Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

944 engine compatibility

Is swapping a 3.0L into a older 2.5L car possible with minimal modifications?

70 RS clone
Old 07-23-2019, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I have an '86 repowered by a '94 968 engine.

The work was done by the shop I used for my 944. It's a pretty straight forward swap but I had a parts car and also swapped in the torque tube, shifter linkage, 6 spd transaxle, suspension, brakes, hubs, etc and wheels.

The shop estimated 3-4 days full time for the mechanical conversion and 2-3 days for wiring, + labour for any additional work I needed done or they found, which was:

engine mounts,
clutch,
front end service plus chain tensioner pads,
billet aluminium pulleys,
new brake fluid reservoir,
RMS,
camshaft cover seal and hardware
metal heater control valve,
fuel filter,
new tie rod assys,
A/C delete,
new shifter insulation,
alternator and power steering aftermarket adjustment rods,
transaxle inspection and installing an LSD,
new cv bolts,
bespoke fuel and brakelines,
oem fuel hoses at the tank
fresh suspension rubber mainly in the rear as the front was done recently,
koni sports shocks with lowered springs in front
bilstein sports shocks with clubsport helper springs in the rear

If you are in the FB "Porsche 944 NO SPAM" group I uploaded a lot of wiring and transplant info that I consolidated from numerous forum posts.

Last edited by J1NX3D; 07-24-2019 at 04:04 PM..
Old 07-23-2019, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Not too bad of a swap , if you have all the parts . ... and then a few wires need to be switched. i 've done both late into early and early into late
Old 07-25-2019, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have swapped a '92 968 engine, torque tube, transmission into a '84 chassis.

From my understanding and study of the wiring, it is much easier if you are swapping into a 85.5+ chassis, as the wiring is much easier and removal of steel gas tank is not required to fit the 968 transmission. Tach signal and the warning light connections took some time - still not sure if the "low oil" warning light that I configured works.
Care needs to be taken with the theft alarm circuit - if not powered the car will not start

In the '84 chassis I did have issues with brake master cylinder clearance with the 968 intake - the solution was to replace the motor mounts with parts that were 10mm shorter - and it is still very tight fit - I think the 968 has a different brake booster design.

Vacuum lines are different also - the 968 uses a vacuum actuated heater valve - the 84 is cable operated.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: