Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Unhappy Emissions test

Ok guys, I really need some help here.

The turbo failed it's second test. Here's the problem:

High speed emissions results: (25 mph)

HC(ppm) standard:162 current reading: 140 PASS
NOx(ppm)standard:1163 current reading: 2226 FAIL

Low speed emissions results: (15 mph)

HC(ppm) standard: 167 current reading: 347 FAIL
NOx(ppm)standard: 1273 current reading: 2860 FAIL

This was my second test. The first was 50% higher than these. This is not good. I used a product called "Guaranteed to pass" made by CRC to get my emissions down to this point.

People suggested the EGR valve, until I got to my mechanic, who told me the car doesn't even have one. He told me that he knows several turbos right now that are in the same position I am, and nobody has solved it yet.

The car has about 130K, with the only mods to the engine are Autothority Stage II chips and a K&N filter in the stock air filter housing. I talked to my muffler/cat shop and he said a new cat wouldn't cut the NOx.

Just this year they started using a dyno-type machine at all testing stations so they could test our emissions under load. I can't avoid this, I've got to get this sorted out. If anyone has any suggestions I'd like to hear them.

Thanks
Old 03-24-2003, 08:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Razor944
How about i give you my 1984 944 for a straight up trade.. it will pass emissions :-)
Old 03-24-2003, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

This year they went to looking for NOx. I guess that's what is failing all the turbos.

I may have to file for an exemption, since I have no EGR.

That b***tard Saddam is behind this, I just know it.
Old 03-25-2003, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
It really looks like from the data you supplied that you have a vacuum leak in your system. I was just looking over my smog results from last year and my NOX is way lower than yours.

Things to check:

Broken connections on the cyclic valve

Broken or cracked "J-boot' they crack mostly on the underside

AFM that has had the plug drilled, or has had the black plastic cover removed.

Third party chips (remove for test)
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 03-25-2003, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I'm personally not familiar w/ the tests as I don't have them in my area but I sold two of my 951's to one guy in Sacramento and one in Chicago. Both had problems w/ gutted cat and stage 2 autothority chips. I sent them some stock boxes and factory banjo bolt and they passed. I just sent some yesterday to a friend having the same problem, waiting to hear how it goes. Autothority's run very rich throughout the throttle range(even idle and especially on the 951TS). BTW: as Scott said, make sur you don't have a simple vacuum line problem, how is your cbv(circulation valve, blow-off valve etc.)? Make sure it's good too. Ever replace your 02 sensor?
Old 03-25-2003, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

It passed the CO on both tests. It wouldn't surprise me if there's more vacuum leaks, I've already fixed a couple. This car is right at that point where a lot of the original lines are pretty dry.
I'm also going to go over the exhaust, to make sure I don't have any leaks in that. I'm ordering a new O2 sensor today. I'm sure it has the original in there.
When I looked at the plugs, they show evidence of running a little lean. Hmmm...
Who was it that said "Get a 944 if you like to drive your car. Get a 951 if you want to work on your car"?
Old 03-25-2003, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

suck my tail pipe

Send a message via AIM to Frank B
Hey Sid,
There is a Fuel injector temperature sensor on your car that adjust the amount of fuel to send to the injector. THis keeps the car from runing to lean/rich. Check it, Mine was the original one and I've just replaced it, it's supposed to be a blue color mine was baby blue and white and yellow.. (ew).. check it out, This will affect the performance of the car, (mine runs accelerates better since replacing it). also, make sure your cat is in good shape..Sorry I cant offer anything else, I just don't have the experience yet....
good luck.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Sid- you just reminded me how lucky I am- I dont have emissions testing here in the rural Midwest!!! not YET anyway.. If I end up moving to Chicago I'll have to worry tho~~~

88 924S Guards/ Black ~ 10 years as a Daily Driver and STILL SMILING!
87 NA Diamond Blue Metallic ~ Gone
Old 03-25-2003, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

does your mekanik know how to adjust your car Sid?.. sounds like it's running rich...
Old 03-25-2003, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Put your stock chips back in!
Old 03-25-2003, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Yeah, I've got some work to do tonight.
Did I mention the dry rotted fuel line, or the p-steering leak, or the dead sway arm bushing? It's all poop.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

did you swap out the dme?..
put the stock one back in for emmissions..
Old 03-25-2003, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I haven't had to deal with emmisions test for 10 years, but here is what we used to do:

Change out the chip
retart the timing
lean out the fuel mixture
Run it to about a 1/8 of a tank and add two bottles of isopropyl alcohol

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 03-25-2003, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Roger you are proposing exactly what I've heard some people around here do. I know some guys with heavily modified V-8's and Buick V-6 turbos, and they've told me about the alcohol. They swear by it. At this point I'm trying to do the right thing. I got the O2 sensor out tonight, it looks like a big part of the problem was right there. It was ugly.

Now I've got an even bigger problem. I went inactive reserve in November '98 (with 11 years of service), and of course today the Army left me a message on my answering machine. Uncle Sam wants ME. AGAIN.
Old 03-25-2003, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

Hi Sid, so, it looks like the O2 sensor huh?.. good job on narrowing it down..
Also, congratulations on getting called to serve.
Keep your eyes and ears open.

Do well,
Frank B
Old 03-25-2003, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I really don't think they want me back. I had had my fill of the Army when I got out, and I wasn't shy about it. hehe

I have to call them in the morning, I'll post whatever it is they tell me. I'll tell you though, the wife is not a happy camper tonight.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

ooh.. well, good luck anyway..
Old 03-25-2003, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Maybe they just need an address to send a check for all your backpay.

Gods speed and good luck

81 924 N/A

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
suck my tail pipe

hehe.. that's a good one..
Old 03-26-2003, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Well, looks like I won't be leaving just yet. I got ahold of AR-PERSCOM this morning. They offered me a job as an instructor at Ft Knox. There are worse ways to spend a war.

However, at this point it's still voluntary, and I'm pretty happy with the day job, so for the time being I'm staying put. Cheering from the sidelines, so to speak. If they call again and say it's compulsory, then I'll do the right thing. Until then, I have this little red car demanding attention. So...

The O2 sensor I picked up at the parts shop was the wrong type (of course!), called today to get the right one. Ok, they have it, it only costs twice as much as the one I bought yesterday

It's ok, I didn't want that money anyway.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: