Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Stuck Lug Nuts

Hi All, the shop that did my brakes must have put about 300 pounds of torque on each of the lug nuts. Has anyone placed heat on the lug nits to try and remove?

I did use a hole saw for the back left wheel and chipped away the mushroom piece once it snapped but hoping for a quicker way to accomplish this.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

On more than one occasion I've taken my car back to a shop for them to loosen the lug nuts they put on without a torque stick. Neither were happy to do it but they did it.

I've also taken my car in to have the tires rotated for the express purpose of loosening stuck lug nuts.

Both are a lot less work than trying to do it without power tools.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Tire shop broke one trying to take it off. I am tempted to bring it back to the shop but the brakes were done a few years ago.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have had this issue and no one but me torques up the lug nuts. Some sort of galling or corrosion can make the nuts hard to remove sometimes. Never to the point of breaking a lug nut though. As these are aluminum nuts it's not a great idea to lest a shop monster them on.

I think there is a Porsche TSB suggesting using a moly lube on aluminum lugnuts. I have always left them dry and jumped on the breaker bar if one got stiff.

IMO do not try to bust them loose with an impact if they are stuck.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Use a 1/2 inch breaker bar, a 6" extension and a 6 point 19mm socket. Apply foot pressure if necessary and break free all 5 lug nuts, lube, and retighten to 100Ft Lbs with a cheap torque wrench.

The shops charge extra to check with a torque wrench. Ha Ha...

Also improperly torqued lugnuts can lead to warped rotors or hubs or wheels, so always check torque after a shop has had the car...
Old 07-07-2019, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

if someone is using an impact wrench on your 944's lug nuts, relieve them of the tool and repeatedly apply the tool to their skull.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Patrick

Garage
Agreed!
There is a special (soft) socket for these lug nuts.

I'll hold them, you apply the tool...
Old 07-08-2019, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfarah View Post
Agreed!
There is a special (soft) socket for these lug nuts....]
+1 get the soft socket and use a torque wrench. The soft socket is the most often used special tool in my toolbox.

Old 07-08-2019, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Where do you buy this soft socket any part #'s or size you can fill me in on please??? I'm the idiot that needs to get held down and get beat in the head...just had no idea how much I was putting my cars wheels and rotors in danger....it's at the dealership still but this good information for when I do get it home. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHillary View Post
Where do you buy this soft socket any part #'s or size you can fill me in on please???.
I bought mine from our forum host Pelican many years ago. I went for a good quality tool as I use it often but there are cheaper available. Mine is by Sir Tools made in the USA 19mm soft lug deep impact socket.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: