Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
curtisr
 
curtisr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,173
Garage
Can't seem to find coil springs

And to think I thought I was good at searching online... Anyways, I've been looking for 350# front lowering springs for my '87 924s but seem to be coming up empty handed. I've tried the 'usual' but appear to be in need of 'schoolin''. Any suggestions?
__________________
1977 924 Guards Red (parted and sold)
1987 924s Alpine White (sold)
1987 924s Kopenhagen Blue (my Lowencash tribute track car)
1987 924s Garnet Red
1982 928 Silver (sold)
Old 08-29-2019, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
9FF 9FF is offline
Registered User
 
9FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisr View Post
And to think I thought I was good at searching online... Anyways, I've been looking for 350# front lowering springs for my '87 924s but seem to be coming up empty handed. I've tried the 'usual' but appear to be in need of 'schoolin''. Any suggestions?
Nobody makes 350# lowering springs, iirc 250# is the max off-the-shelf lowering spring which is made by Weltmeister and is 1in lower. Anything else requires a custom-made spring or coilover suspension.
__________________
Mike A
9TECHNIK | TRANSAXLE ÄRA
1986 944 (Street); 1986 944 (Track); 1986 951; 1989 951 (3.0L 8V); 2000 996 Cab.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
curtisr
 
curtisr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,173
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9FF View Post
Nobody makes 350# lowering springs, iirc 250# is the max off-the-shelf lowering spring which is made by Weltmeister and is 1in lower. Anything else requires a custom-made spring or coilover suspension.
In other words, I'd have to buy a coil over kit which can be had with 350# springs? Seems a bit of an unusual option to me but, nevertheless.
__________________
1977 924 Guards Red (parted and sold)
1987 924s Alpine White (sold)
1987 924s Kopenhagen Blue (my Lowencash tribute track car)
1987 924s Garnet Red
1982 928 Silver (sold)
Old 08-29-2019, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
9FF 9FF is offline
Registered User
 
9FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisr View Post
In other words, I'd have to buy a coil over kit which can be had with 350# springs? Seems a bit of an unusual option to me but, nevertheless.
Yep that’s basically the only option if you want the freedom to use any spring rate on our cars plus the ability to lower as much as you like.
__________________
Mike A
9TECHNIK | TRANSAXLE ÄRA
1986 944 (Street); 1986 944 (Track); 1986 951; 1989 951 (3.0L 8V); 2000 996 Cab.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
curtisr
 
curtisr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,173
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9FF View Post
Yep that’s basically the only option if you want the freedom to use any spring rate on our cars plus the ability to lower as much as you like.
That explains a lot... Okay, my searching-skills-ego will remain mostly intact then and now I know exactly what to be looking for. Thanks!
__________________
1977 924 Guards Red (parted and sold)
1987 924s Alpine White (sold)
1987 924s Kopenhagen Blue (my Lowencash tribute track car)
1987 924s Garnet Red
1982 928 Silver (sold)
Old 08-30-2019, 04:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SF East Bay
Posts: 1,839
Ground Control coilover kit is simple. You can order with any spring-rate you want. I prefer longer 10" springs so they don't lose all tension on extension and rattle around. I have photos of install if you want, it's very simple and easy.
https://groundcontrolstore.com/collections/944/products/coilover-conversion-kit-83-91-porsche-944-944s2-944-turbo-968-front-only

I also convert sealed struts to rebuildable units to accept large variety of inserts. Personally like Koni Motorsports 8611 inserts as they have independent rebound & compression damping adjustments. Also have shorter-stroke to match lowered suspension.

Last edited by DannoXYZ; 08-30-2019 at 03:03 PM..
Old 08-30-2019, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
 
curtisr
 
curtisr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,173
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Ground Control coilover kit is simple. You can order with any spring-rate you want. I prefer longer 10" springs so they don't lose all tension on extension and rattle around. I have photos of install if you want, it's very simple and easy.
https://groundcontrolstore.com/collections/944/products/coilover-conversion-kit-83-91-porsche-944-944s2-944-turbo-968-front-only

I also convert sealed struts to rebuildable units to accept large variety of inserts. Personally like Koni Motorsports 8611 inserts as they have independent rebound & compression damping adjustments. Also have shorter-stroke to match lowered suspension.
Thanks much for this. Will pursue coil-overs purchase and your instructions.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SF East Bay
Posts: 1,839
DIY - HOW TO INSTALL GROUND CONTROL COILOVER KIT (difficulty 3/10, time = 2 - 5hrs)

1. Remove struts from car and disassemble. Free rental spring-compressor available from Autozone.




2. OPTIONAL - Remove factory spring perch leaving a 5mm ledge for coilover sleeve. I did this because I wanted to use 11" wide rims up front.




3. Test-fit coilover sleeve. Be sure to measure existing strut diameter (largest portion) when ordering so they can send proper sleeve. If you have sealed-struts with large cap, account for that because you'll have to slide sleeve over it. Kit comes with some O-rings to fill gap between sleeve and strut housing. Some people reported that minor clunking noises can result from this gap. So I made some shims from PVC plumbing (optional).




4. OPTIONAL - glue shims to strut-housing with epoxy. Then glue coilover sleeves on top of that




5. OPTIONAL - mask off coilover sleeve for painting. My struts were in bad shape anyway.




6. Reassemble strut with coilover spring and top-perch and you're done!!!




Note, if you're tracking car, corner-balancing must be done afterwards. Cross-corner weights can be WAY off and car will still be level and look OK, but handling will be severely compromised.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
curtisr
 
curtisr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,173
Garage
Outstanding. Many thanks for this. GC kit is on its way.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:15 AM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.