Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Odomoter & Trip Meter not working.

Ugh.. another weird issue...

1986 944 Turbo

Odometer stopped working, bought used one (yes, could've just changed plastic gear myself but that is another story).
  1. - First used one arrived, installed, bad. Sent back
  2. - Second used one arrived, installed, bad. Sent back
  3. - Sent in the original to have Cory fix it, he said gears were good (already replaced) but issue with solder joints or a resistor or something. Fixed. Installed and YAY! for a few miles anyway... Odometer and trip meter stopped working after a short time.
  4. - Bought NOS speedo from Only944, it was in KPH so they included new gear (just in case) and instructed to swap out all associated gears from MPH one and swap the faces. Finished last night, YAY! Installed and double YAY odometer and trip meter working! At least for around 5 miles when odometer and trip meter again stopped working. UGH!

After trip meter/odometer stopped working there was a point where the trip meter started working again but only after it ticked off around a tenth of a mile.

Guesses anyone?
Seems electrical to me but no idea where to look or test...

Old 07-18-2019, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Try the sending unit on the transmission.

Early 944's had direct cable drive for the speedo/odo. Late cars went to electronic Hall effect senders. They are available, but a bit pricey
Old 07-18-2019, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theer View Post
Try the sending unit on the transmission.

Early 944's had direct cable drive for the speedo/odo. Late cars went to electronic Hall effect senders. They are available, but a bit pricey

if it was bad wouldnt that make the speedometer itself not work?

My speedometer works fine (other than when I put the needle back on after putting new gears in and did not put on right at 0 MPH).. just the odomoter and trip meter...
Old 07-18-2019, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
In the Fires of Hell.....

Garage
I had similar issues to yours, that turned out to be due to some chipped features on the trip ODO wheels and gears, which would cause some binding. I fixed it for a bit with a different set of gears, but even that died within a month or so.

The permanent fix for me was to get a different cluster and adjust the mileage to match my car.

Seems like you have tried this approach already, and it didn't work for you.

Take the setup to a speedo shop and maybe they can come up with a good fix.

Good luck.
I can fix your late 944 Cruise Control module - PM for details
Old 07-18-2019, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
How do I know the right gear (ie how many teeth) to get. When I took mine out today I found all of the disintegrated pieces of amber colored gear. I am in a 1990 944 S2 Cabriolet.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: