2003, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

when the engine is running there is a good 14 volts shown on the dash, if the alternator was gone would it still show a good charge?

and if it is the alternator, how difficult is that to replace?

thanks
Old 03-23-2003, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I would start with taking the car to a shop and have it tested.

Alternator isn't difficult, just requires a bit of contortion to get to.

Voltage regulator (located on rear of alternator could be a likely culprit as well.

Any electrical changes made to the vehicle lately?

AFJuvat

Old 03-23-2003, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

the only electrical modification made has been a new stereo installed, which required a thicker wire from the loom as it takes more current than the a normal stereo....

apart from that the car is as it was when i baught it (2 months ago).....
Old 03-23-2003, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

When did this drain on the battery begin in relation to the radio installation?

AFJuvat

Old 03-23-2003, 11:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

i had the radio installed 1 month prior to the first problem, but the radio has hardly been in use as the car has hardly been used for weeks.... the brand new battery got drained with hardly any use.....

the car will start eventually after struggle using jump leads, but only once or twice off a freshly charged battery directly connected to the car....
Old 03-23-2003, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: