Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to 1.2gees
Have you checked ALL the fuses? How'bout the speedo connection?
Ahmet

Old 04-27-2003, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

What speedo connection ??? I didn't realize that there was a connection to the speedo ? How do I check that ?

shlim944
86 944
Old 04-27-2003, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Petie3rd

Send a message via Yahoo to Mrmerlin
Hi try this there is a micro switch on the front of the roof, in the center on the interior part, take the 3 screw covers off of the roof liner and tighten these screws you may hear the micro switch click mine were loose and the roof would not disengage, this piece is on the front edge of the roof ...Stan
Old 04-28-2003, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Petie3rd

I hope I explained this so you can understand. If you look at your sunroof there are 3 points of contact on the front edge of the roof 1 on the left and right are the mechanical flip latches, the point in the middle of the front edge has a micro sw in it, if the metal plate is loose on the front edge of the roof then it will not close the M/S, this will cause the roof to think it is still open.
Tighten the 3 screws that hold this plate to roof, you should hear the M/S click if it is loose, as an aside try pushing on the metal plate and see if you can hear the M/S clicking, or since you can take your roof with out, doing this try holding the M/S closed with your hand while you operate the sunroof switch.........M/S= micro switch...Stan
Old 04-28-2003, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

I'm with shlim. What speedo connection are you talking about? Personally I have done the microswitches to death and know they aren't the problem. SO lets get off that subject for while. I am fine manually removing the roof, but am curious about this speedo connection that was mentioned.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to 944S Boyeee
winddance......

What exactly is not working on the roof???

Motor itself?
Cable?
Microswitches?
Gears in roof?

Other than that, there isn't too much else in these sunroof systems.

944S Boyeee
Old 04-28-2003, 11:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Boyce, if you read my initial messages you will see that, like several hundred others, is that the roof won't unlatch to remove. I don't see this as a problem since it is so easy to take the roof off manually. All I care about at this point is what this speedo connection is.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to 944S Boyeee
Sorry - have no clue what this speedo thing is all about.

So, your roof works in every other way but the retraction of the arms for removal, correct? I read and posted to your other threads, but I'm still not getting the exact problem (it's not you, it's me!).

I can't help trying to help you fix it, sorry!!! This would drive me nuts (well, actually it already has about 5 times).

944S Boyeee
Old 04-28-2003, 01:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Petie3rd

So winddance, did you check the M/S on the front portion of the roof, did you try holding the plastic plate while retracting the arms with the key switch in the acc position? It may be possible that a wire has come loose from this switch, let me know.
As far as the speedo sensor this is tied into the sending unit mounted on the left side of the transaxle just infront of the halfshaft, if your speedo is working then this speed sensor should also be working, this info does not apply to early cars that have the speedo drive from the left front wheel..Stan
Old 04-28-2003, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to todwic Send a message via Yahoo to todwic
Quote:
Originally posted by winddance@att.n
Yep, Aaron. Been there done that. Here is the solution, it is so simple I am surprised no-one has ever mentioned it on any of the threads:
1) Open roof
2) Put screwdriver between roof and one of the rear support bars, put light pressure on screwdriver to slide pin in the bar out of the roof. Lift that side off. It takes very little pressure if you do it one side at a time.
3) Repeat on other side.
That's what I did for a long time before I tried to unlock it and it worked, about 2 wks ago! lol
'86 951
Providing ignorance one post at a time.
Old 04-28-2003, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

I have the opposite problem. I could close the roof while driving and the roof will disengage causing a flapping roof.
Old 04-28-2003, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Ornery Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by Eleg
I have the opposite problem. I could close the roof while driving and the roof will disengage causing a flapping roof.
That's a microswitch adjustment problem almost certainly. Check the tech article on how to adjust the microswitches.

Aaron
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 04-28-2003, 09:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Winddance,

it finally worked - but for my sunroof, I had to start off with the passenger side (driver side for US, this is UK spec car) and it takes abit more pressure to get the "L" out of the slot. Working on the driver's side was impossible - seems like the mechanism has too little play on that side.

Man, do I miss having the roof off (only had that once before when the roof released by itself and I could not get it back).

I rechecked the operation of my sunroof and noticed the following:

1. Hitting the raise or lower button - the motor NEVER stops either direction - is this normal ??
2. However when lowering, the 2 raising bars stop at the "lock" position but the motor still runs - I presume slipping on clutch
3. Pressing the microsoft at the front of the sunroof opening does nothing at all - sunroof button still works - normal ??
4. Putting the key in position 1 and pressing the button does nothing - sunroof does not disengage - no sound at all !

Looks like the OPC may be right, my wiring may have been modified. That would make it a first for this hopeless OPC !

I really would like to get my roof back in order - I'm kind of afraid of breaking the raising bar if I continue to force the bar sideways.

It would seem that the first course of action is to get the microswitch (front of sunroof) re-connected - how do I get to this switch and how do I check the wiring ? Where is it connected to ?

The second action would be to try out the 2 microswitch at the motor. I've never seen them at all - wonder if they are still there !

Any advice ?

shlim944
86 944

Old 05-06-2003, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: