Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question 951 exhaust system

Hello all, I have a non original free flow exhaust, on my car. The Original cat is long gone. The exhaust is to loud and unconfortable for every day driving, so I was thinking of fitting a middle muffler to try and make it a smoother ride.

Anyone know, how much back pressure the Turbo engine needs?
Has anyone done this?
Thanks

http://www.p-caronline.com/directory/coupe

Porsche 944 Turbo, 1986
Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo, 1997
Old 03-26-2003, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

too loud??? What kind of exhaust set up do you have? You don't need any backpressure at all, the turbo provides it. Adding another muffler will just hinder your performance by lowering HP+TQ and increase the turbo lag.
Old 03-26-2003, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to afx
Some people have added a straight through muffler where the cat would be and that somewhat lowers the sound and would not hurt performance much. You could also get a high flow cat, that would definatly lower the sound, but it would also hurt performance.

Http://members.rennlist.com/afx
Old 03-26-2003, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

What I have is a straight pipe and what looks like a Borla muffler. The reverb causes vibration and makes the ride unconfortable, just like a Harley Davidson. I can hear the engine back firing with this exhaust.

I know that this may be a turn on for most people, but if you have to drive it all day long, it is an unconfortable ride, especially when your idling.

http://www.p-caronline.com/directory/coupe

Porsche 944 Turbo, 1986
Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo, 1997
Old 03-26-2003, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The test pipe w/ a the stock muffler section has a nice tone and is a straight through design.
Old 03-26-2003, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: