Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Garage
Sad tale and insurance valuation question

So our beloved 944 was caught in the worst hailstorm I've ever witnessed and the once pristine and original body is no more. Fully restored mechanically, 59k miles and the gorgeous Guards Red body is hammered. Looking for suggestions on finding accurate valuation comparables. The 944 seems to have gone up in value lately with some nice examples going for surprising amounts.

My 18yo son and I were invited to a cool National Guard event in Boise, ID which is about a 9 hour drive from our home in N. Idaho. Just to make it even cooler, I opted to take the 944, which we bought from my Dad a couple years ago and restored to top mechanical condition. And of course, I wanted him to drive as its a nice curvy mountain 2-lane road much of the way.

Great trip down on Wednesday morning - leaving at 4am and enjoyng the sunrise and cold mountain morning. The even went well with perfect weather for tours of cool military hardward - tanks, Bradleys, artillery, simulators, mission planning. Very impressive and the Idaho National Guard is at the vanguard of equipment and readiness compared to other units nationally. It surprised me that they are considered the best in this great nation on so many levels and part of it is they have one of the very best facilities and THE best huge remote chunk of land dedicated to real live fire exercises.

On the way back last night, we drove into a rainstorm north of Riggins, ID. Light hail appeared and we opted to put our flashers on and turn around to go back to Riggins to protect the car under a gas station awning and wait it out.

In mere seconds even as we were slowing, a hailstone the size of a walnut hit the hood, and suddenly hundreds were raining down. Before we got fully stopped, they were bombs the size of golf balls. A U turn took only 5 seconds on the narrow mountain road but it got worse and the hail stones were the size of a handball with a few the size of a tennis ball. The hits on the roof were so loud I recall the impacts made our ears ring like gunshots. The hammering on the windshield knocked the mirror off into my lap and the glass began starring. We were literally in fear of physical harm and I kept expecting the immense rear hatch to blow.

For about 3 minutes, we kept at maximum allowable speed as the road became littered with ice rocks and underlying pebbles of hail. A dangerous situation developed where these huge stones were ricocheting off the canyon walls and hitting us in the sides as well, causing rocks the size of loaves of bread to tumble onto the roadway. It was literal Armageddon as the Porsche took an incredible hammering and I warned my son to keep his arm up next to his head in case a rock came through the side glass.

We drove out of the hail and reached Riggins a mile later, and got under the Chevron canopy. The car was hammered but the composite roof panel did not fail, and the starred windshield did not let anything through to us. Other vehicles came several minutes later, their shocked occupants getting out to assess the damage. Windows blown out, pickup canopies with holes all the way through them, an RV pulled in with holes in its roof. Incredible damage.

Reports of trees down and mudslides came in from some drivers. People needed duct tape and plastic. A heavy duty forestry truck that had been fighting a wildland fire pulled in for fuel and I asked the driver if he was heading north. Yes.

My son got on his phone to look at radar and I filled up the car as we decided what to do. The super-cell was moving north where we needed to go for another 4 hours, and the only other option was to drive back south several hours and go up another valley - adding 6 more hours atop that.

Going north was the best option. After watching the weather cell veer off the I-95 and a smaller cell following it did not blow up into the same intensity, we headed north when the forestry truck did, figuring a heavy vehicle full of talented crew, chainsaws and winches would be the right team to move any downed trees.

Pretty quickly, we started seeing rocks that had been bounced off the canyon walls onto the roadway. Respecting that, I slowed and put the high beams on to ensure I did not miss one, not wanting to add a flat tire to our misery. Now we were the only vehicle in sight but knew we'd find the forestry truck if anything blocked the road. Only a light rain fell. A thin mudslide was negotiated with no drama. Then another larger one. Around a curve, a Pontiac was in the watery ditch against the canyon wall.

Further on, small branches on the highway we picked our way over. Then a mile further we saw a short line of about 20 cars at a full standstill. Parking, we opted to put on raingear, grab flashlights and walk up to see the holdup.

A huge mudslide over the interstate had grabbed a semi. Not wanting to be pushed over the cliff into the river, the driver had opted to steer into the flowing mud and the canyon wall. It was buried in 2-4 feet of mud and rocks. A sheriff from up north was just pulling up, using his truck's 4WD to negotiate the shallow end of the mudslide.

While waiting for a front end loader to arrive, everyone got out of their vehicles to talk and share their stories. A BMW hybrid with its rear window blown out and the passenger mirror housing crushed by a hailstone. A Camry with its rear window blown out and water running into the back seat. Campers that looked like someone had taken a baseball bat to their exteriors.

After about 2 hours, the front end loader arrived from the north, having had to work its way through two smaller mudslides, and we were on our way. The rest of the drive home was uneventful and thankfully the area in front of our driver's seat was fine while the passenger side sustained the worst of it.

Very sad about the Porsche. She looks pretty forlorn out there this morning with her body panels beaten. But happy that we were not immobilized by glass failure and made it home despite the damage.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has had recent compilations for the value of their 944 or can steer me in the right direction? I'm concerned the insurance company will total it and would like to ensure its full market value is properly reflected. Drive safely, one and all.

Doug

Old 08-10-2019, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Doug, very sorry to hear as we know how much work you have in the car, but at least there were no serious injuries.

Try this valuation tool: https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1983-Porsche-944
Old 08-11-2019, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Damn! Sorry to hear. Print some of the recently sold examples from BAT . That shows them what the current market has become on good 944. $$$
Old 08-11-2019, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Be proactive and start getting documentation together that can help establish a value. Comparable sales, your receipts, what you have spent upgrading the car etc. You may want to call Hagerty or another collectible insurance company who specializes in antique cars for advice with the claims process.

When this is over, you will want to insure your collectible cars with a company that specializes in that. The main reason is that you can insure for a "stated value." At claim time, stated value is what you want.

Look at companies like JC Taylor Antique Auto, Hagerty, Grundy. Those companies specialize in risks like Classic and Antique cars. Many mainstream companies like State Farm, GEICO, and Progressive also offer classic car insurance. Chances are though it's underwritten by another company, so you would want to read the fine print.

Sorry this happened to you.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Patrick

Garage
Really sorry to hear about your experience with the storm. As for current valuations, I signed up
the 84' with Hagerty back in June; they informed me that my car was valued @18, based on all the restoration effort put into her. While I haven't seen these values on early 944's (at least not yet), I did settle on an agreed amount with the company just to cover majority of my costs, which has been substantially more...

Good luck!
Old 08-11-2019, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry your 944 sustained considerable damages and good luck sorting through the insurance process. The most important part of this story is that neither you or your son were injured. Please post some photos of your car. Interested to see how well it held up.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Sorry to hear! Crazy story you won't soon forget. I lost my beloved 82 targa 911 in a severe rainstorm last September, was pleasantly surprised by the way USAA treated me, but even they said "You should be covered with stated value policy, not by us."

In the end my car was totaled, but I got a good settlement and it allowed me to get into the 968 journey

Check the Paintless Dent Repair folks in your area (PDR) - they can work magic. It won't be cheap but far cheaper than a repaint! Hail down here in Texas is pretty severe; they start advertising heavily any time a hailstorm hits. I had two giant dents taken out of my 968 for $250. You probably have 20 or more to deal with (?) but the cost might be something you can handle...good luck!

Old 08-20-2019, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: