Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Nardo944

Garage
Porsche 944 Sunroof

Hi all,

I have been fixing up a 88' NA for the past year or so and I have finally been putting some attention into the small electrical things that need to be attended to. The sunroof, in particular, has been an enormous pain in the you know what to diagnose. Many of the forums I read describe the issues with the sunroof mostly relating to the plastic gears that strip themselves of their teeth. In my case, the sunroof does not move or make any noise. I checked all of the fuses and relays and they seem to be working perfectly. Is it possible that it is the 'micro-switch' that is between the sun visors in the roof? Or maybe it is the console switch inside of the car? If not, what do you all think it is?

Thanks for your time,

Ben K.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Hi Ben - check out the link below to one of our tech articles on the 944 roof operation. It might help you troubleshoot some of the issues. Let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/944_Sunroof/944_sunroof.htm
Old 07-10-2019, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Nardo944

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry at Pelican Parts View Post
Hi Ben - check out the link below to one of our tech articles on the 944 roof operation. It might help you troubleshoot some of the issues. Let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/944_Sunroof/944_sunroof.htm

Thanks so much. I'll check it out right now.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Pelican Parts Forums
Old 07-10-2019, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I went through the same process, after poring over schematics and after testing everything that turned up good, it was the console switch. If you separate the backshell of the connector, all the wires can fall out and you have to get them back in the proper locations. The previous owner of my car had not.

It can be the micro-switch at the headliner, it is easy enough to test or bypass that for troubleshooting.

The best way to figure out if it is gears or an electrical issue is to unplug the connector and provide 12V right at the motor in the rear fenderwell to see if it moves the mechanism.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Nardo944

Garage
Thanks so much for the reply. After digging in myself I am fairly certain that it is either the microswitch or the console switch. To access the microswitch, you must manually prop up the sunroof via manually cranking the motor which is located in the driver's side rear of the interior correct?
Old 07-11-2019, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
944 addict

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mytrplseven
After trying in vain to replace all the drive mechanisms for the sunroof, I said, "Screw it" and converted it all over to manual latches. I love it.

Some people try to turn back their "odometers." Not me. I want people to know 'why' I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Nardo944

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytrplseven View Post
After trying in vain to replace all the drive mechanisms for the sunroof, I said, "Screw it" and converted it all over to manual latches. I love it.
I've been seriously considering doing the same. I have no desire just to prop the sunroof up, but rather pull the whole thing out. Do you know of any places that sell the manual sunroof latches for the rear?
Old 07-12-2019, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Patrick

Garage
The sunroof mechanism appears to a definite weak design on our cars; I've toyed with the mechanism so many times over seven years to finally get the system 100% just this past week. Continually adjusting the microswitches, breaking several microswitches (@ $15/ea.) replacing motor/clutch assemblies, chasing down screwy wiring can make a guy/gal go mad!
Old 07-12-2019, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Nardo944

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfarah View Post
The sunroof mechanism appears to a definite weak design on our cars; I've toyed with the mechanism so many times over seven years to finally get the system 100% just this past week. Continually adjusting the microswitches, breaking several microswitches (@ $15/ea.) replacing motor/clutch assemblies, chasing down screwy wiring can make a guy/gal go mad!
I couldn't agree any more . Seems like the most long-term solution is to just bite the bullet and convert to manual latches and ditch the primitive sunroof mechanism. Hardest part is finding the damn manual latches since they only came on pre 83' models I believe
Old 07-12-2019, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
944 , porsche , sunroof