Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

How do you remove those stupid bolts....

Ok, so I am trying to remove my intake manifold, and the lower bolts came out fine, but the upper ones don't have heads. They are just threaded rods that screw into the block. I got the nuts off the end, but the rods remain.

Would putting the nuts back on with loctite work? Assuming the loctite bond is stronger than the one to the block I could just screw them back off once the glue had dried.

My other option is to take the EGR filter off and the other stuff that is holding it in to the side, but that is not going to be fun.

Also, when I go to put the manifold back in, can I use normal bolts to facilitate the removal in the future. Any advice would be great! Thanks!

If it ain't broken, drive it until something is.

Have you spent quality time with your Engine Gnome lately?

Defend Your Joy
Old 03-25-2003, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Those are studs - they are in with loctite RED. - don't even try to pull them unless they are damaged. - need heat (around 400 degrees) to get it to loosen itself up.

Replace the nuts with new ones, torque them down to spec - I use a little loctite BLUE - keeps them from shaking loose, but is removable with hand tools

No, you can't use bolts.

AFJuvat

Ihr Brunnen der nutzlosen Porsche Information

Last edited by AFJuvat; 03-25-2003 at 05:14 PM..
Old 03-25-2003, 05:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

ok, but....

I still can't get the manifold out with them in! Aside from a prybar that is. =) I got two of them out, one by itself and the other after a little work with no damage, but with the bottom mount where it is and the angle the little rods go into the block, it is still well stuck. =( Also, I did not see any red loctite. There was some red stuff that looked like disintegrated gasket on the bottom the the two rods that did come out....

Defend Your Joy

Last edited by Pike; 03-25-2003 at 05:21 PM..
Old 03-25-2003, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

you are going to have to use the lock nut method. Screw one of the nuts back onto the stud about a third of the way down. Screw a second nut onto the stud, tight against the one you just put on. Use a wrench and turn the inner nut to take the stud out.
Rember left-loose right-tight.

I have tons of spare parts, let me know what you need.
Old 03-26-2003, 01:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

AFJ has convinced me not to take the others off, he says that I should not have gotten the first ones off, so I am going to try other things first. That is how I got the second one off by the way.

Defend Your Joy
Old 03-26-2003, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: