Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Krikit belt tensioner gauge

Have anyone used this type of tension gauge to adjust timing and balance belts?

If so, whatís the value they should have according to the measurement units of the tool? (Lbs or Kgs)

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-10-2019, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I have and rested against the Porsche one... Very variable compared to the Porsche one particularly on the balance shaft belts.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishnz View Post
I have and rested against the Porsche one... Very variable compared to the Porsche one particularly on the balance shaft belts.
Which were the readings for the timing belt and balance belts on the Krikit tool vs the Porsche tool (4.0-4.3 on timing belt and 2.7-3.0 for balance belt)?

Last edited by morbid; 08-10-2019 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: Correction
Old 08-10-2019, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

That tool is very inaccurate, it’s barely ok for checking the ancillary belts like power steering or compressor/alternator, but I wouldn’t let it near the cam or balance belts.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbid View Post
Which were the readings for the timing belt and balance belts on the Krikit tool vs the Porsche tool (4.0-4.3 on timing belt and 2.7-3.0 for balance belt)?
Balance shaft belts 2.7 =/-0.3; Cambelt New 4.0 +/- 0.3, used 2.7 +/- 0.3
Old 08-12-2019, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishnz View Post
Balance shaft belts 2.7 =/-0.3; Cambelt New 4.0 +/- 0.3, used 2.7 +/- 0.3
Thanks for your reply, but maybe you didnít understand my question to you... You said you have both tensioning tools, and you have rested the Krikit tool against the Porsche one and the Krikit gave variable numbers of tension against the Porsche one. My question to you was: knowing the tension values that should be done for used and new cam and balance belts with the Porsche tool (which I mention, and you repeated in your post quoting me) what were the variable measurements you get with the Krikit tool with new cam and balance belts, to see the difference. Thanks again!
Old 08-12-2019, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I have a write up on the Krikit here that has the information you are looking for.

Dave951: Krikit Belt Tension Tool - How to Use & Recommended Settings
Old 08-13-2019, 04:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waz951 View Post
I have a write up on the Krikit here that has the information you are looking for.

Dave951: Krikit Belt Tension Tool - How to Use & Recommended Settings
Thanks Waz951! Very helpful! But, How do you know that the new cam belt is 40 lbs., and new balance belt is 27-28 lbs. with the Krikit? How do you know that those readings of the Krikit are equivalent with 4.0-4.3 and 2.7-3.0 readings of the Porsche tool respectively?

Thanks again!!
Old 08-13-2019, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I believe that when Bruce originally did the write up he compared the readings vs the traditional gauge to come up with the Kirkit values. The suggested values are the ones he concluded and he is a pretty good authority on the subject as he developed his own tool (the 920x) for this purpose.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waz951 View Post
I believe that when Bruce originally did the write up he compared the readings vs the traditional gauge to come up with the Kirkit values. The suggested values are the ones he concluded and he is a pretty good authority on the subject as he developed his own tool (the 920x) for this purpose.
Who's Bruce? Are you taking about the article (the write up) in the link you have provided for me?

Excuse me for asking too much, just want to know a to be sure in the use of the Krikit...
Old 08-13-2019, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Who's Bruce? Are you taking about the article (the write up) in the link you have provided for me? .

Bruce is the owner of Arnnworx (Home) and has developed lots of tools for the 944 over the years. I archived his original article on the blog because I could no longer find it on his site.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for your reply, but maybe you didnít understand my question to you... You said you have both tensioning tools, and you have rested the Krikit tool against the Porsche one and the Krikit gave variable numbers of tension against the Porsche one. My question to you was: knowing the tension values that should be done for used and new cam and balance belts with the Porsche tool (which I mention, and you repeated in your post quoting me) what were the variable measurements you get with the Krikit tool with new cam and balance belts, to see the difference. Thanks again!
The figures I quoted were different to yours... the range is +/- 0.3 not just + 0.3. (so 3.7 - 4.3 and 2.4 - 3.0. The Krikit conversions I used were as per Bruces figures but the matter is not what the conversion figure was it is that it was very variable across multiple readings.

Rather that getting embroiled in the detail of the conversion figures I think the main point to take out of this thread is that the Kitit tool is not really the correct tool for this job.

There are some folk who feel comfortable about setting the belt tensions 'by feel' and I have reset the tension on many of those cars and they are typically well off the correct tensions with balance belts often sounding like they have a supercharger under the hood.

My recommendation to you is to either buy or borrow either an Arnnworx tool or the proper Porsche one.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

You're right, beamishnz. You gave the exact range of tension for both belts, I gave only the highest reading... and thanks for your recommendation. When you said that Krikit is not the correct tool for the job, I'm with you.

On the other hand, for me it's obvious that the Porsche tool is the best one for this job. I also understand that for many, if not for all, the Arnnworx tool is also excellent for tightening the belts. But the real reason for my post was not to promote the Krikit tool, I don’t sell them… It was because I really wanted to know the exact conversion figures between these tools. The info given by Waz951 clears my mind about that. And if it’s not in the blog anymore is because Bruce develop his own tool.

I also wanted to know if there was any variations of the Krikit tension tool registered, because an average can be taken from that to know the true tension provided by the Krikit tool in comparison with the Porsche tool, which I don't have, and nor is it available to borrow in my area in Puerto Rico. Got to take a two hour trip for that.

So, for me the exercise of comparing the details of the conversion is not bad. I think it’s healthy trying to get the better tension of my belts with the tools I have (a kent-more and krikit), so I could get my car to where the Porsche tool is available to correct it. Or maybe the next tool I’ll buy could be the Arnnworx… If I decide not to sell my 944 after I finish it's restoration.

Thanks to all!!

Last edited by morbid; 08-13-2019 at 03:34 PM..
Old 08-13-2019, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: