Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 924/944/968 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Steering Rack screw

My power steering fluid been leaking and I just got the re seal kit and took the rack out but I'm having trouble with this one like washer screw thing I dont know what it's called and I used a hammer and punch like you're supposed to but I just cant get it to move or go anywhere and I was wondering if anyone had any advice or experience with this
Old 09-11-2019, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Looks like you may be tightening it instead of loosening it? You need to hit the bottom to make it go lefty loose-y. See the video here:

Old 09-11-2019, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 944Nick View Post
My power steering fluid been leaking and I just got the re seal kit and took the rack out but I'm having trouble with this one like washer screw thing I dont know what it's called and I used a hammer and punch like you're supposed to but I just cant get it to move or go anywhere and I was wondering if anyone had any advice or experience with this
That jam nut is relatively thin and large diameter and so it easy to get it slightly cocked and jammed up in there when you only strike it on one side. Try alternating your hammer/punch blows from one side of the slot in the nut to the other side to keep it straight in the threads and keep it from wanting to tilt in the hole. And, as the other poster said make sure that you are loosening it, not tightening.

I just did this a few months ago and it seems that you really have to smack that nut to get it to move so keep your strikes balanced. That is what worked for me.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

After a bit of hammering I finally got it loose, thank you to both of you I probably would've given up and sold it and bought a new rack without your help lol
Old 09-13-2019, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

drkshdw,
Is the whole procedure for disassembly of the 944 rack on a you tube video? My rack needs to be resealed as well and I was unaware there were kits and I found watching your video instructive, and I am hoping you may have posted the whole thing on you tube or in this forum somewhere. Thank you.
RedMacklin
Old 09-14-2019, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmacklin View Post
drkshdw,
Is the whole procedure for disassembly of the 944 rack on a you tube video? My rack needs to be resealed as well and I was unaware there were kits and I found watching your video instructive, and I am hoping you may have posted the whole thing on you tube or in this forum somewhere. Thank you.
There are several videos onYoutube on this topic. Here is one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM1_UbR11vs

Last edited by Spring44; 09-15-2019 at 04:57 AM..
Old 09-15-2019, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: